If I have an Xbox game on disk am I able to download it for free?

Discus and support If I have an Xbox game on disk am I able to download it for free? in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; I have 2 xbox systems that my kids share. One is set up as home xbox. We have NBA2K20 on disk. Is it possible to download it for free so we can have it... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by XboxOne2020, Jan 3, 2020.

1. XboxOne2020
    XboxOne2020 Guest

I have 2 xbox systems that my kids share. One is set up as home xbox. We have NBA2K20 on disk. Is it possible to download it for free so we can have it loaded on both xbox systems? When we download a game we can play it on both systems at the same time
    so we can play together. The disk costs the same as the download so if I have to buy it twice just because we only have the disk that is very unfortunate. Thanks for your help.

:)

XboxOne2020, Jan 3, 2020
  2. ThisGameIsSucky Win User

Digital games can be shared via the "Home Xbox" feature or the Xbox family settings. Physical copies of games on disc have to be inserted into the console every time you want to play that game regardless of which console your account is on and so forth.
    You have to download the game off of the disc and use that disc as a sort of license activation key whereas buying a game digitally will lock it to your account making your account the key to the game. To put it in layman's terms, you'd either need to buy
    the game digitally on another account or your own and share that account with the family, or get another copy for the other Xbox if you wish to be able to play both at the same time.

Here's some link about the "Home Xbox" and Family Settings on console.

https://beta.support.xbox.com/help/hardware-network/console/my-home-xbox

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/browse/xbox-one/security/Family settings
  3. XBF Chris J Win User

Hello XboxOne2020,

Thank you for posting on the Xbox forums. As this question has been answered, we will be locking this thread. If you ever have another question or would like to start a discussion, don't hesitate to create a new thread.
    We look forward to hearing more from you soon!
  4. XBF Leo G Win User

Hello XboxOne2020,

Thank you for posting on the Xbox forums. We understand that you are interested in learning if you can use the home console feature to share the license for an Xbox One disc. The

home console feature
    shares only games, subscriptions and some downloadable content. There is some content that developers do not allow to be shared. You would need to purchase another disc or the digital version of NBA2k20 in order to play it on both consoles.
    Thank you again, and we look forward to hearing from you.
  5. Noahgriff Win User

Hello, you will have to download it off the disk on both consoles, then you can play it on one console at a time as you only have one disk. So if you want the two children to play together but on different consoles you will have to buy 2 disks.
  6. XboxOne2020 Win User

Thank you for your help. We will not be buying the disks anymore :)
Thema:

1. If I have an Xbox game on disk am I able to download it for free? - Similar Threads - game disk able

2. No disk games will play

in XBoX Games and Apps
    No disk games will play: All disk games start for a few seconds then goes back to home. Ive fully reset console and reinstalled games, but no joy. Ive deleted my profile and logged back in, no joy. Ive held power button...
  3. I can't buy games digitally that I had on disk, any help?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I can't buy games digitally that I had on disk, any help?: So I recently dusted off my Xbox One S after leaving it be for a while because the disk drive broke on me; and decided to just run everything all digital. I had two games that I had installed via...
  4. Putting a digital game onto my external disk

in XBoX on Windows
    Putting a digital game onto my external disk: I bought a digital download of Age of Empires 2 (played AoE3 for years on disk but never 2), but I want to download it to my 1T portable drive instead of downloading it to the C drive. I can't...
  5. Disk games sometimes not needing disk to play

in XboX Insiders
    Disk games sometimes not needing disk to play: I’ve seen this crop up a few times now on my series x where I own a disk copy of a game, assassins creed Valhalla in this instance, and usually have to insert the disk to play the game. I’ve...
  6. Disk/ Game pass licensing issue

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Disk/ Game pass licensing issue: Hi, why is it that if I have a disk version of a game, my Xbox installs the game pass version of the game?...when I don’t want the game pass version because I’m cancelling game pass. I bought...
  7. Being able to play games without a disk

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Being able to play games without a disk: Hi, I'm very confused as I have games that a month ago required a disk to run, being able to run perfectly fine without one as if they are digital downloads when they aren't, not all the games...
  8. Will disk Xbox 360 games ever be able to offically run on PC?

in XBoX on Windows
    Will disk Xbox 360 games ever be able to offically run on PC?: With the advent of the Xbox play anywhere feature for digital Xbox One games for Windows 10. I'm wondering if Xbox 360 games will ever be able to take advantage of Xbox play anywhere too? Or...
  9. Can't play a Downloaded game because... the disk wasn't able to be read?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Can't play a Downloaded game because... the disk wasn't able to be read?: So thats one of the three errors I get. Dark Souls is the game I'm having the issue with. Another one is The Game Couldn't start, Try Downloading the game again. But the game isn't showing up on...
  10. how is it able to play a physically bought game without a disk?

in XBoX on Consoles
    how is it able to play a physically bought game without a disk?: Hi everyone, One of my friends had recently bought COD Ghosts(physical copy) and after the initial installation he is able to play without the disk in the console. I borrowed his Disk and it...