Installation stops when moving games and corrupts data on external SSD

Discus and support Installation stops when moving games and corrupts data on external SSD in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I just bought a Crucial MX500 1TB and a Ugreen USB 3.1 enclosure to move all of my games from a mechanical HDD and get better load times, but things... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by JasonCollins7, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Installation stops when moving games and corrupts data on external SSD

I just bought a Crucial MX500 1TB and a Ugreen USB 3.1 enclosure to move all of my games from a mechanical HDD and get better load times, but things are not going well. I'm at a loss here and I don't understand what is happening.

Here is what has happened, in order:

1. I plugged in the SSD to the front USB port of my Xbox One X, it prompted me to format the drive for games, I clicked format and it did nothing - the SSD did not show up in Manage Storage.

2. After waiting a while and looking online to find out that the format should only take seconds with a new drive, I unplugged it and plugged it back in. The option to format popped up again, so I clicked format and this time it worked.

3. I proceeded to test with 1 game, choosing to move Apex Legends from the external HDD to my new external SSD. When I came back, the game appeared to have installed, but when I tried to open it I got an error that the game was corrupt.

4. I formatted the drive again from the Xbox and then do a fresh install to the SSD. The game worked. Encouraged, I
    move Neon Abyss from the external HDD to the external SSD. It also worked!

5. Thinking that the format had fixed the problem, I set the whole external HDD to
    move to the external SSD.

6. A few hours later, I came back and found that the transfers had stopped partially done and could not be resumed. I also found that the previously working Apex Legends and Neon Abyss, now no longer work. None of the games on the SSD, even the ones that
    successfully transferred before the error, can be launched.

8. After manually deleting all of the games from the SSD, the storage availability does not change, it still displays that the drive is ~35% full, even thought it says there are no games or apps on it.

I'm completely at a loss here. I don't know what to do or what is wrong. I tried plugging the SSD into my MacBook Pro and it sees the drive, but can't read it of course. I tried opening up Disk Utility and running first aid on the SSD and it immediately
    gives me a "successful" message, which I assume means that the SSD isn't faulty, right?

:)

JasonCollins7, Oct 18, 2020
  2. Turaeon Win User

Rise of the Tomb Raider only starts with DLC installed, if console is switched offline.

If anyone is interested, we managed to find that the problem only occurs if the game is installed on an external ssd.

If the game is moved from the ssd to the internal hdd the problem does not occur. Formating the ssd and moving the game back did not fix the problem. Other games launch fine from the external ssd.

The problem seems to be linked to (external?) ssds and (Rise of the Tomb Raider?) DLCs.
  3. ChickenTitan Win User

Loading games off external Hard drive doesn't work (Xbox One)

The drive is not that old and I have only had two games on it from when I got it. The data on it is ok because when I move the game from the external to internal it works fine. So the data's not getting corrupted. The games only don't work when played
    off the external drive.
  4. BCE Grimm Win User

Move Save Games from Internal HDD to External Storage

Will copying the game from the internal to external move the save games as well as the installed game? When I try to manage the game it just shows the installed game and not the save data.
  5. EggsBoxJuan Win User

Rise of the Tomb Raider only starts with DLC installed, if console is switched offline.

Interesting. I have the game and all it's DLC installed on an external hard drive with no issues. The only difference I can see is that you're using an SSD hard drive where I use a plain old WD Elements.

I'm wondering if it's something to do with the nature of how SSD drives store data compared to none SSD drives.

Do you have the external drive set as the default location for all downloads/installs in the storage settings on the Xbox ?
  6. kaishkaish Win User

ModernWarfare: Warzone (only the battle-royal)

Hopefully it's a one time thing so you don't have to redo it. Sometimes data can become corrupted or the cache being cleaned.

Try installing the game on an other hdd/ssd and see if that helps.
Thema:

Installation stops when moving games and corrupts data on external SSD

1. Installation stops when moving games and corrupts data on external SSD - Similar Threads - Installation stops moving

2. Installation Stopped

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Installation Stopped: So, yesterday I tried to launch The Hunter: Call of the Wild, and it said it needed an update. I started the install and before long it had said installation stopped. I then canceled the update...
  3. Modern Warfare Installation stopped issue

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Modern Warfare Installation stopped issue: Hello, i been having issues trying to update the game, initially i had to free up space to update it, so i did but when i try to update it said “installation stopped” then it said “ game file...
  4. Downloading game pass games keep getting installation stopped.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Downloading game pass games keep getting installation stopped.: I recently got game pass and when I try to install games on my Xbox one X the game will install for some time. Then just go to "installation stopped". Sometimes it will automatically restart, but...
  5. When i install a game from a disc it says installation stopped.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    When i install a game from a disc it says installation stopped.: When i try to download a game it says installation stopped. This happens for xbox one and 360 games and happens on both of my xbox ones that are on different wifi connections. Movies work, but...
  6. Instalation stopped. Error code 0x8007045d

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Instalation stopped. Error code 0x8007045d: So this has been going on for months now I can update games just fine but when i try to download red dead or doom eternal for example they go for a few seconds then stop, telling me something went...
  7. Installation Stopped, Need Help If Possible

in XboX Insiders
    Installation Stopped, Need Help If Possible: Hello insiders, I am currently trying to reinstall Black Ops 3 onto to my xbox 1 and it installs to 4.70 GB(ready to start) out of 44.73 GB then stops every time. I remove the disc and put it back...
  8. How come every time I try to move a game to my external drive the installation stops?

in XBoX on Consoles
    How come every time I try to move a game to my external drive the installation stops?: I've had this external drive connected to my xbox one s for a long time and have always never been able to download games onto it, but in the past I have always been able to get around the issue....
  9. Latest Xbox updates (feb 2020) stopped internal moves or installs on my external drive

in XboX Insiders
    Latest Xbox updates (feb 2020) stopped internal moves or installs on my external drive: Constantly would get installation stopped errors. Drive could be seen. reformatted drive. Drive works on a PC. Tried everything Eventually took the Xbox out of the insider omega preview and...
  10. Moving game to external HDD - Installation Stopped

in XBoX on Consoles
    Moving game to external HDD - Installation Stopped: Hi Guys, So I'm having the installation stopped error when moving games from the internal hard drive to an external HDD. The hard drive is 1TB and is USB 3.0 (here's the product -...