Is it still possible to connect a Kinect v1 for Xbox 360 to a Linux computer?

Discus and support Is it still possible to connect a Kinect v1 for Xbox 360 to a Linux computer? in XBoX on Windows to solve the problem; I decided to see if I can still work with an old Kinect that I had in the house, just as a fun project. I have rewired the cable to be able to work... Discussion in 'XBoX on Windows' started by AqibJamshed, Aug 6, 2022.

1. AqibJamshed
    AqibJamshed Guest

I decided to see if I can still work with an old Kinect that I had in the house, just as a fun project. I have rewired the cable to be able to work with an USB 2.0 cable, adding a 12V charger based on the kinect cable information that I found, and it does get recognized by my computer, which has Fedora Linux 36 on it.

The "lsusb" and "usb-devices" commands show this information about the device:

lsusb: Bus 001 Device 037: ID 045e:02c2 Microsoft Corp. Kinect for Windows NUI Motor

usb-devices (the vendor "045e" is Microsoft, and the Product ID(ProdID) "02c2" is the model "Kinect for Windows NUI Motor"):

I still don't know exactly what to do with the Kinect, but I'd like to code on it and see what it can do. The problem is that I've tried to run the camera with this "libfreenect" utility that I found, but it doesn't recognize the device, and most of what I've seen in Google about compatibility with Linux is from 10 years ago, so my question is: Is it still possible to use this model in a computer? And if so, do you know what are my options? What utilities should I get? Any help is appreciated, and please tell me if you need more information since I'm a bit clueless on this problem.

:)

AqibJamshed, Aug 6, 2022
  2. JosefLBohorquez Win User

Hi and thanks for reaching Microsoft Xbox gamer's community. My name is Josef.
    I'm an Independent Advisor and a Microsoft Xbox user like you.

Hope you're doing great today buddy

Sadly nope, Linux systems are not compatible with Kinect.
    And, you can use the Xbox one kinect, but with windows. Not Linux :c

Sorry
  3. MrNasty32 Win User

Internet Error when trying to connect

Belkin F7D2301 v1 (01)

Motorola SBG6580-G228

360 Previously worked when wired to Motorola

XBOX One is unplugged and 360 back to factory defaults

Still will not connect
  4. Lighte Yagami Win User

To all you Kinect Haters

[quote user="xenomorph v1"]

@ Kiddeth... Surely you Kiddeth. So the Kinect is free then is it? Pffffft

[/quote]People forget when comparing the launch price of the xbox 360 to the xbox one, that the xbox 360 didn't come with Kinect...I call it selective memory.
  5. ChuteTable9048 Win User

Kinect 2 availability

Xbox 360's Kinect = Kinect v1.

Xbox 1's Kinect = Kinect v2.

Don't believe BestBuy employees who probably only earn minimum wage. THEY are NOT Microsoft. Microsoft has discontinued manufacturing Xbox 360 consoles. They wouldn't discontinue manufacturing Xbox 1 Kinects, yet! There is officially NO Xbox 1 version 2
    Kinect. Read the start of my post. It provides a simple answer. People just add random stuff to the title of what they're selling and it can be easy for customers to get mislead by the title.
    What I meant in the parenthesis is that the version of Kinect v2 for Windows IS discontinued, but what he told me is that the Kinect v2 for Xbox One was also discontinued. I am not interested in the Kinect version 1. My question was about the Kinect v2 for
    Xbox One availability.

But apparently it is still available, at least for now. Only the kinect v1 is not available on microsoft website. I had to do some research just to be sure.
  6. BugOut Machine Win User

Take a deep breath

I just want to add that I have the Kinect v1 connected to my 360 and although I rarely play Kinect games, I absolutely LOVE the voice command capabilities as well as the gestures. If you have never used the Kinect, you really should not knock it until you
    try it, especially with v2 being even more advanced.
Thema:

1. Is it still possible to connect a Kinect v1 for Xbox 360 to a Linux computer? - Similar Threads - still possible connect

2. Why is the DVR still unreliable and outdated in every possible way? It needs a complete...

in XboX Insiders
    Why is the DVR still unreliable and outdated in every possible way? It needs a complete...: It's been almost 2 years since the launch of series consoles and the DVR is still messed up. You can't share clips/screenshots stored on your external drive directly from your xbox instead you...
  3. is the 1 dollar 36 mth xbox upgrade still possible in 2022?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    is the 1 dollar 36 mth xbox upgrade still possible in 2022?: just wanna know the 1 dollar upgrade for 36 months still ok? and what if im having a current 3 month gold live, should i just top up to another 36 month, or wait until it ends?...
  4. Is it possible to reset password if I'm still logged in with my Microsoft account on the...

in XBoX Accessibility
    Is it possible to reset password if I'm still logged in with my Microsoft account on the...: I have forgot my password, and the password reset form hasn't worked. I have tried the password reset form multiple times already. So I'm wondering if it is possible to reset my password if I'm...
  5. Is it no longer possible to use the Xbox app to type on your Xbox console? If it is still...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Is it no longer possible to use the Xbox app to type on your Xbox console? If it is still...: I'm sure most of can agree that typing on Xbox using just the controller sucks. It's slow, and it just "doesn't feel right". I used to be able to use the Xbox Console Companion app on Windows 10...
  6. How is booting still even possible

in XBoX on Consoles
    How is booting still even possible: I was playing a game of siege an we were beating the opposing team me having most kills 2nd round an i got a invite from some dude his gamertag is [Mod Removed - See Guidelines] invited me to a...
  7. Xbox Game Pass app still shows Xboxes I’ve signed out of as a possible choice to install my...

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox Game Pass app still shows Xboxes I’ve signed out of as a possible choice to install my...: I wanted to download Fallout 76 (even if its trash) for game pass with the new update on the app. Now its asking me for what console I want to install on. I get four options and the only...
  8. Is it still possible to request backwards compatibility for xbox one?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Is it still possible to request backwards compatibility for xbox one?: There's two games I've been wanting backwards compatible for years now, and no idea if it's possible to still get requests heard. The first title I'm shocked that has never been made is Beautiful...
  9. I have tried every possible solution and still cannot leave the Minecraft Beta

in XboX Insiders
    I have tried every possible solution and still cannot leave the Minecraft Beta: I downloaded the beta a while back and want to be able to play with friends again. I’ve tried all of the methods on the Insider app, but none of them seem to have worked. Has anyone else had this...
  10. Is it still possible to upgrade to Xbox Game Pass Ultimate at a discount using Xbox Live...

in XBoX Sales and Promo
    Is it still possible to upgrade to Xbox Game Pass Ultimate at a discount using Xbox Live...: Hi, I am sorry if this has brought up before, but I have not been able to find a clear answer on this. :-/ Can someone please tell me if it is still possible to upgrade to Xbox Game Pass...