Is my xbox one causing damage to all my external drives?

Discus and support Is my xbox one causing damage to all my external drives? in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Since I've bought this console I've got to remplace my external disc drive three times (Different brands and models). I've noticed every time that I... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Mad Max Damage, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Is my xbox one causing damage to all my external drives?

Since I've bought this console I've got to remplace my external disc drive three times (Different brands and models).

I've noticed every time that I unplug an external HDD, with the console shutdown, an alarming "PIIIIIIWWWW!" sound comes form the drive. This probably means that the console don't cut off the power coming from the USB port and when we unplug it we damage
    the unit. Disconnecting the ac power ends by the same way, with the HDD protesting loud and clear.

After buying my third HDD, I wonder why there is no option to safely remove a usb drive. This one year old drive is having issues of bad sectors and loss of data like the others, and all started as soon I started using it on the console.

I supposed that people with the drive always connected to the console haven't got this problems, but I'm sure that everybody that use the drive for more than game storage got this issues too.

There is no way to use my non solid state drives safely with my Xbox One? Have to use different drives because the console is bad dessigned is pretty a deception.

:)

Mad Max Damage, Sep 3, 2019
  2. Mad Max Damage Win User

That was one of the settings I firstly touch when I realized about the issue, but only affects to sleep mode. I remember that you can see the light of the drive going off, but holding the unit at the hand can notice is sitll the actively spinning.
  3. choppyseize Win User

It sounds like the HD is still in use when you're unplugging it. Even with the console off it can still be powered on. Especially if you have the console set to update even while off. I would wait a bit before unplugging it.
  4. Mad Max Damage Win User

That was one of the settings I firstly touch when I realized about the issue, but only affects to sleep mode. I remember that you can see the light of the drive going off, but holding the unit at the hand can notice is sitll the actively spinning.
  5. Mad Max Damage Win User

I always full shut down the console, to maintain the power consumption low. The usb still send power. I can see that, because you can still charge the controller. But for some reason, the console not distinguish between a controller or a HDD, and still
    in continuous reading.
  6. ScottTHEscammeR Win User

If you think having the xbox is sleep mode when you disconnect is causing this problem [doubtful] simply hold down the power button until you hear the xbox fully power down before disconnecting the HDD
Thema:

1. Is my xbox one causing damage to all my external drives? - Similar Threads - causing damage external

2. Having extremely low Upload speed on Xbox One, causing FIFA and other games to be unplayable.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Having extremely low Upload speed on Xbox One, causing FIFA and other games to be unplayable.: I have a network cable out of my router and to a switch which connects my PC and my Xbox One S, I have terrible, terrbile FPS stutters on FIFA 20 and I think I might have found why, when I run a...
  3. Movies & TV app hasn't worked for about 3 weeks. Caused me to lose money on a download.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Movies & TV app hasn't worked for about 3 weeks. Caused me to lose money on a download.: I rented a movie over the Xbox Marketplace on September 16th but when I tried to watch it the app failed and I got the error code 0x80070490. I tried all of the troubleshooting on the Xbox website...
  4. Xbox one causes WiFi to restart

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox one causes WiFi to restart: I bought a new xbox one that causes the internet to restart a minute after connecting to it wirelessly. It definitely resets the router as all other devices connected loose connection at the same...
  5. thrustmaster controller causes engine damage in league play

in XBoX Games and Apps
    thrustmaster controller causes engine damage in league play: every time i get in league play, i have to quit because i'm getting engine damage, even when im trying not to over rev. all my friends use controllers. no damage for them. me using a wheel i get...
  6. DLC content cause game to restart because "A Content Package is damaged or has ...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    DLC content cause game to restart because "A Content Package is damaged or has ...: I had a 360 with all the guitar hero games and lots of DLC, as well as disc imports for each previously released game to save hassle of swapping discs. My 360 died and I pretty well stopped...
  7. Xbox one console caused damage to one of my game?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox one console caused damage to one of my game?: I booted up my xbox one today and as it was starting up I heard a horrible noise coming from inside the system. As it was still waking up the noise continued and it seemed to be coming from the...
  8. Could this cause damage?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Could this cause damage?: My 1 year old has been absolutely entranced by the power button on my console and has been switching it on and off repeatedly the past couple days. It is now turning black randomly for a few...
  9. Cooking fumes cause any damage??

in XBoX on Consoles
    Cooking fumes cause any damage??: Hi. This might be a dumb question but the OCD in me compels to ask... My XB1 is in the living room and kitchen is just off the living room. My girlfriend burnt dinner something fierce and...
  10. Switching Game Discs Causes Dirty/Damaged Disc Error

in XBoX on Consoles
    Switching Game Discs Causes Dirty/Damaged Disc Error: It seems like after the latest preview update that i got around March 24th has done something to my disc drive or atleast this problem didn't start till the latest update was downloaded. If I'm...