Issues with Xbox Audio, third party video apps and Samsung Q90r Soundbar

Discus and support Issues with Xbox Audio, third party video apps and Samsung Q90r Soundbar in XboX Insiders to solve the problem; I've been asked to post this here by someone on Twitter so would be great to get an opinion. I have my Xbox plugged in to my Q90r (7.2.4 soundbar with... Discussion in 'XboX Insiders' started by /u/Bobbaford, Oct 1, 2019.

1. /u/Bobbaford
    /u/Bobbaford Guest

I've been asked to post this here by someone on Twitter so would be great to get an opinion. I have my Xbox plugged in to my Q90r (7.2.4 soundbar with rears) using hdmi. When the Xbox is set to 5.1 uncompressed audio, 5.1 content from the likes of Netflix and Prime Video is presented properly using the three front speakers on the soundbar and 2 rears. However, when I select bitstream out and Dolby Atmos bitstream format, the rears are not used anymore for the same 5.1 content from the third party apps and the surround audio is presented by the side speakers on the soundbar. For Atmos content on Netflix, the same seems to happen and again, the rear surround speakers are not used properly. This is a greater annoyance because it should work as as an appropriate Atmos source to make the most of my Atmos compatible hardware and is the thing I'm trying to get to the bottom of. Gaming (Gears 5 and Tomb raider), Dolby Access demos and UHD discs utilise the Atmos set up perfectly. I can mitigate the 5.1 content issue by just using Netflix on my TV as that works properly so not a priority, albeit still annoying that I now can't use my Xbox as the media hub. Netflix have said it's down to the Xbox. Samsung have said it's not their issue either as the other sources are working properly and therefore processing the output from the Xbox correctly... What are your thoughts?

submitted by /u/Bobbaford
    [link] [comments]

/u/Bobbaford, Oct 1, 2019
  2. JAWA78 Win User

Xbox One X 4k & HDR not working through Soundbar with pass-thru

Ok... wow after a few frustrating hours I have it.

First. Im running

Q80R tv

Q90R soundbar

Xbox one X

Connected.

Xbox hdmi out into soundbar hdmi 1

Soundbar hdmi arc to tv hdmi arc

Settings

Soundbar set to hdmi 1

Xbox - video settings

- most video mode check boxes on

- res = 4k

- fidelity and overides are default

- pretty much all green ticks in 4k tv details

Xbox - audio settings

- hdmi audio = bitstream out

- bitsream format = Dolby atmos

Tv

- source = soundbar

* note that in sound settings, expert settings the output says PCM but no need to pay attention since the source is the Xbox, nothing going from tv. If u flick to to a tv app like Netflix running on tv then it will change to atmos and send atmos to the
    soundbar from tv.

Things I got wrong :)

- firmware latest on soundbar. I read a few posts about pass through not working on old firmware.

- the hdmi cable I was using for arc wasnt v1.4 cable. Seems that makes a difference... i had a v1.3 and nothing. A v1.4 comes with the q90r soundbar, use it for the arc connection.

Finally... how do I know it works.... I downloaded atmos test .mp4 from the Dolby website onto usb played on Xbox. No doubt... very happy :)
  3. atmos_frustrated Win User

Dolby Atmos keeps turning off and resetting on Xbox One X

Recently acquired the Samsung-Q90R soundbar supporting Atmos. Have everything set up, but as soon as I select Atmos as the encoding on my Xbox, no sound at all. Works fine with Dolby Digital and DTS. Never had a working setup before this update, but I can't
    get Atmos to play any sound at all.

Wondering if I have to take the Q90R back... it sounds great even without the Atmos, but this is supremely frustrating.
  4. Grandad G Win User

No digital via HDMI ARC

[quote user="iiiNeURoTiC"]

Hi All,

I get Digital Audio via my Opitcal to Px4 headset, however using HDMI I can only get stereo?

Setup is as follows.

Xbox One -> HDMI -> Samsung TV ARC -> HDMI -> Samsung Soundbar

Anyone have any tips on how to get this working? or should this work at all?

[/quote]
    This doesn't look right to me (i could be wrong) Xbox One -> HDMI -> Samsung TV ARC -> HDMI -> Samsung Soundbar
    Should be....
    Xbox One -> HDMI -> Samsung Soundbar (must be a ARC compatible soundbar with the correct HDMI sockets in/out) -> HDMI -> Samsung TV ARC / Headset optical -> Samsung Soundbar change setting on xbox
  5. ArminatorX Win User

ATMOS on most recent Xbox One X

First of all:

While you DO need the Atmos App, you do NOT need to buy it, unless you want to use the Atmos for Headphones feature.

With your Atmos soundbar, you already paid the Dolby Atmos licensing fee, and the free App is sufficient to play Atmos sound via your soundbar.

However:

Getting sound through your TV and the soundbar depends on a lot of factors. Including on how you connect console, TV and soundbar together.

The trouble is, that some TV's don't support Dolby Atmos via their ARC (Audio Return Channel), so if you connect the console to the TV, the TV can't send Atmos sound coming from the HDMI input from the console to the soundbar. So also check if your TV's
    ARC is capable to support Dolby Atmos.

Alternatively some soundbars allow you to plug your console into the soundbar, and the soundbar forwards the video to the TV. That way you would probably get Atmos sound, but some Soundbars are unable to forward 4K HDR video to the TV.

So if bad comes to worse, you might have to exchange your TV as well as the soundbar. So please check with Samsung if both your TV and soundbar are REALLY capable of what you expect (i.e. 4K video as well as Atmos pass through).
  6. Maz Diabel Win User

Why does Xbox not support CEC / ARC.. ??? If I had known I had never bought the xbox x

If your receiver supports hdcp 2.2 (which almost any new reciever on the market does) it will pass through 4k content with out down grading it. Arc is very finicky in the first place and not even the TV manufactures have perfected it. That's why a lot
    of tv sales man and woman will still recommend digital optical audio out. But on the flip side. I have personally hooked up a xbox one x to a samsung q8fnb ran arc out to a samsung n850 Dolby atmos soundbar and had the audio pass through to the soundbar with
    out any issues.
Thema:

1. Issues with Xbox Audio, third party video apps and Samsung Q90r Soundbar - Similar Threads - Issues Audio third

2. Question To Those Experiencing Issues With Audio Cutouts

in XboX Insiders
    Question To Those Experiencing Issues With Audio Cutouts: Of those experiencing the cutouts how many of you are using external ssds/hdds? I played a game installed internally for about 6 hours and had no audio cutouts hopped onto one of my games stored...
  3. Audio issues

in XBoX on Consoles
    Audio issues: I got a new xbox one s, and I’m having trouble with trying to get audio to work. I plugged in a basic Xbox headset to the controller, and it worked, but when I unplugged it and replugged it, all I...
  4. Audio Issue

in XBoX on Consoles
    Audio Issue: My son has told me that every time he presses a button a voice tells him what he's pressed. There's also a blue frame around everything. Any ideas how to stop this please?...
  5. Audio Issues when streaming from Optical cable

in XBoX on Consoles
    Audio Issues when streaming from Optical cable: Hi all, I'm having various issues when trying to stream audio from my Xbox One S to my Echo Studio Speaker (Dolby Atmos enabled). I've got it set up with the Xbox connected via HDMI to my TV,...
  6. Audio Issue

in XBoX on Consoles
    Audio Issue: So Ive a xbox one S with Astro A50 gen 4 and a TCL roku tv. When I play Cod warzone and record a video it doesnt include my teammates audio How do i fix this be2b9009-a66b-4cf3-86ec-badad6986659
  7. Minecraft beta audio issues?? Stutters?

in XboX Insiders
    Minecraft beta audio issues?? Stutters?: My bf and I started playing the beta again after playing other games, last update he had issues with audio that sounded horrible. I suggested maybe it's just a bug or something with the beta...
  8. Issue with Gears 5 audio on PC, anyone else having this issue?

in XboX Insiders
    Issue with Gears 5 audio on PC, anyone else having this issue?: I have recently been experiencing an audio issue on PC with Gears 5 where it cuts in and out about every 3-5 seconds. I have done some research and tried to configure the speakers MHz but i am not...
  9. Audio issue after wake up

in XBoX on Consoles
    Audio issue after wake up: As asked before by others, audio glitches out of does not play after waking the xbox from sleep. I use always on because I don't like waiting for the xbox to cycle on. Things that fix the issue:...
  10. Xbox audio issues

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox audio issues: I keep getting this problem where my tv and headset volume seems to magically get quieter out of no where. I haven’t changed any setting and i have even factory restarted and just restarted...