Microphone issue when plugging headset into 3.5mm, long RadioShack headphones extender cable

Discus and support Microphone issue when plugging headset into 3.5mm, long RadioShack headphones extender cable in XBoX on Windows to solve the problem; Not the best with wording so bear with me, please. I recently had to get a headphone extender cable since I had moved my laptop on top of my desk and... Discussion in 'XBoX on Windows' started by TechnicalIssuesSuck, Dec 1, 2020.

1. Microphone issue when plugging headset into 3.5mm, long RadioShack headphones extender cable

Not the best with wording so bear with me, please.

I recently had to get a headphone extender cable since I had moved my laptop on top of my desk and made it go onto a monitor.

I found a RadioShack 3.5mm headphones extension cable where one end plugs into the laptop's audio cord spot and the other end of the 3.5mm cord is a thing where you plug the end of your headphones into to essentially have an extended cable for your headphones.

The cord is about 3 feet long so initially I was wondering if maybe the wires just weren't able to carry the mic through and into the end of the extension cable but that sounded a little dumb..

I have Windows 10 as my operating system and have read others have had issues somewhat like this. My AUDIO
    is perfectly fine and the only real issue is the mic on my headset. The headset I'm using is Razer's Kraken X's and it says they are for PC, And the mic has worked fine without
    the extension cable back when I did not need it..

I went into the Xbox Game Bar to test my mic with the extension cable and found that it showed no sort of 'We did not detect a microphone' message but the mic was not functioning as no sort of blinking circle around my Xbox account profile picture was going
    thick white and then to nothing and doing that back and forth, Which the only time it had audio detected was when I would first press the 'Push To Talk' button to allow speaking and it did blink the white circle for a second as I held the push-to-talk.

I'm positive it is just a mic issue and would like to maybe have some help on how to be able to use party chat and such with the 3.5mm RadioShack 3 ft. Extension cord.

:)

TechnicalIssuesSuck, Dec 1, 2020
  2. Hardcore Games™ Win User

Microphone issue when plugging headset into 3.5mm, long RadioShack headphones extender cable

some extensions are so lossy that the signal cannot get through

usb bluetooth is one idea, the console does not support it natively
  3. ArminatorX Win User

Microphone for Xbox one

You would need a CTIA adapter that splits the controller plug into a headset component and the Microphone component. Something

like this
    for example.

Then plug any stand up mic of your choice into the 3.5mm microphone plug.

If you want a professional microphone with XLR plug, you would need an
    XLR to 3.5mm adapter

A good audio microphone with 3.5mm jack would be the
    Rode Video Mic Pro

Just be aware that USB microphones do NOT work on the Xbox One.
  4. BaronW Win User

Problems with Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows

Just to pile on with issues with the adapter, I have an issue with my completely unrelated microphone going completely dead as long as a controller is connected via the adapter. If I plug the controller in via the USB cable, there's no issues at
    all. When the controller disconnects, the microphone immediately functions normally again.

If I wanted to use an Xbox headset, I wouldn't have bought headphones, thanks.
  5. Arminator Win User

“We were unable to find microphone” error

Before you go around checking for NAT issues and stuff:

Go to the messages area and try to compose a message. Then click on the microphone button and try to record a voice message.

If the microphone isn't detected, and you can't hear your voice, then it's a local issue on the controller or the headset itself.

If it is a headset with 3.5mm headphone jack and 3 rings, try if the headset works on a smartphone.

If it does work on the smartphone, it might be that the controller is defective.

Should the headset also not work on the phone itself, it might be that a lead in the headset cable is broken and you have a loose contact.

Depending on your seating position (as I have experienced it myself), the headset jack is pressing against your lower body when you are holding the controller comfortably. With the cable coming out "straight" from the plug, the cable gets bent a lot, and
    susceptible for broken leads.

After I got a Plantronics RIG 400HX with a 90° angled plug, I had no issues with broken leads and missing Microphones.
  6. PalmettoBling Win User

Mic

What type of mic are you using? Kinect microphone, a stereo headset with adapter plugged into the controller, 3.5mm headphone jack headset, headset connected via optical output? With a bit more information we can help by providing better troubleshooting
    information.
Thema:

1. Microphone issue when plugging headset into 3.5mm, long RadioShack headphones extender cable - Similar Threads - Microphone issue plugging

2. Microphone issue with Xbox Series S

in XBoX on Consoles
    Microphone issue with Xbox Series S: Hi guys. Recently, I have been having microphone issues when using my Xbox Series S. I can hear all audio when using my console via the tv or my headset when its plugged in, however no one can...
  3. Xbox headset microphone issues muffled urgent help

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox headset microphone issues muffled urgent help: I got a steel series 3 Arctic headset brand new However those on Xbox hear me muffled but if they join the party on Xbox app on their phone I sound perfectly fine my controller isn’t a issue...
  4. microphone issue?

in XBoX on Windows
    microphone issue?: if i were to go on steam and call, i could talk to them through my mic. but if i dont that with the xbox game bar on my computer i cant talk in the call. what should i do...
  5. Microphone issue.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Microphone issue.: I have the problem where ill be in party chat but my mic still talks in gamechat. Any suggestions on how to fix that? 68426e6b-4a4c-4a17-bd43-4f7238605377
  6. Xbox / xbox games pass android apps microphone issue

in XBoX on Mobile
    Xbox / xbox games pass android apps microphone issue: Hi, when using either of the Xbox apps on android to either remote play or xcloud stream on my phone and using either Bluetooth or wired headset/headphones, I have notice that when you create or...
  7. Weird Microphone Issue?!

in XBoX on Consoles
    Weird Microphone Issue?!: I’m having some trouble with the microphone on my official Microsoft XBox headset. I can hear friends (and others) talking via the single-sided earpiece, but no one can hear my voice. I can...
  8. Series X Microphone Issues

in XBoX on Consoles
    Series X Microphone Issues: Hi guys, I’m having regular but intermittent microphone dropouts on my Series X. I have a 3 month old pair of Astro A40 TR’s with the Mix Amp Pro which worked fine with my Xbox one. I have...
  9. Dual Microphone Issue Fornite

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Dual Microphone Issue Fornite: Hi, This could be an Epic issue. We have been able to play Fortnite with 2 headsets plugged in for some time. In recent times the connections have gone bad. Both headsets will play sounds but...
  10. Microphone Issues

in XBoX on Consoles
    Microphone Issues: I have 2 different Xbox headsets and neither of them are working on my controller. I have a second controller, and I tried them on it and they both work fine. I can still hear people, but I can't...