Minecraft for Windows 10 and setting up an account to play the game

Discus and support Minecraft for Windows 10 and setting up an account to play the game in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; Good day, I purchased Minecraft for Windows 10 from the Microsoft website for our son. Downloaded and installed fine on Windows 10. I used my... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by Brian K.(2), Sep 11, 2019.

1. Brian K.(2)
    Brian K.(2) Guest

Good day,

I purchased Minecraft for Windows 10 from the Microsoft website for our son. Downloaded and installed fine on Windows 10.

I used my Microsoft account to make the purchase as it required a credit card. When I fire up Minecraft on the computer the sign-in box comes up on the screen. It asks me to create a user name or suggests some, but wants to use my Microsoft account.

Is there a way to set up a Minecraft account for our son, that doesn't require the use of my Microsoft account? If so, how would that be done? Or, because I purchased the game with my Microsoft account, it has to be used when setting up the user name?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Update: It is the Minecraft starter edition

:)

Brian K.(2), Sep 11, 2019
  2. Brian K.(2) Win User

Hi Diego,

Appreciate the detailed reply, but sorry, I have more questions.

At the first link https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12417/microsoft-account-add-members-to-family the first part
    of the page talks about setting up a family and adding a child to my account. However, in Windows 10, under Settings, then 'Family and other users' it lets me add a family member. Is one way better than the other? Or, do they produce the same end result
    no matter which way I add a family member to my account? That is, if I add the family member through my online account will my child be able to use it to sign into the Windows 10 desktop on our computer?

On the lower half of the above page it mentions "Add a family member to xbox one". Is this how I would create the xbox live profile you mention? Also, can this still be done even though I don't have an xbox live profile? Also, we don't have an Xbox and
    will be playing minecraft on the computer, so do I still need to create the xbox live profile you mention?

Thanks for the help.

Brian.
  3. XBF Diego M Win User

Hi Brian,

Thank you for posting on the Xbox forums. I'd be happy to try and help here.

Minecraft for Windows 10 is an edition of Minecraft designed for Windows 10, featuring cross-play with players on "bedrock devices" such as Xbox One, iOS and Android phones, Nintendo Switch, and
    more.
    Therefore you will need to use a Microsoft Account and create an Xbox Live profile to login and play Minecraft Windows 10 edition.

We recommend creating a child Microsoft Account for your son so that he can login using his own account where his progress would be saved and it would not be associated to your own Microsoft account. You can then manage your son's account on
    Windows 10 using parental controls through a Microsoft Family. Create a new Microsoft Account for your son using the correct birthdate and then create a Family group to add your son's account.

With
    offline permissions
    in the Microsoft Store, your son should be able to login and play on his own Microsoft Account/Xbox Live profile even though his account didn't purchase the digital license. However, you will need to "prepare" the game to be played by
    other accounts when yours is offline. The included link lists the steps to turn on offline permissions on your PC and how to prepare the game which only needs to be done once.

I hope this helps!
  4. Brian K.(2) Win User

Hi All,

Just wondering if someone would be able to provide some more guidance on my questions.

Thanks and appreciate the help.
  5. Ackis Win User

Connect to Xbox One Minecraft Game

Looked through some of the help articles - man the information is confusing.

Anyways from what I'm inferring from the posts is that you can play Windows 10 to Windows 10, and Pocket Edition to Windows 10 and that's it right now.

https://support.xbox.com/en-CA/games/game-titles/minecraft-help-on-different-devices

"You can play Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition Beta with other devices running Pocket Edition, such as Windows 10 and Windows Phone devices. Right now, you can play local multiplayer on Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition Beta. Soon after the launch, online
    play will be available for Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition Beta."

http://support.xbox.com/en-CA/games/game-titles/minecraft-windows-10-edition-beta-faq#a5eebb2f431442ff850f552a209f44ed

Can I play online with other people on Windows 10? Or on different devices?

You can play with up to four other people running Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition Beta or Pocket Edition on your local network. You can also play online with up to four of your Xbox Live friends in online multiplayer gaming.
  6. Echo4Ent Win User

Can I have minecraft on two devices?

Minecraft is not a part of the "Xbox Play Anywhere" set of games, so you would need to purchase it separately for Windows 10.
Thema:

1. Minecraft for Windows 10 and setting up an account to play the game - Similar Threads - Minecraft Windows setting

2. minecraft windows 10 requiring non existent parental account to change settings

in XBoX on Windows
    minecraft windows 10 requiring non existent parental account to change settings: So I've been playing a lot of Minecraft windows 10 edition with my siblings and we all want to play a custom server together (which I have pre set up on a separate computer) and now the issue is...
  3. I cant chat or see any chats in minecraft windows 10. It says i need to update privacy settings

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I cant chat or see any chats in minecraft windows 10. It says i need to update privacy settings: I updated every setting that could potentially cause this, and still no luck. b233796f-3ae0-4441-aaa4-d8af096d792c
  4. Minecraft Windows 10 Privacy & online safety settings on Xbox.xom

in XBoX on Windows
    Minecraft Windows 10 Privacy & online safety settings on Xbox.xom: I am unable to join a realm on Windows 10 minecraft because of this, i have no idea how to change this and this is very frustrating [img] cbb12304-53b2-4cd9-bbff-26874ad2dc38
  5. Minecraft Windows 10 edition Realms - Xbox live privacy settings issue

in XBoX on Windows
    Minecraft Windows 10 edition Realms - Xbox live privacy settings issue: Hello. I've been wanting to set up a minecraft realm for me and some friends of mine but I'm running into an issue. Whenever i try to create a Realm (on windows 10 edition) I am greeted with this...
  6. Allowed privacy & online safety settings won't allow creating a realm (Minecraft Windows 10)

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Allowed privacy & online safety settings won't allow creating a realm (Minecraft Windows 10): Hello I wanted to create a realm but I coudn't accept because privacy & online safety settings "were set up wrong". After checking that everything was set up as it was, I tried to relog into Xbox...
  7. Unable to chat on Minecraft windows 10 edition due to "the way my Xbox Live account is set-up"

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Unable to chat on Minecraft windows 10 edition due to "the way my Xbox Live account is set-up": Hey. I went onto Minecraft recently to play with my friend and when I clicked the chat button and went to say 'Hi' it came up with a message saying "You cannot chat with other players because of...
  8. Minecraft Windows 10 Realms privacy settings error

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Minecraft Windows 10 Realms privacy settings error: "You Need Permission" Issue I have an issue with MC windows 10 realms Upon attempting to create a realms world I receive this message [img] The problem is that even when all the privacy...
  9. minecraft windows 10 edition- xbox privacy and online settings

in XBoX Games and Apps
    minecraft windows 10 edition- xbox privacy and online settings: i was playing some Minecraft yesterday just fine until today, for some reason it says i cant play online multiplayer "due to my privacy and online settings" this SHOULD NOT happen. i strongly...
  10. What are the minimum privacy settings for Minecraft windows 10 version multiplayer to work

in XBoX Games and Apps
    What are the minimum privacy settings for Minecraft windows 10 version multiplayer to work: I don't want to go with "allow all" style as my daughter is just 10 years old, so just want to know what are those settings I should change... 20334abe-3060-458c-85ab-b51dce410512