Network Speed Tests and your Connection to Xbox Live

Discus and support Network Speed Tests and your Connection to Xbox Live in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; I saw this article on Lifehacker and wanted to start a discussion while highlighting speed tests and connections to Xbox Live. The article does a good... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by PalmettoBling, May 19, 2019.

1. Network Speed Tests and your Connection to Xbox Live

I saw this article on Lifehacker and wanted to start a discussion while highlighting speed tests and connections to Xbox Live.
    The article does a good job of pointing out why you can get wildly different results from different speed tests, and even the same speed test tools for different tests, and even more so, you can get different results from different browsers! This can be very
    frustrating when you're trying to gauge if you're getting the speeds you feel like you should from your ISP, troubleshooting performance issues, or just curious on how high those numbers can go.

The three main metrics that are reported with speed tests are latency, download, and upload.

Latency is an easy one, and shouldn't change too much between tests from the same source. This measures the time that it takes from your network traffic to get from your computer to the testing server. So if you're on the same tool performing multiple
    tests the number should remain relatively the same, with small variance. This can vary greatly between tools, since they're using different servers, which will require that your traffic travel a different route, involving different physical distances, connections
    and factors along the way.

Download speed is usually determined by the test tool requesting a connection from your computer and analyzes the time it takes for your computer to say its done, and then adjusts the size of the data it's sending, and continues to monitor the time and
    adjusting the data until the time is up. Upload is usually measured similarly, but in the reverse of the download test. Sending data form your computer to the server.

Now, there are a lot of different pieces between your computer and the testing servers. At each hop, the networking equipment has to handle multiple connections, and process where the traffic has to go, finding out where they should go, establishing connections,
    sending the traffic, etc. So from your computer to your router/modem/network device to your ISP, and all the hops between them and the destination affect the response you get back, which can lead to some wildly varying connection statistics.

In addition to all that, speed tests are just sending groups of arbitrary data. Nothing that needs to process, send back and forth, provide input for the game or app you're running. When you're connecting to Xbox Live, you're connecting to their service
    and the traffic is handling notifications, messages, voice chat, achievement data, friend status, etc. They manage to do this with a VERY small footprint of data for what they provide, and I, for one, find that very cool.

With Xbox Live, there are also different services and connections handled in different ways. Friend status, profiles, achievements, are handled with Xbox Live network proper, while

if you're handling a game or app download, that would come from a Microsoft Content Delivery Network (CDN), and the CDNs will have different end-points and connections.
    Beyond that, when you connect to a multiplayer game, Xbox Live is handling the friends
    list and related parts, but it only brokers the connection to the games multiplayer servers and services which are built and controlled by the developer and publisher of the game.

All this and I'm not even going into the internet backbone, and how that affects your traffic, as there is your ISP, the distant end ISP, and the backbone in between,
    but is very interesting to read about.
    Additionally there is the download speed tier you're sold by your ISP,

which is the maximum theoretical, and what you actually get, which is pretty well outlined in the first article as well as this one.

All this to really just point out that: Networking is hard. Running a global gaming network connecting people all across the world is orders of magnitude harder. There are so many moving pieces, so just try understand them and step through them if ever
    trying to troubleshoot your connection, or if you're trying to identify why your performance is not what you expect, and that speed tests can sometimes provide conflicting results from what you expect.

TL;DR. Xbox > Modem > ISP > Internet Backbone > Distant End ISP > Distant End > Multiplayer Game/Service/Content and back again. The stepping stones between you and your Fortnite dance.

:)

PalmettoBling, May 19, 2019
  2. EggsBoxJuan Win User

The Current Profile is Not Allowed To Play on XBox Live

Hi, you could try doing the connection test on the console to speed up your profile getting refreshed.

-

Press the Guide button on your controller

Go to Settings and then select System Settings.

Select Network Settings.

Select Your network connection

Select Test Xbox LIVE Connection.
  3. Yezzmina Win User

Digital Download So SLowwwwwww

Test your network connection and it will show your download speed to the xbox
  4. Xbl ViP Win User

I am having trouble with XboxLive

Frequently disconnected from Xbox LIVE

Solution 1: Test your Xbox LIVE connection

You might have a Network Address Translation (NAT) problem. To find out, test your connection. Here’s how:

Press the Guide button on your controller, go to Settings, and then select System Settings.

Select Network Settings.

Select Wired Network or your wireless network name (if you are prompted to do so).

Select Test Xbox LIVE Connection.

A NAT warning appears as a yellow exclamation point:

If you have a NAT warning, try the solutions in the following article:

Resolving NAT issues

Solution 1: Restart your network equipment

Solution 2: Turn on UPnP on your network hardware

Solution 3: Simplify your setup

Solution 4: Open network ports

Solution 5: Improve Xbox LIVE speed

Your frequent disconnects from Xbox LIVE might be fixed by improving the speed of your Xbox LIVE connection.
  5. thebann83 Win User

Disconnection from xbox live

hello.

I've tested the xbox live connection and everthing with that is ok, no errors were shown.

My network speed test result. Ping is 28 ms, download speed is 6.36 mbps and my upload speed is 0.68

I'm unable to try a wired connection at this time. I will try the restart your network hardware solution again but I have done this before.
  6. iLuvGunsAndRock Win User

why

Hello there!

Understanding you are certain that it is not your network, let's just make sure! :) I recommend reviewing the

Xbox LIVE Disconnects | Xbox LIVE Slow | Speed Up Slow
    page for further assistance and tips in speeding up your LIVE's connection as well some solutions related to your disconnection. Also, could you perform a Xbox LIVE Connection Test (a guide is shown
    on how to do this in the previous link given) and tell us if any errors appear? If so, view the

Connection Error
    page where all solutions are provided specific for any error shown on the connection test.

Also, could you perform a Network Speed Test, and post the results here? This is so we can review the speed of your network and compare it to the requirements needed in order to run Xbox LIVE! :)

Keep us posted,

hope this helps!
Thema:

Network Speed Tests and your Connection to Xbox Live

1. Network Speed Tests and your Connection to Xbox Live - Similar Threads - Network Speed Tests

2. Xbox One - Network speed drop-off after sleep/power-down

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox One - Network speed drop-off after sleep/power-down: Hi all, I have a question regarding Xbox One network speed. I have a download speed of roughly 25 Mb/s. When I first connect my Xbox One to my BTHub, it runs fine at around this level. However,...
  3. Days of no network speed

in XboX Networking Hardware
    Days of no network speed: Days of no network speed How long does this happen for, when it happens? Is it just a few minutes, or hours? The only reason I can think of that the network speed goes down to 0 would be if it's...
  4. Xbox One detailed network statistics VS. speed test

Xbox One detailed network statistics VS. speed test: Xbox One detailed network statistics VS. speed test Hello AlexisCRemy, Thank you for keeping us updated. There is always WiFi degradation when connecting to your network wirelessly. The amount of...
  5. Bright House Network: Download speed doesn't match speed test result

Bright House Network: Download speed doesn't match speed test result: Bright House Network (ISPs): Download speed doesn't match speed test result I ran a speed test on my xbox one and got a download speed of 168 Mb/s (which is close to my subscription). I am trying...
  6. Network speed test.....slow upload

in XBoX on Consoles
    Network speed test.....slow upload: So everything seems to be working fine, except when I run a network test my upload speed is quite slow on my X. I get 2-3 Mbps I should get close to 20. Download speed is right where I expect it...
  7. Detailed Network speed test seems random

in XBoX on Consoles
    Detailed Network speed test seems random: When I test my network speed though Network Settings>Detalied Network Settings I get what seems like random, low speeds. My internet through Time Warner(now Spectrum) is 300mbps down and 20 mbps...
  8. Detailed Network speed went from 300+mb for the last year to now a low 20-60mb when tested. ...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Detailed Network speed went from 300+mb for the last year to now a low 20-60mb when tested. ...: For the last year I have had 300mb internet and when I would run network tests on both my WIRED laptop and WIRED PORT FORWARDED Xbox one they always used to say 300+ download. Just recently it has...
  9. Slow connection speeds when I test my network connection

in XBoX on Consoles
    Slow connection speeds when I test my network connection: My xbox 360 network connection test shows my connection running at download speeds of 5.5mbps. I am connected thru WiFi and every other device I have connected to the same wifi network runs at at...
  10. Network speeds slow in detailed report compared to IE speed test

in XBoX on Consoles
    Network speeds slow in detailed report compared to IE speed test: I've been experiencing abysmal download speeds on my new Xbox one. 200mb files that typically finish within a couple minutes at my full network capacity are taking upwards of an hour, never mind...