never ending update

Discus and support never ending update in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; my update got to 100% but never ended and didn't let me play, tried everything but it wouldn't end. I had to press the "cancel" button, apparently it's... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by Geegioh, Mar 7, 2020.

1. Geegioh
    Geegioh Guest

never ending update

my update got to 100% but never ended and didn't let me play, tried everything but it wouldn't end. I had to press the "cancel" button, apparently it's more like a "disinstall" button since it deleted the whole game. How does this work Microsoft?

:)

Geegioh, Mar 7, 2020
  2. {Parity} Win User

never ending update

Try performing a hard reset EXACTLY like this. Hold the power button on the console for 8 seconds or until the power shuts down completely.
    Unplug the power cord from the back of the console for 5 minutes.
    Plug the power cord back in and restart the console.
  3. Cap Gustavo Win User

never ending update

I just let Fortnite update in 100% for 3 hours to play it yesterday
  4. Geegioh Win User

never ending update

Try performing a hard reset EXACTLY like this. Hold the power button on the console for 8 seconds or until the power shuts down completely.
    Unplug the power cord from the back of the console for 5 minutes.
    Plug the power cord back in and restart the console.
    I could do that, next time. This time the game is f*cked and I don't even have wifi, so how the heck im gonna download?
  5. WILK0-98D843A7-6EBD- Win User

Never Ending Story?

[quote user="I ZombieChick I"]
    Was I the only one opening this thread hoping to see a game actually based off "The Neverending Story"?? :O

[/quote]I must admit i did steal the title of the thread from the film, but the thread has nothing to do with the film, i just like to be creative/cryptic with my thread titles...
  6. Sin Continuum Win User

Never Ending Story?

[quote user="Pyramid Head15"]

[quote user="WILK0"]

Is it just me or do the most popular games not really bother with the story?

[/quote] Uhh

Mass Effect

Uncharted

Bioshock

Assassin's Creed

Those are the ones that immediately come to mind.

[/quote]@WILK0 - at the risk raising the ire of the whole gaming community, I would take it much farther than you. Not only do I think popular games arent bothering with story, I dont think games are capable of telling a coherent, deep, interesting story
    to you. It is the worst medium I can think of to try to tell a story. Interactivity and narrative arent terribly compatible IMO. Most stories in games are so simplistic they can be reduced to a couple of sentences synopsis with no real loss of detail or
    comprehension. In order to tell a "story" most games resort to generic cutscenes which end up taking you out of the game in most instances because the game cannot control what a person does in game or know whether the player will even advance what story the
    game contains. And the more interactivity involved (also # of co-op players), the slighter the story necessarily becomes. The best games to me dont tell a story anyway, they give you a framework on which to hang your own interpretation of a story while allowing
    you full immersion in gameplay. If I want narrative, I will read a book. If I want to watch a story in prerendered scenes, I will watch a movie. I play games for the interactive gameplay.

I would like to say for the record that my favorite game of all time is ICO. I find it a profoundly moving experience to play, and cry (sometimes uncontrollably) every time I play it. But I dont think it has much of a story in and of itself. Even though
    it has a narrative framework and some cutscenes with dialogue, what I think it does brilliantly is let the player impose any or every emotion and and interpretation they want onto it. I interpret the "story" differently from my friends, and I have read many
    other accounts where the players experience differed from mine. I find the game profound, some find it boring, and some find it pretentious. In fact, after me making him play it and knowing how much I love it, my husband looked at me and said "its ok for
    a puzzle game i guess". I believe all these conclusions are valid. They are valid because the game doesnt try to force a story on you which it seems to know it couldnt do. What it does is let you invest what you want into it and then use various scenes/gameplay
    ideas to trigger emotional responses that you have been building up. When Yorda puts Ico in the boat, I cant stop crying, because the story I have constructed is the most sad, heartbreaking, wonderful, hopeful one that I have ever found in a game and that
    scene causes emotional overflow in me that I cant control. But I dont pretend that that is the story that the developers put in the game; I believe it is the story that they wanted me to find. And they want you to find your own also. And yours will almost
    certainly differ from mine.

@Pyramid Head15 - Just to counter a couple of your examples i offer the following (which in the case of bioshock, I am probably alone on and risking more ire):

Bioshock to me was one of the most overrated games i ever played (although I love the art/character design). It seemed to be nothing more than a one note rant against Objectivism where he assumed his conclusion (i think the AR death scene exemplifies this)
    and threw in an M. Night Shyamalan "what a twist" moment in order to claim some semblance of profound narrative. There were no moral choices to be made as the reward for saving or harvesting little sisters was almost identical (except for timing) so from
    a gameplay standpoint it was immaterial what you chose (only the ending scene was affected). Other than the rant, I find it very difficult to find anything interesting in the "story" at all.

As far as Uncharted goes (which I love by the way), Amy Hennig has said "You cant just write a script and say 'Lets go make this'. Within five minutes of development, its out of date. We only loosely plan the story, which is the best you can do with something
    as iterative as game design". And this "I write game scripts a scene at a time, out of sequence, over the course of a year. You have to be able to see the entire web of the project in your head, which changes from day to day because of the realities of the
    production. Development and writing becomes a communal act of faith, which is a hard thing to sustain" Not exactly sympatico with a narrative that has any kind of complexity or depth. Game development to me doesnt seem the ideal place for anything other
    than terribly simplistic stories.
Thema:

never ending update

1. never ending update - Similar Threads - never ending update

2. Points were never deposited at the end of May

in XBoX Rewards
    Points were never deposited at the end of May: I'm hoping that I can make a request for my credits to get deposited as I'm unsure if they'll even get deposited on the 15th. I have 7,000 credits, so it'll be nice to not miss out on those....
  3. Never ending xbox live outage on Xbox one x

in XBoX on Consoles
    Never ending xbox live outage on Xbox one x: i live in the uk, this past 10 days ive experienced severe connection problems .... sometimes it wont auto sign me in , gamertag shows but it says im off line ... in particular connection within...
  4. I was looking at the end of my cell phone blender But they never gave the pack of voices.

in XBoX Sales and Promo
    I was looking at the end of my cell phone blender But they never gave the pack of voices.: I was looking at the end of my cell phone blender But they never gave the pack of voices. 71fe0abd-14c3-47fb-b66b-038a6daddcd3
  5. We Happy Few Never Ending Trial

in XBoX Games and Apps
    We Happy Few Never Ending Trial: Good Day! I just reached out to XBox Support via Phone and was told to address it here in the forums as I wanted to make XBox and the Publisher aware of this glitch. About 2 days ago I launched...
  6. Never Ending Broadcast

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Never Ending Broadcast: Ever since I streamed "A Way Out" for my friends to see my xbox no matter if I turned off my xbox or am playing a different game it tells my friends that am streaming "A Way Out" and this has been...
  7. My daily challenges aren't loading. The just go into a never ending download.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    My daily challenges aren't loading. The just go into a never ending download.: My daily challenges aren't loading. The just go into a never ending download. It started in January, but now in April there are several days that I can't play. Some times I can get one challenge,...
  8. Jigsaw's never ending Download saga.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Jigsaw's never ending Download saga.: "If there is an ILF within the Eng Dept that supports MS Jigsaw? If so, then have then fix the Download issue. If not, then the solution is to dismiss all associated with this poor excuse for a...
  9. Ad never ends just replays over and over never leading you to the Game

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Ad never ends just replays over and over never leading you to the Game: Ad on minesweeper plays over and over again you never get to play. Please fix ad There is no close button on the Ad or a back button. it is on an endless loop Thank you...
  10. Never Ending Avoid Me Problem

in XBoX on Consoles
    Never Ending Avoid Me Problem: I spoke to an xbox live support representitive yesterday, by the name of Abbey. I am very displeased with the results. I was not sent any follow up email as requested, nor a surrvey revolving the...