New 3.5mm jack controller is pointless!

Discus and support New 3.5mm jack controller is pointless! in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; So I have the new controller. Been told by microsoft that it won't work with a headset which has seperate cables for mic + audio, even if you use a... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Wolverine 1091, Nov 5, 2015.

1. New 3.5mm jack controller is pointless!

So I have the new controller.

Been told by microsoft that it won't work with a headset which has seperate cables for mic + audio, even if you use a jack adapter. Which is bizzare as that works with the the stereo headset adapter! Only found this out after I bought the controller!!!

So, try and find a decent gaming headset with game and chat volume controls either on the headset or inline with the 3.5mm jack cable with no usb power cable. May as well have a wired controller if your headset is going to be plugged into the console or a socket
    adapter.

I've found the HUHD optical wireless gaming headset but the reviews are mixed and apparently the battery isn't great.

So currently I'm using some mobile phone earphones to play online. ( no audio controls, cutscenes make my ears bleed! )

The controller seems pointless, you basically need the stereo headset adapter for the volume controls, but I feel I shouldn't have to have one because the controller has the jack point if you get my drift. annoyed!

:)

Wolverine 1091, Nov 5, 2015
  2. cool and hip
    cool and hip Guest
    xbox one

will the Xbox one new controller have a 3.5mm head phone jack

cool and hip, Nov 5, 2015
  3. EthanC0807
    EthanC0807 Guest
    Volume on Xbox one

I have no receiver but thanks. Good job there is a 3.5mm headphone jack in the new controller.

EthanC0807, Nov 5, 2015
  4. Satoshi Fudo
    Satoshi Fudo Guest

Would someone be kind enough to highlight to me the differences between the old Xbox 1 controller and the new one? I get that it has a new 3.5mm jack but you could plug your headset into the previous xbox controller so how is it different exactly?

Tried to find some reviews of it online but haven't found anything yet. Thanks.

Satoshi Fudo, Nov 8, 2015
  5. Old controller required the stereo headset adapter to work with my headset. ( was a friends stereo headset adapter) so I thought i'd buy the new type of controller so as to not also buy the stereo headset adapter.

The new controller differences

3.5mm jack which is pointless

and the bumpers feel slightly different, but that just may be because i'm now used to worn bumpers on my old controller.

that's it

Wolverine 1091, Nov 12, 2015
  6. I have one of the triton headsets, and it doesn't require the mic cable to be plugged in to function. I just plug the audio cable in the controller and the mic works like a charm. I'm not sure if there's some specific compatibility issue with the one you
    bought or if I'm just lucky though.

As for audio control, you can adjust it in the settings tab of the new dashboard's guide function. Not completely user friendly when you quickly want to mute yourself but it's better than nothing and works fine.

JamieThornton, Nov 12, 2015
  7. Just noticed the new chat control, and this changes the ball game completely.

Now the controller makes sense, where as before it was a nightmare changing volume mid-game on headphones with no control.

I might just get a ps4 suitable headset then. They are really well rated.

Wolverine 1091, Nov 12, 2015
  8. New 3.5mm jack controller is pointless!

So after some research it appears that the hyper X cloud 2 headset doesn't work with the new controller 3.5mm port

This headset is arguably the best vs cost headset available.

Wolverine 1091, Oct 31, 2018
  9. JamieThornton Win User

I have one of the triton headsets, and it doesn't require the mic cable to be plugged in to function. I just plug the audio cable in the controller and the mic works like a charm. I'm not sure if there's some specific compatibility issue with the one you
    bought or if I'm just lucky though.

As for audio control, you can adjust it in the settings tab of the new dashboard's guide function. Not completely user friendly when you quickly want to mute yourself but it's better than nothing and works fine.
  10. Wolverine 1091 Win User

So after some research it appears that the hyper X cloud 2 headset doesn't work with the new controller 3.5mm port

This headset is arguably the best vs cost headset available.
  11. Wolverine 1091 Win User

Just noticed the new chat control, and this changes the ball game completely.

Now the controller makes sense, where as before it was a nightmare changing volume mid-game on headphones with no control.

I might just get a ps4 suitable headset then. They are really well rated.
  12. Wolverine 1091 Win User

Old controller required the stereo headset adapter to work with my headset. ( was a friends stereo headset adapter) so I thought i'd buy the new type of controller so as to not also buy the stereo headset adapter.

The new controller differences

3.5mm jack which is pointless

and the bumpers feel slightly different, but that just may be because i'm now used to worn bumpers on my old controller.

that's it
  13. Satoshi Fudo Win User

Would someone be kind enough to highlight to me the differences between the old Xbox 1 controller and the new one? I get that it has a new 3.5mm jack but you could plug your headset into the previous xbox controller so how is it different exactly?

Tried to find some reviews of it online but haven't found anything yet. Thanks.
Thema:

1. New 3.5mm jack controller is pointless! - Similar Threads - 5mm jack controller

2. Audio jack

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Audio jack: Right so ive went through about 3 controllers in 3 years because the audio jack stops working, ive talked to my friends and they say they have had the same problem. Have you guys had this problem...
  3. Buzzing noise when I plug headset into 3.5 mm jack on new Xbox wireless controller.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Buzzing noise when I plug headset into 3.5 mm jack on new Xbox wireless controller.: Hello, I've tried everything to fix this problem and it has all come down to the 3.5 mm jack buzzing like a light every time, I know I can just turn the mic monitoring down, but it can still...
  4. Gaming headset - jack usb adapter

in XBoX on Consoles
    Gaming headset - jack usb adapter: Hi, This is a question related to this post (wich has been closed) : https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/xbox/forum/all/corsair-gaming-headset/6306b78c-8fa6-4d9f-b0c4-d010a5d68edc Is it...
  5. The Handsome Jack Collection.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    The Handsome Jack Collection.: I had previously bought the Handsome Jack Collection on the xbox store, ive tried to load up Borderlands 2 and it seems as though the handsome Jack Collection has been taken off my account. I have...
  6. My headset and audio jack

in XBoX on Consoles
    My headset and audio jack: My mic cuts out randomly and instead of working like almost anyone else’s mic, it works but i have to wrap the wire around the controller and if i move to much it stop working and i cant hear...
  7. Xbox Elite 2 Controller Headphone Jack issues

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Elite 2 Controller Headphone Jack issues: I just got my controller for Christmas and i plugged in the headphone jack after getting it set up and the audio didn't work for 3 different headsets dcfa6bc3-9d43-4e7a-8f45-f80642f0b497
  8. Headphone Jack

in XBoX on Consoles
    Headphone Jack: Recently purchased (in around May) a custom xbox one controller and quite early on after around 2 or 3 months, the headphone jack started acting up. Every time you moved it past a certain point it...
  9. My Gears of War 5 crashed to the dashboard twice causing me to loose all my Jack Components...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    My Gears of War 5 crashed to the dashboard twice causing me to loose all my Jack Components...: This normally would be much of big deal if I wasn't playing on insane mode because the grind of getting through the acts and finding most of the upgrades/collectables (no guides). I was playing...
  10. Design Lab controller issues with the headset jack

in XBoX on Consoles
    Design Lab controller issues with the headset jack: My design lab controller will not work with my headset now. My headset works with all my other controllers still. The jack is messed up and I have tried using rubbing alcohol and the sound will...