New external HHD will not work saying it needs USB 3.0 when it is.

Discus and support New external HHD will not work saying it needs USB 3.0 when it is. in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I have now purchased 2 different external HHD's for my XBOX one S, both are well over 256GB and both USB 3.0. One of the HDD was a 2TB and that told me... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Dawn Mason, Aug 3, 2019.

1. Dawn Mason
    Dawn Mason New Member

I have now purchased 2 different external HHD's for my XBOX one S, both are well over 256GB and both USB 3.0. One of the HDD was a 2TB and that told me that I needed one with 256GB storage or greater and USB 3.0 or faster. This new one is 3TB and is saying I need one that is a USB 3.0 or faster.
    I have followed instructions online to format them. However, I had to do this on my laptop, as the only thing I actually found was a YouTube video with a very old update and perhaps this is the problem, but I cannot seem to locate how to do it on this current update. The only options I have when I click on the external hard drive is "View contents" and "Set as capture location". It doesn't have an option to "Format for games and apps". When I click on set as capture location an error comes up stating "Try a different device. To capture clips and screenshots externally, storage must be USB 3.0 or faster. This device is too slow. (0x80bd003b)". However, both HDD's I have tried are both USB 3.0, so they should both work. I don't understand what else I am supposed to do. The only thing that I think it could be is that when I formatted them I had to do it as exFAT instead of FAT32. Other than that I don't understand what else I'm supposed to do. I even tried it on NTFS with the 2TB as I wasn't aware at first that I would have to format it. Any help is appreciated!

Dawn Mason, Aug 3, 2019
  2. onyxishere Win User

Unable to format external hard drive

Is the drive USB 3.0 compatible? If not that would be the reason that it is not working. The external drive must be USB 3.0.
  3. Internet Expert Win User

External hard drive

If the external drive was built with only a USB 2.0 connector, you will need to buy a new external drive. If that is the case, I recommend you return the USB 2.0 drive for your money back or an exchange for a USB 3.0 model.

The enclosure must support a USB 3.0 connection. Look for indicators on the retail box that say "USB 3.0".

USB 3.0 connections look like this (they usually have blue coloring):

[​IMG]

The first one goes into the Xbox. Either of the last two connect to the drive.
  4. LingLing1211 Win User

New external hard drive recognized for media - won't format for games and apps.

Problem Solved! So turns out the problem is the usb 3.0 cable that came with the external hard drive. I went out and got a new usb 3.0 cable like someone suggested on another thread and it worked! :)
  5. FlintyGull79 Win User

HD already filled up due to installation requirement

Need patch that allows the use of External 3Terabytes USB 3.0 Hard Drives on the new Xbox One Console folks!!!
  6. FlintyGull79 Win User

Xbox One Tear Down

External 2Terabyte USB 3.0 Hard Drive compatibility and support is TRULY needed on the new Xbox One console folks!!!
Thema:

1. New external HHD will not work saying it needs USB 3.0 when it is. - Similar Threads - external HHD saying

2. Xbox One X Occasionally Not Recognizing External Hard Drives

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox One X Occasionally Not Recognizing External Hard Drives: Every once in a while (which is more like once a week when I turn on my Xbox One X), it will fail to recognize one of the two hard drives. Rarely, it will not recognize both. I have scanned the...
  3. External hard drive and 0x8027025a

in XBoX on Consoles
    External hard drive and 0x8027025a: Hi there, Since today, my external hard drive isn't anymore detect by my xbox one, sometimes it's works but i can't start a game or application, i have always the error code 0x8027025a, i tried...
  4. Bug: Movies and TV app does not see total files in an external Media Drive

in XboX Insiders
    Bug: Movies and TV app does not see total files in an external Media Drive: So since Plex is an utter mess on the Xbox I have been trying the concept of just plugging in an external hard drive to the Xbox and playing my media movies directly from an attached hard drive....
  5. [xbox one s] External HDD inaccessible since June system update!

in XBoX on Consoles
    [xbox one s] External HDD inaccessible since June system update!: I don't understand why the dev team has to go break things for no good reason. * Nothing wrong with the USB3.0 ports * Nothing wrong with the Ext. HDD * Nothing wrong with the power supplies *...
  6. External Hard Drive not access content

in XBoX on Consoles
    External Hard Drive not access content: After an update (Aug 2019) my Xbox One stopped showing my ext hard drive. I could move it to another USB port and I could see the content but it would not access the content. I tried all the power...
  7. Xbox One S - external SDD drive

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox One S - external SDD drive: Hello, I'm currently looking for an external SSD drive to improve load times on my Xbox One S. I've checked the official support guide to buy a compatible drive and I found these two pages...
  8. External hard drives

in XBoX Accessibility
    External hard drives: I have an extra hard drive that went plugged in. It says. 2 week to connect. Does anybody know how to fix this? dbbec804-7d79-48ce-ac49-e268a9cea063
  9. Games automatically deleted from external drive

in XBoX on Consoles
    Games automatically deleted from external drive: I like to transfer and keep all games stored on an external drive and the internal drive free, however, Doom 3 for example i downloaded to the internal drive, copied over to the external drive,...
  10. problema di trasferimento su hard disk esterno Seagate [Translation - Seagate external hard...

in XBoX on Consoles
    problema di trasferimento su hard disk esterno Seagate [Translation - Seagate external hard...: Ciao, non riesco a trasferire o scaricare giochi sull'hard drive esterno. Ogni 5 minuti si arresta l'installazione. Tempo fa è successa la stessa cosa, ma avevo risolto con un reset, tenendo...