No HDR with Onkyo TR-NX646 and Epson 5040ub (4k / 24hz / YCbCr 4:2:2 24 bit)

Discus and support No HDR with Onkyo TR-NX646 and Epson 5040ub (4k / 24hz / YCbCr 4:2:2 24 bit) in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I have an Epson 5040ub projector that support (faux) 4k and HDR. I have it connected to my Xbox One S through my Onkyo TR-NX646 (AVR). In this... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by _kas21, Oct 10, 2017.

1. _kas21
    _kas21 Guest

I have an Epson 5040ub projector that support (faux) 4k and HDR. I have it connected to my Xbox One S through my Onkyo TR-NX646 (AVR). In this configuration, I cannot get HDR to work from the Xbox. If I connect the Xbox directly
    to the projector I can enable HDR and it works correctly. If I plug my Xbox into the AVR and to a different 4k TV with HDR, it also works. The Epson requires YCbCr 4:2:2 12 bit to display HDR (it cannot support faster refresh rates). When I have everything
    connected and open the Blu Ray app, the AVR and my projector report YCbCr 422 24bit so the Xbox is capable of, and is, sending the correct signal through the AVR to the projector. For some reason, the settings app on the Xbox won't enable HDR. FWIW, I also
    noticed that when I switch 24hz support in the Xbox Settings app, it outputs RGB and no YCbCr during the test before it commits the change. Any help on how I can resolve this would be greatly appreciated!

AVR osd showing RGB when enabling 24hz.

No HDR with Onkyo TR-NX646 and Epson 5040ub (4k / 24hz / YCbCr 4:2:2 24 bit) [​IMG]

4k / 24hz / YCbCR 4:2:2 24bit playing DVD with Xbox

No HDR with Onkyo TR-NX646 and Epson 5040ub (4k / 24hz / YCbCr 4:2:2 24 bit) [​IMG]

:)

_kas21, Oct 10, 2017
  2. Leon Protos
    Leon Protos Guest
    Xbox One S HDR UHD and Netflix Playback.

Hey Miss Bijoux,

If I turn off "Allow HDR" then the content plays as normal. The washout only happens during HDR video playback and nowhere else.

I contacted LG support on this after some investigation on my own. I noted that by checking my signal on the receiver HDR video playback on the Xbox One S is 10-bit RGB at 24Hz.

All other devices I've used seem to use either 12-bit YCbCr 4:2:2 60Hz (PS4) or 10-bit 4:2:0 60 Hz (HDR Blu Ray Player) for their HDR content. LG Says they don't support 10-bit RGB.

Now here's where it gets interesting. HDR Games on the Xbox One S come through at 10-bit YCbCr 4:2:0 60Hz. So I tried disabling the 24Hz signal in the Xbox One S.

Now it puts out a 10-bit YCbCr 4:2:0 60Hz signal when attempting to watch HDR video... but the dimming issue still persists.

Leon Protos, Oct 10, 2017
  3. xbox one s does not support 4:2:2 hdr!!!

Xbox one s only supports hdr game with ycbcr 4:2:0 while playing forza horizon 3. It should support ycbcr 4:2:2 4k 60Hz as well for better picture quality.

EastCornet16601, Oct 10, 2017
  4. Leon Protos Win User

Xbox One S HDR UHD and Netflix Playback.

Hey Miss Bijoux,

If I turn off "Allow HDR" then the content plays as normal. The washout only happens during HDR video playback and nowhere else.

I contacted LG support on this after some investigation on my own. I noted that by checking my signal on the receiver HDR video playback on the Xbox One S is 10-bit RGB at 24Hz.

All other devices I've used seem to use either 12-bit YCbCr 4:2:2 60Hz (PS4) or 10-bit 4:2:0 60 Hz (HDR Blu Ray Player) for their HDR content. LG Says they don't support 10-bit RGB.

Now here's where it gets interesting. HDR Games on the Xbox One S come through at 10-bit YCbCr 4:2:0 60Hz. So I tried disabling the 24Hz signal in the Xbox One S.

Now it puts out a 10-bit YCbCr 4:2:0 60Hz signal when attempting to watch HDR video... but the dimming issue still persists.
  5. Chris.B.Kemp Win User

Xbox One S and Epson 5040UB

Having the same issue, Epson 5040ub w/ Xbox One S, HDR isn't working on anything (UHD, Netflix, games) despite receiver and all cables being HDMI 2.0a / 4K HDR supported spec.
  6. samppalinna96 Win User

Ycbcr support for 1080p/4k bluray playback

i noticed the same when watching 4k ultra blu ray hdr movies 24hz setting on. X box one x outputs only rgb and picture is a mess with my optoma uhd65 projector. You need to fix it output ycbcr on 24hz setting on too!!

If i unselect 24hz x box outputs 60hz ycbcr and picture is pretty good.
  7. Cheesenbizkitz1 Win User

Exactly the same issue. I have the Epson EH-TW8300 which is the Australian model number for the 5040UB. Tried through my reciever and direct connecting to the projector with multiple HDMI cables. Tells me it's 4k and HDR compatible but has the yellow exclamation
    mark for all of the 10-bit points and says my TV setup isn't compatible with 10-bit. It's weird that it has the tick for HDR compatible even though all the 10-bit stuff says it doesn't work, and no HDR gets output to the projector.
  8. Mister Mascot Win User

Hey all,

From the research I've been looking at, these projectors don't appear to be using Native 4k over HDCP 2.2 and HDMI 2.0a It looks like the projector will accept a 4k Signal, but then downscale it to 1080p. This looks like the reason for it not working properly
    for you on the Epson 5040ub, EH-TW7300 and 6040ub.

We'd recommend reaching out to Epson for further clarification on if the Projector displays in True 4K while using HDR.

If it doesn't, than this would be the reason that 4K Blu-ray UHD discs are not playing at a 4K resolution and only at 1080p.
Thema:

1. No HDR with Onkyo TR-NX646 and Epson 5040ub (4k / 24hz / YCbCr 4:2:2 24 bit) - Similar Threads - HDR Onkyo NX646

2. 4K HDR help

in XBoX on Consoles
    4K HDR help: so doing the 4k test my xbox has green checks on everything but the dolby vision. do i seriously need dolby vision for 4k on xbox? 48d99686-170e-4f3b-a641-6877fa78d674
  3. HDR problems with an Xbox one X can anyone help?

in XBoX on Consoles
    HDR problems with an Xbox one X can anyone help?: [img] Hello can anyone help me sort out my HDR it works with other consoles just not my xbox one X 4e01d5bb-0466-4252-8343-9b0188168dde
  4. 42PG20D: Xbox One X Problem with Hdr on LG E9

in XBoX TV Hardware
    42PG20D: Xbox One X Problem with Hdr on LG E9: 42PG20D: Xbox One X Problem with Hdr on LG E9 Yes everything checked green for example hdr, dolby vision, 4k and so on 9c2055a7-6884-4c84-8779-5b8989d6e0b3
  5. HDR games suddenly very dim after recent system update

in XBoX Games and Apps
    HDR games suddenly very dim after recent system update: I'm sorry if this has been covered, I searched the forums for awhile and didn't quite find a match. I have an Xbox One X and a 65" hisense tv. Everything worked fine up until the most recent...
  6. Xbox constantly launching HDR games really dim

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox constantly launching HDR games really dim: Lately my Xbox has been launching games that are HDR at an extremely dim level. I have a TCL 6 series and the HDR works fine. There has been a couple of times in the past where I’d launch Gears 4...
  7. Xbox one X MUST SUPPORT FHD HDR!

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox one X MUST SUPPORT FHD HDR!: As you guys know that PS4 and PS4 Pro Support HDR in 4k, FHD resolution both. But Why still does XBOX one X support HDR only in 4K resolution? Still there are many guys use FHD HDR monitors than...
  8. Issues with 4K HDR

in XBoX on Consoles
    Issues with 4K HDR: I have an Xbox One X hooked up to my 4K HDR television. It's a TCL. My issue is fairly simple. When I play HDR supported games, my Xbox does NOT trigger the TV's HDR game mode. The settings also...
  9. Issue with notifications such as game requests and achievements when playing in HDR using...

in XBoX on Windows
    Issue with notifications such as game requests and achievements when playing in HDR using...: As the title says, when playing a game using the Xbox app in HDR, whenever you get a notification it changes the display mode to show the notification which causes the screen to go blank while it...
  10. Xbox One X HDR dimming problem!

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox One X HDR dimming problem!: Hello, My xbox one x has an issue with loading games in HDR. When a game or netflix starts up. My screen dims dark. Like it fade away. All colours are dark and not bright. I have a 4K/HDR tv...