No space freed up after deleting game captures on Xbox One

Discus and support No space freed up after deleting game captures on Xbox One in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; As my Xbox One X is running out of free disk space I decided to delete the game captures (Screenshots and Game DVR) from my Xbox. And yes I selected... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Martin Skywatcher, Sep 23, 2019.

1. No space freed up after deleting game captures on Xbox One

As my Xbox One X is running out of free disk space I decided to delete the game captures (Screenshots and Game DVR) from my Xbox. And yes I selected the game captures on the Xbox itself and not on Xbox Live. I selected all captures and confirmed to delete
    them. I waited a while and checked back and saw there were no game captures on my Xbox One anymore. As I already had uploaded all game captures to my One Drive (and my PC) I knew there would be 17,7 GB of captures on my Xbox One. To my amazement the amount
    of free space on my Xbox One's hard drive stayed exactly the same after deleting (13,8 GB free). How is this possible ?

:)

Martin Skywatcher, Sep 23, 2019
  2. Martin Skywatcher Win User

Thanks Paul1708 and ngocphi I
    was already starting to think it would be something like this. Any idea how big this partition for game captures is ? I mean I had 17,7 GB of screen captures and game DVR's on it that's quite a lot and would the Xbox notify the user when the limit is about
    to be reached or would it just stop capturing ?
  3. Paul1708 Win User

Hey Martain

Game Capturres are storaged in a reserved space on the hard drive that isnt viewable in games and apps. Thats why when you buy a brand new console some of the drive space is reserved for the OS and captures. If your just looking to free up some space on
    your drive then you would need too uninstall a game or 2 or purachse a external hard drive
  4. Paul1708 Win User

Hey again Martain

It depends on the size of the internal drive on a 500gb drive you have around 380 GB of free space so around 120gb is taken up for the OS captures and formating of the drive and internal files. On a 1tb drive is around 780gb of free space. And yes the console
    would show a message saying its full
  5. ngocphi Win User

Becsuse captures is ONLY a small section of the xbox HDD

And it is limited to that section

The xbox partitions certain sections for certain things and cannot be overwritten

You have to purchase a new bigger hd

2-4 tb is suggested
  6. Kshesho Win User

Can you change where Game DVR saves the clips?

The only way I know of actually moving a capture is to send it to your OneDrive. Press the menu button with the capture highlighted and select "share" then select "OneDrive". And then delete the capture if you don't want it to take up space in your Game
    DVR.

I don't believe there is any other way to store your captures on your Xbox One without them taking up space on the cloud, as that is how they are uploaded. I hope I'm wrong though!
Thema:

1. No space freed up after deleting game captures on Xbox One - Similar Threads - space freed deleting

2. Game Pass says my storage is full, but i have 175Gb of free space (Error Code 0x80073cf4)

in XBoX on Windows
    Game Pass says my storage is full, but i have 175Gb of free space (Error Code 0x80073cf4): The title says it all really. I'm trying to install Sea of Thieves, which is only 42Gb, and the drive i'm trying to install to has 175Gb of free space. The download is currently stuck at 16%,...
  3. No space on hard drive

in XBoX on Consoles
    No space on hard drive: So today I purchased the DLC for left 4 dead 2 “cold stream” and it’s telling me I have no space for the DLC and that I only have 496 MB available and the DLC requires 1.34 GB! Can someone help me...
  4. The Recent Rewards Rescue Space mission 10 checkpoints (October 2019) - when is it drawn...

in XBoX Sales and Promo
    The Recent Rewards Rescue Space mission 10 checkpoints (October 2019) - when is it drawn...: Hi Everyone, After the painstaking competition to complete the 10 tasks I did receive my 1 month free of Xbox Ultimate Gold Game Pass and my double points for Bing searches but when and what is...
  5. Cancelled download from store still using my hard disk space

in XBoX on Windows
    Cancelled download from store still using my hard disk space: Hi, I was downloading a game, total file size was 62.7 gig and it reached 62.7 gig downloaded, but the progress bar remained at 77%. It froze there even after a couple of restarts, so eventually...
  6. Cancelled installation taking up disk space - cannot reinstall or delete files?

in XBoX on Windows
    Cancelled installation taking up disk space - cannot reinstall or delete files?: Hi all, Yesterday, I tried to download The Outer Wilds, and my connection was bad, so I cancelled the download. Today, I tried again, except I don't have enough disk space anymore, because the...
  7. Installed games through Xbox Beta taking up twice the hard drive space

in XBoX on Windows
    Installed games through Xbox Beta taking up twice the hard drive space: I noticed this issue with Metro Exodus, but I assumed it was caused by an issue that I had during installation. I had to download the game twice, as I recall. However, having now uninstalled Metro...
  8. xbox 360 storage space

in XBoX on Windows
    xbox 360 storage space: Hello My xbox 360 is asking me to update. When I throw it she tells me that there is not enough free space in the storage space. So I will try to see if I can make room on the storage space....
  9. Minecraft Xbox: You are almost out of data storage space

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Minecraft Xbox: You are almost out of data storage space: The forum is full of people having this problem with Minecraft and still no improvement. My xbox has 300GB free. I just bought and installed Minecraft. I could play for one time of 30 mins. When...
  10. Uninstalled game and it did not free up space.

in XBoX on Windows
    Uninstalled game and it did not free up space.: The way this app manages data is terrible. I cant even see where the games are installed or how much space it is taking. I uninstalled a game and none of the space was freed up. So apparntly the...