Playing previously purchased Xbox games (Play Anywhere games) on a PC running Windows 10

Discus and support Playing previously purchased Xbox games (Play Anywhere games) on a PC running Windows 10 in XBoX on Windows to solve the problem; My son has an Xbox and a Microsoft account. He has purchased games, some are installed on his Xbox and some are installed on an external hard drive. I... Discussion in 'XBoX on Windows' started by MichelleBailey2, May 4, 2021 at 8:03 PM.

1. Playing previously purchased Xbox games (Play Anywhere games) on a PC running Windows 10

My son has an Xbox and a Microsoft account.

He has purchased games, some are installed on his Xbox and some are installed on an external hard drive. I don't know whether or not they are installed anywhere else, like on a cloud account.

He wants to be able to play his "Play Anywhere" games from a laptop running Windows 10.

It appears he has the Xbox app and the Xbox Console Companion app on the laptop. But we don't really know how to use these apps or what their purposes are. He says when he views his games, the game he wants to play does not display. When he searches for the game in the Microsoft store, it will not allow him to download the previously purchased game, he is prompted to pay for the game that he has already purchased. He says he has tried every help forum, and the advice is old advice that no longer applies and/or doesn't work. At this point he has invested more time than the $20 it would cost to just repurchase the game, but we don't want to pay for a game he has already purchased.

Can someone help us to understand (in simple language) what we need to do? Thank you.

:)

MichelleBailey2, May 4, 2021 at 8:03 PM
  2. Arminator Win User

xbox game pass on pc

... Xbox Play Anywhere is an official Xbox emulator for PCs running Windows 10. Games that are also on Xbox and are going to play on PC are not a PC platform!
    Xbox Play Anywhere is NOT an emulator. The Xbox Play Anywhere games are compiled for the Windows 10 PC platform as well as Xbox. There is no emulation going on, which would unnecessarily slow down the games. They run natively on Windows 10, not an emulated
    Xbox environment.
  3. Tezzarrific Win User

Playing previously purchased Xbox games (Play Anywhere games) on a PC running Windows 10

open the store, sign out of the store and sign in with your name and details, download cuphead then sign out of the store and back in with his name and job done. you can do this with any play anywhere titles on your account.
  4. Smwutches Win User

Cuphead is Play Anywhere so he should be able to download it. Have him try the Microsoft Store app and make sure he is signed into that app with the same account that purchased the game. On the top right of the app, click the 3 dots and go to "My Library". He should be able to find a list of all games he owns that are available to download on the PC under ready to install and should be able to install it from there.
  5. Tezzarrific Win User

my the sounds of the price i think you may be referring to minecraft, this game is not a play anywhere title and has to be purchsed on each platform.

if this is not the game you are on about then let us know which game.
  6. MichelleBailey2 Win User

Another dumb question. It looks like he purchased Cuphead under my Microsoft account. That's probably why he can't see it under his Microsoft account. What would be the best way for me to install it on his laptop, so that he can log in as himself and use it?
Thema:

1. Playing previously purchased Xbox games (Play Anywhere games) on a PC running Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Playing previously purchased

2. Previously owned games requesting purchase to play

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Previously owned games requesting purchase to play: I am attempting to play Dead Rising 2 which I previously downloaded for free as part of the the Xbox Games with Gold offer of 2 free games per month. I have played the game extensively and have...
  3. Playing 360 games on previously owned xbox

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Playing 360 games on previously owned xbox: l bought a secondhand xbox with installed games most games play but the previous owner has not took his profile off so I can not play the 360 games he downloaded and I can not get in touch with...
  4. Can not play previously purchased movies on Xbox or on the movies app in Windows: error...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Can not play previously purchased movies on Xbox or on the movies app in Windows: error...: Over the years I have purchased close to 100 movies on my Xbox One and I am now unable to play any of them. I was previously able to watch them on my Xbox One, Xbox One S, and also on my laptop...
  5. Previously purchased, and played (for literally 30+ hours) DLC packs locked out of nowhere....

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Previously purchased, and played (for literally 30+ hours) DLC packs locked out of nowhere....: I purchased the Steven Universe mashup pack as well as several skin packs this past year with my Microsoft account, on my Nintendo Switch Edition Minecraft...I decided to dip back into Minecraft...
  6. I have purchased and played GoW4, but I still have not received any tokens for the previous ...

in XBoX Sales and Promo
    I have purchased and played GoW4, but I still have not received any tokens for the previous ...: On October 23rd i bought the Gow4 Xbox One S Limited Edition 2TB Console. I thought that I was supposed to receive tokens which would let me download each of the previous GoW games (1-judgment),...
  7. Previously Purchased Game Won't Play

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Previously Purchased Game Won't Play: I purchased Tamriel Online from the Microsoft store. I did so from my console and the game is downloaded directly to by hard drive. I have played it many times on this console. I have no issues...
  8. I have previously purchased all map packs. They do NOT show up when playing on xbox one. And ...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I have previously purchased all map packs. They do NOT show up when playing on xbox one. And ...: I have previously purchased all map packs. They do NOT show up when playing on xbox one. And when I go to the marketplace it says 'installed' so theres nothing I can do. When I access the 360...
  9. Xbox Play Anywhere not allowing access to previously purchased games

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Play Anywhere not allowing access to previously purchased games: So I bought a game that clearly states that it is compatible with Xbox play anywhere, but when I try to go to the store and get it with windows 10, it still shows the price like I need to buy it...
  10. Preview not letting me play a game previously purchased.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Preview not letting me play a game previously purchased.: I purchased a game on 3/10/16 and since being a part of xbox preview I can't see nor play this game. 2ca36ba9-4518-4ab8-8ce9-fb649f157c59