Predictability and unpredictability in video game design

Discus and support Predictability and unpredictability in video game design in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; Celeste and Dead Cells are two of my favorite video games. They're both games with high difficulty, platforming elements, and excellent pixel art.... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by Oraclea, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Oraclea
    Oraclea Guest

Celeste and Dead Cells are two of my favorite video games. They're both games with high difficulty, platforming elements, and excellent pixel art. However, they're very different experiences to play, and I think a lot of that difference lies in how predictable
    their levels are.

Dead Cells' standard mode thrives on its unpredictability. Each time you play, the level layouts change, the weapons you encounter change, and it's up to you to adjust to what you see. Dead Cells succeeds through its unpredictability, presenting you with
    something different each time and testing how you react and adapt.

Celeste, on the other hand, is mostly a collection of smaller areas to traverse, most of which are difficult but unchanging in layout. The areas reveal to you what they are and, through your attempts at them, how to beat them. Celeste succeeds through
    this predictability, giving you total control over what you're facing and testing you to find a solution and execute it.

I don't think there's anything fundamentally good or bad about how unpredictable to the player a game's design is. There are so many great online multiplayer games, which inherently feature unpredictability due to how other players might play. There are
    amazing "walking sims" and many puzzle games where I can take my time to study the environment to make my way forward. And, of course, most games fall somewhere in the middle on the spectrum, or consistently waver between more predictable and more unpredictable
    sections.

For this discussion, feel free to answer any of the following:

-For a more 'predictable' game to succeed, what's a quality that it has to have, and what's an example of a game that does this quality well?

-For a more 'unpredictable' game to succeed, what's a quality that it has to have, and what's an example of a game that does this quality well?

-What's a memorable game for you that either combines predictable and unpredictable design elements, or memorably shifts from one to the other, and what was most memorable about its design?

:)

Oraclea, Sep 16, 2019
  2. ScottTHEscammeR Win User

Theres a fine line between a game being unpredictable, and being incoherent. That's the key to being unpredictable and good....it has to make sense
  3. Villarino Win User

Hello Horaclea!

Im a big fan of Roguelike games, and Rpgs too, and i would say for me unoredictable games are the most fun to play, its a matter of luck not skill sometimes, but definetley the story is the most important thing, like Void Bastards for example
  4. DoubleDRAGON666 Win User

If you like them games, maybe give Binding of Isaac a go as well. I'm sure you'll like it if you love dead cells.
  5. veiledbythemist Win User

For me quality and story line are the most important aspects of any game.
  6. Bountyhunterxx5 Win User

If celeste had changing areas I would have never finished it. Being able to attempt the same level over and over allows you to figure out what works and what doesn't.
Thema:

1. Predictability and unpredictability in video game design - Similar Threads - Predictability unpredictability video

2. Expectations and predictions for the new Halo

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Expectations and predictions for the new Halo: exciting story and answer several holes in the plot, do not remove warzone and multiplayer as halo 5 875380cd-4a67-46b6-b0d9-db488622b5c4
  3. Option to turn off Predictive Text

in XBoX on Consoles
    Option to turn off Predictive Text: Hi, My 8 year old and I play Minecraft and I secretly use it as an education tool ( as well as being a lot of fun ) especially with respect to mental maths and coding. However, the predictive...
  4. COD Predictions at E3

in XBoX Games and Apps
    COD Predictions at E3: I am predicting COD Vietnam. With music from that era 60c9910a-9aa3-4ef2-b654-542dd9f48a07
  5. New Tom Clancy Game to be Announced by Ubisoft on May 9th 2019. PREDICTIONS?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    New Tom Clancy Game to be Announced by Ubisoft on May 9th 2019. PREDICTIONS?: My prediction for the Ubisoft May 9th announcement is Splinter Cell, How about yours? 0cbab405-d034-4fac-a46e-bfde7f20b888
  6. E3 2019 predictions.

in XBoX on Consoles
    E3 2019 predictions.: I'm sure they'll have plenty to show & tell 7c0969ca-517d-4e20-be42-96d47bb2424b
  7. MK11 DLC Predictions?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    MK11 DLC Predictions?: I think we can all agree that MK11 is a pretty amazing game. That said, we have a DLC pack coming and wanted to see what folks think we might be getting. I am going to predict 2 packs in total:...
  8. Missing Predictive Text on Xbox One S

in XBoX on Consoles
    Missing Predictive Text on Xbox One S: Split from this thread. Maybe someone can help me... I have the opposite. My predictive text and bar suddenly disappeared when I went to use my Xbox One S on-screen keyboard and I would like...
  9. Predictive text suddenly turned on, xbox one, want it gone & turned off.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Predictive text suddenly turned on, xbox one, want it gone & turned off.: Yesterday when sending some random text messages to recent players, I noticed this highly annoying predictive text above whatever I was typing in. Re; In game dashboard chatting using the One...
  10. PAX West Predictions?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    PAX West Predictions?: What do you guys think MS has up their sleeves for PAX West this year? My personal hope is to see more of the new Battletoads, as well as get an announcement of Killer Instinct Season 4!...