Pros/Cons of preview program

Discus and support Pros/Cons of preview program in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Just like the title says..... what are the pros and cons of joining the preview program? I got another invite to join tonight, but before I select "Get... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by kingvas78, Apr 13, 2015.

1. kingvas78
    kingvas78 Guest

Just like the title says..... what are the pros and cons of joining the preview program? I got another invite to join tonight, but before I select "Get it free", I guess I am more worried about the bad and evil things that come with being a Beta tester ,
    if any. Feedback from participant's would be much useful!

:)

kingvas78, Apr 13, 2015
  2. smileskybird
    smileskybird Guest
    Kinect doesn't work after update in Xbox Preview Program

This is what happens when software which is not ready for everyone, is used. Software is the key thing running your console. Everyone should be aware of the pros and cons of being in the Preview Program thingy.

smileskybird, Apr 13, 2015
  3. BUCMASTER
    BUCMASTER Guest
    What's Your Background?

I plan to just use a colored abstract or carbon fiber background since the tiles will block out a picture. I do have the option to check it out now since I have recently received an invite to the Preview program, but I'm still weighing the pros and the cons
    of joining up. :/

BUCMASTER, Apr 13, 2015
  4. John H._07
    John H._07 Guest

The obvious con is that sometimes you get a bug and you have to wait for the people at MS to find a solution. I can honestly say this has never happened to me, although I know it has affected some users. Another con is that a lot of times, having the update
    interferes with your ability to interact with users without the beta. Whenever they update party chat, for instance, it affects your party chats if someone isn't a preview member.

The pros are that you get the new updates first, and so when it is a good update, you get to enjoy it before anyone else. You also get invited to different betas. I recently was invited to try Smite, as well as the Halo: MCC update (before they scrapped
    that beta).

John H._07, Apr 13, 2015
  5. J.R.G.
    J.R.G. Guest
    Aside from a slight problem with the bluray going dormant early in the program, I've had no problems. The pros would be getting new features earlier. The cons would be possibly bricking your system.

Peace, J.R.

J.R.G., Apr 13, 2015
  6. smileskybird
    smileskybird Guest
    Pro's you get to see stuff before it gets released for everyone.

Cons is it's like a Beta Dashboard, just like Windows 10 Technical Preview. Since it's not a finished Dashboard version, there can be some bugs. And I ain't having that running on my $749 console (In NZ, the launch price for Xbox 1 with Kinect was NZ$749).
    And I want my Xbox 1 console to be running on a proper OS than a buggy one. I noticed Microsoft does ban consoles which run on modified/unknown firmware. Even though I got an inv (which I didn't ask for but appreciate the consideration), I'm sticking with
    what everyone gets. And I'm happy with that.

smileskybird, Apr 13, 2015
  7. Pros, as already mentioned and the fact that MS do want to hear what we have to say. Cons? Picking up bugs I guess though that's really a pro considering they are fixed.

RedEye Expr3ss, Apr 13, 2015
  8. kingvas78
    kingvas78 Guest

Well, I signed up. Waiting for my console to be registered. I saw more positive reviews than negative so figured why not. I can always un-enroll if need be.

kingvas78, Apr 14, 2015
  9. NxtDoc1851
    NxtDoc1851 Guest
    I was in the Preview Program for about 8 months. I thoroughly enjoyed the program for about 5 of those months.

Pro's are rather simple you get to test updates and get early access to these features. And literally watch and help the evolution of the Xbox One unfold.

Con's can be devastating. At first the bugs were bearable. As we were giving bug reports and helping the system be the best for the masses. The last few updates were making my Xbox One nearly unplayable. To the point that I personally worried for my
    Xbox One's health.

In the beginning the ideas of the Preview Program testers were directly sent up. Now they only use the Feedback Website. Which is disappointing in my opinion.

NxtDoc1851, Apr 14, 2015
  10. The pro's are usually being able to see what is in the works. Also, testing out new programs/apps etc. The cons would probably be the usual beta problems. Problems with apps, the new features and so on. Eventually you'll have to upgrade to the new things
    anyways, so that's another pro in a way.

Dr Black Bones, Apr 14, 2015
  11. Fye Nikka
    Fye Nikka Guest
    I have been involved with the Beta for over a year and yeah there where some technical issues, but at the same time I feel good learning and knowing the features before everyone else gets their hands on it. Plus they do give us Free Gifts here and there!

Fye Nikka, Apr 14, 2015
  12. For me...

Pros: Getting updates/apps early.

Cons: N/A Haven't experienced any. Maybe I'm not much of tester. lol

DocHolliday 7, Apr 14, 2015
  13. x24hrs2livex
    x24hrs2livex Guest

Pro:

early access to updates as well as betas(occasionally)

Ambassadors get an occasional extra benefit or two as well.

Con:

Bugs

If you want to actually provide feedback and have a voice join. If you'd prefer to wait it out for a few weeks while us lab rats test out the kinks, stay far away.

x24hrs2livex, Apr 14, 2015
  14. RippenHarra
    RippenHarra Guest
    Get to try things out before anyone else.

I haven't really come across anything that is really buggy that stops me enjoying the X1. Friends not in preview have the same bugs that require hard resetting.

I'm also in the iOS smartglass Beta. Same goes for that

RippenHarra, Apr 14, 2015
  15. Goatsnatcher
    Goatsnatcher Guest
    I haven't encountered any bug's that crippled my system or made it unplayable. I've been in the preview since it started. I like getting the updates early, and I like helping by giving feedback, tbh though, I rarely come across anything.

Goatsnatcher, Apr 14, 2015
Thema:

1. Pros/Cons of preview program - Similar Threads - Pros Cons preview

2. Pros and cons of Xobox Live Gold and Game Pass Ultimate

in XBoX on Consoles
    Pros and cons of Xobox Live Gold and Game Pass Ultimate: What are the pluses and minuses of both of these -- Xbox Live Gold and Game Pass Ultimate Why is one better than the other f87ca072-166b-413d-8143-4598ed7df953
  3. xCloud vs Game Streaming - pros and cons

in XboX Insiders
    xCloud vs Game Streaming - pros and cons: I was just accepted into the xCloud beta here in Denmark and started poking around. I have been using Game Streaming from my One X for some months and it works fine. I have game pass. I can’t...
  4. Game pass Ultimate: What are the pros and cons?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Game pass Ultimate: What are the pros and cons?: i only see pros, you get alot of games with it, you get gold and you get pc games. sometimes you can get it really cheap a2a48cc5-8349-40f6-abed-e1f057ce2410
  5. What are all of your pros and cons about this game?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    What are all of your pros and cons about this game?: I have a lot of pros, and not so many cons. I am just a huge Star Wars fan, and I think this sequel to the original is a very nice and amazing experience, despite some other peoples negative...
  6. Pros & cons of downloadable games

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Pros & cons of downloadable games: The pros....1 You don't have to get off your couch to buy games 2. You don't have to get off your couch to switch between games. The cons... 1 Downloadable games are more...
  7. Pros and Cons to waiting for updated Xbox One

in XBoX on Consoles
    Pros and Cons to waiting for updated Xbox One: Considering the size of game installs the internal 500 GB HDD in the Xbox One is seeming smaller and smaller. Tacitly confirmed by Phil Spencer on the recent Podcast Unlocked episode, Xbox One...
  8. Pros and Cons of being on the Xbox preview program.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Pros and Cons of being on the Xbox preview program.: I would like to know from those that are already part of it about the pros and cons of the program and just your overall experience. I count it an honor to be chosen to participate and just would...
  9. Pros and cons of having a game on disc vs. having a digital copy

in XBoX on Consoles
    Pros and cons of having a game on disc vs. having a digital copy: ^ LOL ;) See what works for some doesn't for others, Apart from what I've already mentioned, I buy Allot of games, I mean %^&%&loads 886461bb-be58-40a1-9895-a5250ad72bba
  10. Pros and Cons of XBOX ONE (Little Review)

in XBoX on Consoles
    Pros and Cons of XBOX ONE (Little Review): So I've had my XBOX ONE for a little over a month now. And I have to say it surpassed a lot of my expectations. But as every system/game/product it does have a few downsides. Pros: + Easy to set...