PSU failure

Discus and support PSU failure in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hi Guys my PSU for my Xbox one has died, I verified it by using a friends. I am looking at trying to purchase a new one but am having trouble where to... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by SoleCord1502422, Dec 23, 2017.

1. PSU failure

Hi Guys my PSU for my Xbox one has died, I verified it by using a friends. I am looking at trying to purchase a new one but am having trouble where to find one, can anyone help?

Phil

:)

SoleCord1502422, Dec 23, 2017
  2. StroppySock
    StroppySock Guest
    Xbox slim won't turn on

I was playing my xbox two weeks ago and it randomly shut down. The PSU turned to a red led. I tried to unplug the connection and start it back up again, no luck. Once the PSU is plugged in it's on standby (orange) when I try power on the machine the xbox
    green light turns on for a split second but the PSU brick turns straight from orange to red which powers off the machine. I've tried everything, disconnecting everything, replacing PSU and I'm still faced with the same problem.

The strange thing is even through a google search I haven't found any problems like this. The problem is always the PSU for everyone else but for me it seems like it's the console. Does anyone know what the problem may be? Fan failure perhaps? because if
    the console won't turn on due to the CPU being overheated once cooled down it should boot for at list a few minutes before going into safety mode.

Regards,

Stroppy.

StroppySock, Dec 23, 2017
  3. Wiggs
    Wiggs Guest
    The my diskdrive is broken thread

@goatsnatcher - The ps4 doesn't have problems. The Internet made a lot of incorrect noise and the failure rate is at around 1%. Due to the 360 fiasco at launch everyone jumped on the PS4 IS BROKEN bandwagon. I along with 90% of the people over at PSU
    forums are enjoying their PS4s

Wiggs, Dec 23, 2017
  4. Wiggs Win User

The my diskdrive is broken thread

@goatsnatcher - The ps4 doesn't have problems. The Internet made a lot of incorrect noise and the failure rate is at around 1%. Due to the 360 fiasco at launch everyone jumped on the PS4 IS BROKEN bandwagon. I along with 90% of the people over at PSU
    forums are enjoying their PS4s
  5. Randver Win User

Rumor: Smaller Xbox One incoming

The RROD problem was with the chips and power supply not actually the case. The Xenon chip and the big PSU had the huge failure rate. Once they moved to the Falcon and Jasper ( couple other chips in limited production were also released) and smaller PSU's
    the problem ended.

I think the new slim case will be more of a cosmetic upgrade rather than a performance upgrade, that's why if they expect us to buy a new console every two years they'll need to justify it with performance increases.
  6. Irixion Win User

360 does not stay on long enuff to even start/play a game

If the PSU is green, there's a good chance that it may be overheating or suffering from a generic hardware failure. Phat consoles can no longer be repaired. Make sure that all your cables are attached properly, maybe try to use your console with no accessories
    or HDD. If it still shuts down, it may need to be serviced.
  7. Jaymo1978 Win User

Power supply shouldn't be plugged into a surge protector??

It is 100% not a good idea to plug into a Surge Protector. This has actually been a BIG no-no since the 360, because the 360 PSU and the X1 PSU both have a built-in surge protector. What happens is, even with a brand new power strip/surge protector in Mint
    condition, by plugging the PSU into it, then it into the wall, you are putting two layers of surge protection between the wall and the console. This effectively chokes the power flow, which is very dangerous especially during the startup routines, when the
    console actually needs additional power above its normal operating requirements.

Over time, the reduced flow of power can cause issues with the console, including complete failure of specific components, rendering the console unable to function. This was actually one of the leading causes of RRoD on the Xbox 360, such that MS actually
    had to amend the setup instructions (and the help documentation) to specifically say NOT to use a surge protector (and they continued this with the Xbox One.) I have also seen numerous reports of people with things like startup failures and drive failures,
    who ended up tracing their issue back to the fact that they were using a separate surge protector. (In many cases, eliminating the surge protector fixed the issue, but for a few, it was too late.)

It does feel very odd to NOT use a power supply and go straight to the wall, especially with sophisticated electronics, but speaking from experience, it can cause lots of problems! :)
  8. bigbenx88 Win User

Xbox One Power Problem

Actually there is an even easier way to test your PSU (Power Supply Unit). Give this a shot:

Try unplugging your PSU from both the outlet it's plugged into and the Xbox. Then take it and plug it into a wall outlet directly, no power strips or surge protectors, and confirm the Orange/Amber colored light comes on. Once you have that, then plug it
    into the system and watch that light on the PSU. One of four things is going to happen:

1) The light will change to White for 5-10 seconds and then go back to Orange/Amber. This is the ideal outcome. The white light for that interval means it's charged the capacitors in the system and it should come on by pressing the power sensor on the
    front of the console.

2) The light will flash between White and Orange/Amber several times. This indicates a short in the PSU and it needs to be replaced.

3) The light will do nothing and just stay Orange/Amber. This indicates that the PSU is unable to pass power to the system or even recognize it at all. This usually means that the console isn't accepting power and the console needs to be replaced.

4) The light will go out completely when you plug it in. This means a complete hardware failure in the PSU. It needs to be replaced.

Use these steps to either fix the issue or at the very least narrow down the issue to the actual culprit.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.
Thema:

PSU failure

1. PSU failure - Similar Threads - PSU failure

2. PSu

in XBoX on Consoles
    PSu: There is this loud buzzing sound coming from the powercord brick .... and ive seen that this has ben addressed before yet that was 2013 and now in 2019 i bought an xbox1 and it has this problem i...
  3. How much does a PSU cost

in XBoX on Consoles
    How much does a PSU cost: Hey guys i want to get a replacement for my xbox 360 slim psu and i would like to know its cost as my budget is limited PS:i live in India 206cf758-4b40-4d21-a433-9d57a54cfc84
  4. Need Xbox one PSU for Kosovo

in XBoX on Consoles
    Need Xbox one PSU for Kosovo: I’m going to kosovo in June and I want to take my xbox one with me and the question is to where I can purchase a 220V PSU?? 32f9f319-da15-4884-b9e3-b595d96aedbf
  5. Broken PSU following repair

in XBoX on Consoles
    Broken PSU following repair: hi, Following my Xbox breaking and sending it off for repair along with the psu, I received it back today only to find the replacement psu is also faulty!! After speaking to Xbox support they...
  6. Xbox One, Flashing Orange PSU (No sound)

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox One, Flashing Orange PSU (No sound): Had a look all over the forums and Google but couldn't find any solid solutions/answers to this issue. So I have a background in engineering and repairs, and thus a good friend of mine has come...
  7. Will my xbox 360 psu work with an Xbox one s?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Will my xbox 360 psu work with an Xbox one s?: I'm buying an Xbox One S from America but the PSU will be different to the one in Ireland. Will the PSU in my Xbox 360 work or where can I buy a new PSU for the Xbox one s?...
  8. UK PSU for US xbox 1 livig in UK. Possible?

in XBoX on Consoles
    UK PSU for US xbox 1 livig in UK. Possible?: A simple yes or no is a fine answer :) - I'm living in the UK. Can I use a UK PSU for a US xbox 1? 67280af1-f496-4b90-ba65-e3de546a7327
  9. Xbox One PSU

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox One PSU: I have had two power supplies do the same thing to me. The first power supply worked for a good amount of time, 2 or 3 years. After that it started sounding like the fan in the PSU was going out....
  10. Can I use my Xbox one (Indian unit) in USA by exchanging the Indian PSU for an American one?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can I use my Xbox one (Indian unit) in USA by exchanging the Indian PSU for an American one?: Hi, Will I be able to use my Xbox one (bought in India) in USA by using an American PSU? I believe (Correct me if I'm wrong) the power supply along with the Indian unit does not have wide input...