Publication of an Age of Empires screenshot in a book. Copyright protection?

Discus and support Publication of an Age of Empires screenshot in a book. Copyright protection? in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; I'm seeking permission to use this screenshot (Age of Empires PC Game) for publication in a book on maps. I am not sure if I am allowed to publish... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by SimonKuestenmacher, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Publication of an Age of Empires screenshot in a book. Copyright protection?

I'm seeking permission to use this screenshot (Age of Empires PC Game) for publication in a book on maps.

I am not sure if I am allowed to publish this map under the "fair use" guidelines. I couldn't find an email on the microsoft website to ask a relevant department. Any help would be highly appreciated!

Publication of an Age of Empires screenshot in a book. Copyright protection? [​IMG]

My book features 100+ maps. This screenshot is meant to accompany a map showing the “fog of war” (the black and unexplored areas in the Age of Empires screenshot). I am speaking positively about the game and the style of map in my book.

This is where I found the screenshot: https://www.old-games.com/download/6039/age-of-empires

:)

SimonKuestenmacher, Oct 13, 2019
  2. ThisGameIsSucky Win User

Age of Empires has had a lot of developers over the years, contacting anyone of them through their websites (assuming they're not defunct) should constitute a foundation for getting permission to use their games assets in a publication. You're most likely
    not going to reach the people you're looking for on the forums. Writing a letter to Xbox Game Studios (because they're the current publisher/apparent owner of the series) may also be a good start. You'd have to look up a physical address online, I'm unsure
    as if we're allowed to post stuff like that on the forums. Their contact office phone number should also be online as well if you wanted to attempt to call them about it.

This Wiki articles shows a majority of the developers over the years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_Empires
  3. AridLizard Win User

it should fall under "Fair Use" as it is used for "review/criticism" and is only a small percentage of the total new work (your book)

most importantly, it doesn't deprive the copyright holder of the commercial value of the original work (your book is not a market substitute for Age of Empires).

this link might be helpful, although it is a long read and some of it is heavy going.

https://www.morse.law/news/writers-guide-to-fair-use

I hope this is of some help
  4. MightyQuinn75 Win User

Well the team has done a great job in helping. I just wanted to say how interesting the book sounds. I use digital games now. However, I adored the gaming maps that used to come in cases so much I have lots of them on my living room wall.
  5. NeoDan123 Win User

I would suggest you have a look in the link below. It gives you a rundown of what the legal department has set out regarding the use of intelectual property.

I see there is a contact email to find out more about using clips, screenshots etc.

https://www.xbox.com/en-us/developers/rules
  6. G v zauBerBerg Win User

Thema:

1. Publication of an Age of Empires screenshot in a book. Copyright protection? - Similar Threads - Publication Age Empires

2. Why can't i join a public session without clearing out the lobby

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why can't i join a public session without clearing out the lobby: Every time i try to join a public session on gta5 it boots everyone and im aloone in the gamebut after awhile I get kicked too internet connection lost..why cant i play without clearing a room or...
  3. when the public build gets released, is it possible to do a reset of the preview program?

in XboX Insiders
    when the public build gets released, is it possible to do a reset of the preview program?: like get everyone out and make people sign up if we really want to do it, as a lot of posts i see are people unaware of the program to begin with and just complain about updates we can still keep...
  4. harassed and bullied on a public post by an xbl ambassador.

in XBoX on Consoles
    harassed and bullied on a public post by an xbl ambassador.: is the a specific forum or community manager to report a fellow xbl ambassador to? i was harassedand bullied and belittled by a fellow ambassador today, and can not find much about it on the...
  5. Lets stop Party Chat.It's ruining public matches.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Lets stop Party Chat.It's ruining public matches.: The problem in public matches is people talking in secrecy when games are about working together.I am speaking about Friday the 13th .Because it's an Unfair advantage and tool for people to...
  6. Accessibility issue 1 that more than 10% of the public will care about: Genesis style...

in XBoX Accessibility
    Accessibility issue 1 that more than 10% of the public will care about: Genesis style...: There are twin problems working together. but there are 2 soultions, and only one of them has to happen, and Micorsoft is in contorl of one of them, and Sega is in control of the other. Ideally...
  7. Publicity stunt or concerned game publisher

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Publicity stunt or concerned game publisher: It's definitely interesting. I would need to find out more details before I could make a final decision. I've only heard one side. Their version of events, Which may not be true at all. There...
  8. Shadowrun (360 / One BC) - Is public matchmaking still available?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Shadowrun (360 / One BC) - Is public matchmaking still available?: I can't seem to find an official source on whether or not Shadowrun on 360 / One BC still has live public matchmaking services. There's a lot of speculation that servers are no longer functional,...
  9. Xbox Clubs - Category Change Public to Private

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox Clubs - Category Change Public to Private: Can you change a clubs category you created from Public to Private? I've tried managing the club from the Xbox console even the app and no luck. Thanks in advance....
  10. Can't Signoff of Xbox on Public Computer

in XBoX on Windows
    Can't Signoff of Xbox on Public Computer: I have signed into Xbox on several public computers in order to play Microsoft Minesweeper. Even though I have used Xbox/Signoff several times, all of these public computers still have me signed...