Question about downloading updates to an external hard drive for a game on your INTERNAL hard ...

Discus and support Question about downloading updates to an external hard drive for a game on your INTERNAL hard ... in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Okay, this is kind of hard to explain. I bought a 5TV external hard drive a few months ago. Hooked it up and it worked fine. My internal hard drive is... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by MetalLabrador, Apr 16, 2015.

1. Question about downloading updates to an external hard drive for a game on your INTERNAL hard ...

Okay, this is kind of hard to explain. I bought a 5TV external hard drive a few months ago. Hooked it up and it worked fine. My internal hard drive is 99.8% full. When a game that the main game is installed on my internal hard drive needs an update, it never
    downloads on the external hard drive. I always have to clean up room and move a game to my external hard drive. Mostly with Destiny because fit has huge patches and updates. Why if there isn't room on the internal hard drive doesn't it just automatically install
    the update on the external hard drive? As it is, like tonight I went to play Destiny with friends, saw an update installation had stopped sometime since last time I had my XB1 on and now I have to wait to move another game to my external HD and THEN download
    the Destiny update after enough room is cleared off the internal. And that will take many hours, so no gaming for me tonight.

:)

MetalLabrador, Apr 16, 2015
  2. Waylander TC
    Waylander TC Guest
    Installing Game Updates While Having An Extrenal Hard Drive

I bought myself a 4TB USB 3.0 external hard drive as my internal was almost full already, I've set the internal hard drive to be the primary, I was going to leave some of the games on the internal hard-drive but the xbox one seems to only update the games
    that are on the primary hard drive, there needs to be a fix so that no matter which hard drive the apps or games is on it will automatically download to the right one, especially as I want to use the internal hard drive for all apps and keep the external just
    for games and addons

Waylander TC, Apr 16, 2015
  3. Clancey123
    Clancey123 Guest
    External Hard Drive Automatic Updates?

Will my games on my external hard drive automatically update like the games on the internal Xbox one hard drive?

Clancey123, Apr 16, 2015
  4. Question about downloading updates to an external hard drive for a game on your INTERNAL hard ...

Its updating the GAME which in turn is making the space that game needs higher. You'll have to move the game over to the external hard drive and then just set that as the main hard drive

Prezdead-5478B08A-FC7D-425B-BF6E-9F1ED3BF584A, Apr 16, 2015
  5. DENAz666
    DENAz666 Guest
    Basically, the updates are linked to the game. When the update is downloaded, it is stored with the game or in the game files, so therefor you cannot have the game update stored on a seperate drive to where the game is installed

DENAz666, Oct 31, 2018
  6. AssertiveGrub90 Win User

Updating a game causes me to have to reinstall the ENTIRE THING

If the external hard drive is the possible cause then try and update something while the hard drive is disconnected.

It may be that your game is on the external hard drive but your default location for downloading games in your internal hard drive so when it goes to update it can't find the game as it isn't in the default location. If this is the case you would need to
    make sure that the games being updated are on the internal hard drive before updating.
  7. XBF Leo G Win User

Xbox one external hard drive games audio crash

Hello Vash,

Thank you for keeping us updated. There are some instances in which games on an external hard drive do not receive updates. We recommend moving around some of the games on the internal and external hard drives. Since your internal hard drive is full, you
    can move some of them to the external hard drive. Once the internal hard drive has some extra space, we suggest moving some of the games from the external hard drive to the internal. Check to see if those games require any updates. Be sure to let us know the
    results!
  8. Prezdead-5478B08A-FC Win User

Question about downloading updates to an external hard drive for a game on your INTERNAL hard drive.

Its updating the GAME which in turn is making the space that game needs higher. You'll have to move the game over to the external hard drive and then just set that as the main hard drive
  9. DENAz666 Win User

Question about downloading updates to an external hard drive for a game on your INTERNAL hard drive.

Basically, the updates are linked to the game. When the update is downloaded, it is stored with the game or in the game files, so therefor you cannot have the game update stored on a seperate drive to where the game is installed
  10. Daft Badger Win User

Updates download location

They should download to where your games & apps are then.

The system wont download a game update to a hard drive if the game isn't on that hard drive.

Have a look at your storage devices in the console settings just to make sure no games or apps are stored on the internal drive & your external drive is set to default for downloading games & apps.
Thema:

Question about downloading updates to an external hard drive for a game on your INTERNAL hard ...

1. Question about downloading updates to an external hard drive for a game on your INTERNAL hard ... - Similar Threads - Question downloading updates

2. Download Question

in XBoX on Windows
    Download Question: Quick question. If i pause a download then turn off my pc, if i turn it on the next day will the download progress be the same or will i have to download it again?...
  3. Game download question.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Game download question.: So I had For Honor previously on my xbox as a disc, so after deleting it, it was of course still in my library. But then I got a digital download code for the game from a friend(gift). If I have...
  4. question about downloading with game pass.

in XBoX on Windows
    question about downloading with game pass.: so a friend of mine wants to get game pass, but he mainly uses external hard drives because he doesnt have a big internal storage space, and as far as i recall, microsoft pass games are downloaded...
  5. Dolby Atmos Download Question

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Dolby Atmos Download Question: Hello! I hope all of you are well. I have what I hope is an easy question. So, I can buy Dolby Atmos for headphones on the Xbox One console. According to the download page, I have 10 product keys...
  6. Read Dead Redemption 2 Download Question

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Read Dead Redemption 2 Download Question: Good Morning, I am a total Xbox noob. Last night I hooked up my Xbox One and started downloading Red Dead Redemption 2 ( I have physical disc.) It started downloading, and than it asked me to...
  7. Question: time to download a game

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Question: time to download a game: I have a question. I want to buy a game with the sales that are going in right now. But when I buy the game i'm not abled to install it now, because i can't get to my xbox. So my question is: how...
  8. I have a question about the new Minecraft update free download.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I have a question about the new Minecraft update free download.: I have the disk version of minecraft xbox one edition that i bought yesterday. I have already played for 5 hours on it but the better together update is still not showing up as free....
  9. Download question

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Download question: If the Internet stops when I'm downloading a game it stops. Can the xbox 1 be set to automatically continue downloading when the Internet resumes. 383f0c95-6b9f-416f-8111-b5061e6d3693
  10. Question about re-downloading digital games on Xbox One?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Question about re-downloading digital games on Xbox One?: Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me verify an answer to my question I have about being able to re-downloading games on Xbox One? I was thinking about buy a digital version of a game...