Question about Hard Drive and License Transfer

Discus and support Question about Hard Drive and License Transfer in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I've had the Xbox 360 Slim since it was released in 2010, and it has worked perfectly until recently. The disc drive makes some pretty strange noises... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by DisturbedOne614, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Question about Hard Drive and License Transfer

I've had the Xbox 360 Slim since it was released in 2010, and it has worked perfectly until recently. The disc drive makes some pretty strange noises and actually made one of my games unplayable. I'm planning on buying the newest model of the 360 but I had
    a few questions about transferring my storage data, considering I plan on buying a 320GB hard drive since my 250GB is almost full. As far as I know there aren't any accessories that let you transfer data from one S hard drive to another, so my best guess would
    be to use something external. Would an external USB Hard Drive with a lot of space be an option as opposed to using a thumb drive to transfer my games and saves? Also, would I need to transfer my Games, saves and DLC to the new Xbox hard drive first before
    I do the console license transfer or does it not matter?

I just went to the License Transfer tab on my current 360 to see if it's changed since 2010, I pressed the A button and it tried transferring my licenses, I exited out of it but when I went back it said: "You transferred your console licenses on 6/19/2014.
    You'll need to wait until 10/18/2014 to transfer again."

What the ****? My content licenses were already on this damn console, what was it trying to transfer it to? I pressed one button without any warning given to me and I have to wait 4 months to be able to do it again. Stop d*cking around with Kinect and COD
    and put warnings when your console wants to do something, any feedback is appreciated and could you get your sh*t together Microsoft? That'd be great, thanks.

:)

DisturbedOne614, Jun 18, 2014
  2. Smwutches
    Smwutches Guest
    License Transfer Hard Drive question

Yes. The licenses are tied to your console, not the hard drive. So you'd only be downloading the licenses, not all of the data for the games.

Smwutches, Jun 18, 2014
  3. License Transfer Hard Drive question

Is it still necessary to redownload all my games after a license transfer if I transfer the harddrive from the old 360 to the new one?

Rider of Bears, Jun 18, 2014
  4. onyxishere
    onyxishere Guest

Ok, first off there is a cable to transfer from an S console drive to another S console drive. Here's a link on the details along with info on ordering one.

support.xbox.com/.../set-up-transfer-cable

As for the license transfer, sorry to hear about the mistake but it is fixable. All you need to do is call phone support when you get the new console and they can set up a manual transfer for you.

onyxishere, Jun 19, 2014
  5. onyxishere Win User

Ok, first off there is a cable to transfer from an S console drive to another S console drive. Here's a link on the details along with info on ordering one.

support.xbox.com/.../set-up-transfer-cable

As for the license transfer, sorry to hear about the mistake but it is fixable. All you need to do is call phone support when you get the new console and they can set up a manual transfer for you.
  6. onyxishere Win User

Question about license transfers and hard drives on the 360

This thread is almost two years old. For future reference it would be better for you to create a new thread detailing your issue instead of bumping an older one.

However, as mentioned above, what you have done is still considered Marketplace Theft so try not to do it again. As the DLC does not belong to you, you cannot download it.

Remember that Marketplace Theft can result in both the gamertags and/or consoles being banned entirely from Live.
  7. RequisiteBeast Win User

Hey i just want to ask on my old console i license transferred with one of my friends so i could get some DLC's so yeah the it got the red ring of death and died so i got a new console and on my new one i tried to download the DLC's again but they don't
    work can any one help me
  8. Smwutches Win User

The license transfer tool is only meant to be used if you have purchased content and have had to purchase or switch to a new console. It's not mean to be used to share games with other people. Even though your friend may have given you permission, the license
    still belongs to him and not you. So you would be exploiting the system to get something you haven't paid for.

The enforcement team do ban people for this.
  9. onyxishere Win User

Taken from the Xbox Live Terms of Use:

resell or redistribute any part of the Services or access to the Services, including the sale or purchase of an account and/or Microsoft Points;

Taken from the Code of Conduct:

H. Fraud & Commerce

• Accounts and Gamertags are non-transferable. Do not purchase accounts or Gamertags from third-parties.
    • Do not access or attempt to access accounts that you do not own.
    • Do not purchase Microsoft Points, Xbox Live Gold memberships, games or any additional content from unauthorized third-parties.
    • Do not attempt to utilize or share fraudulent methods to obtain content or Microsoft Points.
    • Do not use your account to trade services or in-game content for currency or Microsoft Points.
    • Do not use Xbox Live for any commercial purpose:
      • You may only create an account for yourself as an individual
      • You may not create or use an account for your corporation or any other business entity
      • Do not advertise any product or service in your profile or by any other means on Xbox Live
    • Do not resell or redistribute any part of the Live Service or access to the Live Service
Thema:

1. Question about Hard Drive and License Transfer - Similar Threads - Question Hard Drive

2. External hard drive question time!.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    External hard drive question time!.: I am using 1TB external drive for games and 4TB for video. And have no problems at all. Last 2 years. But good idea from your side :) keep it up f8efca78-c04d-4739-a77c-d4f4675e29c6
  3. External Hard Drive Question

in XBoX on Consoles
    External Hard Drive Question: Hi I recently maxed out storage on my xbox on, and went to buy a External Hard Drive, The sales dude told me the Western Digital Elements would work but not sure if he was just trying to make a...
  4. General Hard Drive storage question

in XBoX on Consoles
    General Hard Drive storage question: Greetings Xbox'ers, I'm reaching out to see if anyone knows whether I can re-use my Xbox 360 HD in an Xbox One console? Thought I'd asked before I get a new HD. Thanks!...
  5. External Hard drive Question and Help.

in XBoX on Consoles
    External Hard drive Question and Help.: Currently using a wall powered 8TB Xbox Game Hub drive which has a 7200rpm Barracuda drive inside. If i was to switch to a usb powered 4tb 5400rpm drive how much of a difference in load times...
  6. Xbox One Hard Drive Question

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox One Hard Drive Question: So I had the HDMI port in my console that was the common most used one repaired at a local repair shop. They said that it wouldn't display the image on screen and found that a chip called a "south...
  7. External hard drive questions. Will anybody please help!

in XBoX on Consoles
    External hard drive questions. Will anybody please help!: My son now has two xbox ones (at different addresses) but only one external hard drive that he totes from house to house. My question is, is there a way that he can have a duplicate external hard...
  8. Hard Drive Question

in XBoX on Consoles
    Hard Drive Question: hi, I was interested in getting an external hard drive for my incoming xbox one x. Not only would I like a few recommendations, I was wondering if games might load slower and/or suffer decreased...
  9. External hard drive question, please give me some advice.

in XBoX on Consoles
    External hard drive question, please give me some advice.: I currently have the Xbox One S with TWO external hard drives, each 3TB. I have the Xbox X pre ordered and I was weighing my options for the new system regarding my storage. Should I continue to...
  10. Question about transporting hard drive

in XBoX on Consoles
    Question about transporting hard drive: I am planning on taking my Xbox 360 S hard drive with me somewhere, and I am curious about the safety/integrity of doing so. Would putting it in something as simple as a plastic bag be safe...