Question regarding Tivo with activated cablecard, but no subscription...

Discus and support Question regarding Tivo with activated cablecard, but no subscription... in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; As you know, or if you don't already, you can install a cablecard in your tivo, have your provider activate it and receive all your channels. However,... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by chromecaster 88, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Question regarding Tivo with activated cablecard, but no subscription...

As you know, or if you don't already, you can install a cablecard in your tivo, have your provider activate it and receive all your channels. However, if you do not care for the DVR functionality, you do not have to subscribe to the tivo service. This will
    allow you to use your tivo box as your cable box and you can avoid rental fees. The only negative thing is that without subscription, Tivo won't allow you to use the channel guide either.

I think you know where I'm going with this. Question regarding Tivo with activated cablecard, but no subscription... :) If such a tivo is hooked up to the One through the pass-through, and of course subscribe to Live membership, will we be able to get the OneGuide? If anyone has tried this, please shed some light. I'm very curious
    about this.

If the answer is yes, then it would be awesome if Xbox adds DVR functionality. You would never have to pay for Tivo service again, just buy their set-top boxes and rent the cable card.

:)

chromecaster 88, Apr 10, 2014
  2. xbox one's tv abilities?

AbandonedFilly0, Apr 10, 2014
  3. BrianGunter
    BrianGunter Guest
    xbox one's tv abilities?

[quote user="IceStorm III"]The only stand-alone DVR available in the USA for cable is TiVo, and even those require a rented CableCARD. The only other third party was Moxi, and they folded. Cable companies will not sell end users DVR devices in the USA, they
    will only rent them. It's one of the big failings of CableCARD legislation

[/quote]
    A PC can be a stand-alone DVR. And I'm not sure about all companies, but with Comcast your first cablecard is free if you don't have a cable box. Additional cards are $1.50/month, which is a fraction of the cost of a cable box.

BrianGunter, Apr 10, 2014
  4. Question regarding Tivo with activated cablecard, but no subscription...

Yes to the OneGuide. No to the DVR. The DVR has been a request and is being looked into. Hope that helps!

-Cheers

Iautorenewedu, Apr 11, 2014
  5. Iautorenewedu Win User

Yes to the OneGuide. No to the DVR. The DVR has been a request and is being looked into. Hope that helps!

-Cheers
  6. BrianGunter Win User

xbox one's tv abilities?

[quote user="IceStorm III"]The only stand-alone DVR available in the USA for cable is TiVo, and even those require a rented CableCARD. The only other third party was Moxi, and they folded. Cable companies will not sell end users DVR devices in the USA, they
    will only rent them. It's one of the big failings of CableCARD legislation

[/quote]
    A PC can be a stand-alone DVR. And I'm not sure about all companies, but with Comcast your first cablecard is free if you don't have a cable box. Additional cards are $1.50/month, which is a fraction of the cost of a cable box.
  7. AbandonedFilly0 Win User

xbox one's tv abilities?

^^ this

A PC is by far the best stand alone DVR. Much faster and better interface than any cable box/TiVo on the market right now. Both silicondust and ceton have 6 tuner cablecard devices available. Need more storage? Just add another 3 tb HDD. Xbox 360s for extenders.

A cablecard costs $1-4 per month vs ~$20 per box (rental plus DVR service fees) for a slow DVR from the cable company with not much storage. No TiVo subscription fee.

MS should really be promoting and expanding on this, with expansion of xbox extender function, apps and streaming to windows phone/RT, android and iOS devices (as well as softsled while we are at it). Charging for media center is fine with me.

But it really seems like they would rather kiss up to the cable companies/EA and have stopped caring about their customers.
  8. JT Kimbell [MSFT] Win User

xbox one enters duplicate digits when changing channels (samsung OTA tv tuner)

Master Splief - 3 things:

1) Can you try going to Live TV troubleshooting and changing the IR speed?

2) Where is you Kinect positioned?

3) I have cable, but one thing I did is pick up a TiVo HD off of craigslist for $35, then I got a 2nd CableCard from Comcast (free, first was $2). I'm paying Comcast, but I'm paying $20-30 less than I would if I had paid for a cable box+HD service. Now I
    get HD channels and just don't bother paying for the TiVo subscription.
  9. PhishHooked Win User

Stuttering video using Hauppauge TV tuner on XBOX Once

I've replaced the Hauppauge tuner with a $49.99 Tivo Roamio OTA. you don't need a tivo subscription as the xbox one controls the tivo. there is a slight delay when changing channels, but it works great, I get all of the guide info with the one guide, hopefully
    we can DVR soon
Thema:

1. Question regarding Tivo with activated cablecard, but no subscription... - Similar Threads - Question regarding Tivo

2. Question regarding XBOX Cloud

in XBoX on Consoles
    Question regarding XBOX Cloud: Hi Everyone My Xbox Gold is about to expire, but instead of renewing GOLD i want to get the XBOX Game Pass. My question is if i stop XBOX Gold and get Game Pass instead will that locked me out...
  3. Question regarding my Xbox one Profiles

in XBoX on Consoles
    Question regarding my Xbox one Profiles: Hello, I have some queries regarding my Xbox one profiles. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'll explain the situation below and then lay out my questions at the end. I appreciate that my...
  4. Question regarding resetting an Xbox and profile content

in XBoX on Consoles
    Question regarding resetting an Xbox and profile content: Hi, I am looking to sell my Xbox One S and upgrade to Xbox One X, however I am a little confused about some things. If I reset my current Xbox and remove all content, if I sign in with my Xbox...
  5. Question regarding Xbox Live profile and content

in XBoX on Consoles
    Question regarding Xbox Live profile and content: Hi, Say for instance I sell my Xbox, will I have to remove my Xbox Live profile/account entirely? Will I have to do a hard reset in order for it to act as if if it were new? Also is it possible...
  6. Hey MS Community, I have a question regarding to a game that doesn't wanna run.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Hey MS Community, I have a question regarding to a game that doesn't wanna run.: I have been Playing this game called Mafia II for quite some time, i have finished the story but i still wanna play, jimmy's betrayal, Joe's adventures and the likes but the game doesn't wanna...
  7. Questions regarding Xbox game bar on Windows 10

in XboX Insiders
    Questions regarding Xbox game bar on Windows 10: I've really been enjoying the new game bar, mainly the performance monitor/window. But I'm not sure how to get it to do what I'd like it to do: Preferably, I would like to keep the performance...
  8. Question regarding XCloud issue

in XboX Insiders
    Question regarding XCloud issue: Hello, I was just accepted into the Xcloud program. Just in time for my trip this weekend. However to check it out, every time I play a game, the whole thing will lag, pixelated, Controller...
  9. Xbox Enforcement questions regarding how to avoid a console and permanent ban?

in XBoX Accessibility
    Xbox Enforcement questions regarding how to avoid a console and permanent ban?: What can I really do to avoid a possible console or permanent ban? 2 days ago, I received a 1 day com ban, but it was reduced because I successfully appealed. Thought maybe I need to know some...
  10. Gamebar question regarding linking

in XboX Insiders
    Gamebar question regarding linking: I'm a bit confused by the Gamebar. It asks you if you want to link your Steam account. So I did but it doesn't seem to do anything? I assumed it would allow me to chat with my Steam friends....