Question regarding Tivo with activated cablecard, but no subscription...

Discus and support Question regarding Tivo with activated cablecard, but no subscription... in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; As you know, or if you don't already, you can install a cablecard in your tivo, have your provider activate it and receive all your channels. However,... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by chromecaster 88, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Question regarding Tivo with activated cablecard, but no subscription...

As you know, or if you don't already, you can install a cablecard in your tivo, have your provider activate it and receive all your channels. However, if you do not care for the DVR functionality, you do not have to subscribe to the tivo service. This will
    allow you to use your tivo box as your cable box and you can avoid rental fees. The only negative thing is that without subscription, Tivo won't allow you to use the channel guide either.

I think you know where I'm going with this. Question regarding Tivo with activated cablecard, but no subscription... :) If such a tivo is hooked up to the One through the pass-through, and of course subscribe to Live membership, will we be able to get the OneGuide? If anyone has tried this, please shed some light. I'm very curious
    about this.

If the answer is yes, then it would be awesome if Xbox adds DVR functionality. You would never have to pay for Tivo service again, just buy their set-top boxes and rent the cable card.

:)

chromecaster 88, Apr 10, 2014
  2. xbox one's tv abilities?

AbandonedFilly0, Apr 10, 2014
  3. BrianGunter
    BrianGunter Guest
    xbox one's tv abilities?

[quote user="IceStorm III"]The only stand-alone DVR available in the USA for cable is TiVo, and even those require a rented CableCARD. The only other third party was Moxi, and they folded. Cable companies will not sell end users DVR devices in the USA, they
    will only rent them. It's one of the big failings of CableCARD legislation

[/quote]
    A PC can be a stand-alone DVR. And I'm not sure about all companies, but with Comcast your first cablecard is free if you don't have a cable box. Additional cards are $1.50/month, which is a fraction of the cost of a cable box.

BrianGunter, Apr 10, 2014
  4. Question regarding Tivo with activated cablecard, but no subscription...

Yes to the OneGuide. No to the DVR. The DVR has been a request and is being looked into. Hope that helps!

-Cheers

Iautorenewedu, Apr 11, 2014
  5. Iautorenewedu Win User

Yes to the OneGuide. No to the DVR. The DVR has been a request and is being looked into. Hope that helps!

-Cheers
  6. BrianGunter Win User

xbox one's tv abilities?

[quote user="IceStorm III"]The only stand-alone DVR available in the USA for cable is TiVo, and even those require a rented CableCARD. The only other third party was Moxi, and they folded. Cable companies will not sell end users DVR devices in the USA, they
    will only rent them. It's one of the big failings of CableCARD legislation

[/quote]
    A PC can be a stand-alone DVR. And I'm not sure about all companies, but with Comcast your first cablecard is free if you don't have a cable box. Additional cards are $1.50/month, which is a fraction of the cost of a cable box.
  7. AbandonedFilly0 Win User

xbox one's tv abilities?

^^ this

A PC is by far the best stand alone DVR. Much faster and better interface than any cable box/TiVo on the market right now. Both silicondust and ceton have 6 tuner cablecard devices available. Need more storage? Just add another 3 tb HDD. Xbox 360s for extenders.

A cablecard costs $1-4 per month vs ~$20 per box (rental plus DVR service fees) for a slow DVR from the cable company with not much storage. No TiVo subscription fee.

MS should really be promoting and expanding on this, with expansion of xbox extender function, apps and streaming to windows phone/RT, android and iOS devices (as well as softsled while we are at it). Charging for media center is fine with me.

But it really seems like they would rather kiss up to the cable companies/EA and have stopped caring about their customers.
  8. JT Kimbell [MSFT] Win User

xbox one enters duplicate digits when changing channels (samsung OTA tv tuner)

Master Splief - 3 things:

1) Can you try going to Live TV troubleshooting and changing the IR speed?

2) Where is you Kinect positioned?

3) I have cable, but one thing I did is pick up a TiVo HD off of craigslist for $35, then I got a 2nd CableCard from Comcast (free, first was $2). I'm paying Comcast, but I'm paying $20-30 less than I would if I had paid for a cable box+HD service. Now I
    get HD channels and just don't bother paying for the TiVo subscription.
  9. PhishHooked Win User

Stuttering video using Hauppauge TV tuner on XBOX Once

I've replaced the Hauppauge tuner with a $49.99 Tivo Roamio OTA. you don't need a tivo subscription as the xbox one controls the tivo. there is a slight delay when changing channels, but it works great, I get all of the guide info with the one guide, hopefully
    we can DVR soon
Thema:

1. Question regarding Tivo with activated cablecard, but no subscription... - Similar Threads - Question regarding Tivo

2. Questions Regarding Removing Child Account

in XBoX on Consoles
    Questions Regarding Removing Child Account: A few years ago, when my ex and I first got an XBox for her son, I created a gamertag, profile and a child account for him to play under. I know he uses it some, but he also uses mine. I'm not...
  3. Question Regarding Preview Alpha Skip-Ahead Invitations: Notification of Acceptance

in XboX Insiders
    Question Regarding Preview Alpha Skip-Ahead Invitations: Notification of Acceptance: Hello Insiders and Insiders’ Staff! I have a question regarding when Alpha Skip-Ahead notifications of acceptance will be sent to members that made the cut. As it was mentioned here and updated...
  4. Digital only Xbox - Question regarding games

in XBoX on Consoles
    Digital only Xbox - Question regarding games: I have been looking at the digital only version of the Xbox One S, mainly to use in a different room for playing online at the same time as my son (on games that don't have 2 player / split...
  5. Question Regarding XBL Ultimate and Redeeming XBL Code

in XboX Insiders
    Question Regarding XBL Ultimate and Redeeming XBL Code: My brother pays month to month for XBL Ultimate. Someone bought him a 3 month XBL card. If he redeems this, how does this affect his XBL Ultimate membership? Thank you! submitted by...
  6. Question regarding a suspension

in XBoX Accessibility
    Question regarding a suspension: My son was suspended by a bully whom he blocked. How is that possible? 363b7928-d67a-49b3-ad05-a91879dd3a35
  7. Question regarding changing rings from Alpha to Beta

in XboX Insiders
    Question regarding changing rings from Alpha to Beta: Hello Reddit, I've been thinking about moving from the Alpha ring up to Beta or even Delta and I've been wondering if that will "factory reset" my Xbox to install the Beta/Delta ring and remove...
  8. question regarding xbox live gold conversion into game pass ultimate

in XBoX Sales and Promo
    question regarding xbox live gold conversion into game pass ultimate: Hi all, I just noticed the promotion that if you pay $1 it converts your xbox live gold time into the ultimate game pass time. I have about 18 months of xbox live gold on my account. It sounds...
  9. Question regarding audio quality Alpha Skip Ahead

in XboX Insiders
    Question regarding audio quality Alpha Skip Ahead: Hello everyone, I know this question may need further assistance elsewhere, but I am in the insider program so I thought I’d see if anyone else has this issue before I move on. Over the past few...
  10. A few short questions regarding my new controller's state

in XBoX on Windows
    A few short questions regarding my new controller's state: Hi, I'm being a bit paranoid on this, but since I was recommended in this forum to RMA my last controller because it had some kind of scratches in the A button, which ended up being cracks, I'd...