Regarding game updates to a game stored in two locations (internal and external drive)

Discus and support Regarding game updates to a game stored in two locations (internal and external drive) in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I did my due diligence trying to find this answer on the forums and Google and get nothing close to an answer. That’s because the question has all... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Fujiyama Papa, May 7, 2021.

1. Regarding game updates to a game stored in two locations (internal and external drive)

I did my due diligence trying to find this answer on the forums and Google and get nothing close to an answer. That’s because the question has all these key words that throw off the search. In short I’m asking “Do games stored in two locations get updated simultaneously?” But I realize that there are several factors involved and dependent on the meaning of my question, so I’m asking here on the forum as thoroughly as possible below. Also if the answer is no, then I have additional questions noted at the end.

If i have a game existing on both my internal storage (set as the default for downloads) and an external storage device, and my Xbox automatically downloads an update to said game (i have mine set to automatic updates for games) do both copies of the game get the update simultaneously (obviously considering the external drive is always set to powered on and is connected to the Xbox at the time of the update)? If not, does the update download once and then is automatically copied to the external drive game? Does the external drive copy require a second automatic download of the update?

For context behind my question: I just started traveling with my older secondary Xbox and recently have been using an external drive for my primary Xbox (which stays at home). I wish to take the drive with me for use on my secondary Xbox when I travel. My hotels usually have very poor internet and If a game has to update, I pretty much can’t play it that day depending on the size of the update. I’d like to think that if I have a game that exists in two locations, that I don’t have to worry about which game is getting the update. They should both get updated at the same time. And I’d like to think that Xbox is efficient with my bandwidth by not having to download an update twice.

:)

Fujiyama Papa, May 7, 2021
  2. AssertiveGrub90 Win User

Updating a game causes me to have to reinstall the ENTIRE THING

If the external hard drive is the possible cause then try and update something while the hard drive is disconnected.

It may be that your game is on the external hard drive but your default location for downloading games in your internal hard drive so when it goes to update it can't find the game as it isn't in the default location. If this is the case you would need to
    make sure that the games being updated are on the internal hard drive before updating.
  3. MartinYacusa Win User

Updates download location

Updates can only be downloaded to the drive where the game is located.

So, even if you have the external set as the default download location, if your game is located internally that is where the update will go. You can't have a games and updates on different drives.
    Yeah I understand this, but like I said before...all the games are in the external, but for whatever reason is upgrading and updating to the internal.
  4. Obsessive Power Win User

Storage

Hi,

What game are you trying to update, and where is the game located?

Note that if the game is located on the internal drive, and the internal drive is full or nearly full, you won't be able to update the title, regardless of the free space on the external. Games can only be updated to the drive they are installed to.

Is this the problem you are experiencing?
  5. Obsessive Power Win User

Updates download location

Updates can only be downloaded to the drive where the game is located.

So, even if you have the external set as the default download location, if your game is located internally that is where the update will go. You can't have a games and updates on different drives.
  6. BreenX Win User

Game updates downloading only on default drive not the drive the game resides on

I tried your suggestion with the "When Xbox is off, turn off the storage" as unchecked. Still made no difference.

Just last night I was having issues with Split/Second recognizing my DLC for whatever reason, that's a different topic for a different time . . . ANYway, I have Split/Second and all its DLC on my internal drive, and my WD 4TB as my default download location.
    I deleted all the DLC for Split/Second, again, which was on the internal drive, but left the main game on the internal drive. When I went download my ready to download items for this game, which is on the internal drive, my Xbox started to download all the
    DLC onto the default drive, which is the external WD 4TB.

This is not an Xbox 360 game issue, this has been the case with Xbox One games as well. I've found two copies of the same game located on different drives, one being the default download location, the other being where I want it stored.

I would think the Xbox would be able to detect where a game is stored before downloading the game again for update reasons, or DLC, or whatever. This seems to be an internal logic issue, not a "don't have the right box checked" issue. I don't remember my
    Xbox behaving this way with one external drive. But with two external drives, it now is an issue.

Thanks

B
Thema:

Regarding game updates to a game stored in two locations (internal and external drive)

1. Regarding game updates to a game stored in two locations (internal and external drive) - Similar Threads - Regarding game updates

2. Regarding playing a game purchased in other platform on xbox series s

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Regarding playing a game purchased in other platform on xbox series s: I purchased a watch dogs legion in epic games. How can I play it on xbox series s? 622b5f16-8254-4bca-b848-63428c44d0e8
  3. Issue regarding a game.

in XBoX on Windows
    Issue regarding a game.: Me and a friend are having issues with the Xbox game app. on a game called Conan Exiles, in particular. My friend appears offline, when he's clearly online playing right next to me. His Xbox...
  4. Any news regarding PC games on gamepass cloud?

in XboX Insiders
    Any news regarding PC games on gamepass cloud?: Patiently waiting and hoping for some updated news on PC games on gamepass cloud. submitted by /u/SD-777 [link] [comments]
  5. Help needed regarding Xbox game pass payment

in XBoX Sales and Promo
    Help needed regarding Xbox game pass payment: In 2019 I paid for an xbox game pass ultimate and I didn't cancel the subscription in time, now the expiration date is on 1/9/2019, can someone tell if Microsoft is going to steal my money? and if...
  6. Not getting any help from Microsoft regarding Xbox Cloud Gaming for Apple

in XboX Insiders
    Not getting any help from Microsoft regarding Xbox Cloud Gaming for Apple: Despite several attempts, I am not getting any follow up help from Microsoft regarding my inquiry below. I signed up for Xbox Game Pass Ultimate because the Microsoft support person I was...
  7. Question Regarding Game Pass

in XBoX on Consoles
    Question Regarding Game Pass: My Question is…. If I have Redeemed Game Pass Code From Saudi Arabia And I have to move to India Will the Banned Games In Saudi Arabia Will Be Available When I Change My Country or Region??(For...
  8. question regarding beta of Game Pass browser game streaming

in XboX Insiders
    question regarding beta of Game Pass browser game streaming: i have an invite to the browser game streaming beta, i was wondering what the rules are around streaming on twitch while i play?, is this allowed? any help is appreciated submitted by...
  9. Questions regarding Xbox insider *levels?* and being able to play free games without live.

in XboX Insiders
    Questions regarding Xbox insider *levels?* and being able to play free games without live.: Hi everyone, I’m really new to all of this so I apologize In advance for my ignorance. I’ve been trying to do some research but still have some questions. 1. I have downloaded insider hub, and...
  10. Email "Important notice regarding Xbox One system update and game disc errors.‏"

in XBoX Sales and Promo
    Email "Important notice regarding Xbox One system update and game disc errors.‏": I received an e-mail titled "Important notice regarding Xbox One system update and game disc errors.‏" and in this e-mail it said: Dear xSCAR x TiSSUEx, Thank you for being a valued Xbox...