Screen time limitations and school

Discus and support Screen time limitations and school in XBoX Accessibility to solve the problem; I have seen this question posed elsewhere in these forums, but the thread was locked after a couple of years of Microsoft not giving any helpful input... Discussion in 'XBoX Accessibility' started by caseyjtaylor, Jan 23, 2022.

1. caseyjtaylor
    caseyjtaylor Guest

I have seen this question posed elsewhere in these forums, but the thread was locked after a couple of years of Microsoft not giving any helpful input and lots of other parents complaining about the same lack of functionality from Microsoft Family Safety. I'm wondering if Microsoft has otherwise addressed this since then since I cannot seem to find anything else useful.

Essentially, I want to create a screentime schedule where my children can use their laptops during the school day to access productivity software and education related websites, but I want to block certain websites, games, and apps during this time. Norton Family does have a school time feature that allows me this sort of flexibility, but only works on the phones and computers, not the X-Box. Later in the day, I would like them to have full access to games during a set time with certain screentime limits that the school time does not impact. For instance, if I wanted to set a 2-hour screentime limit for school nights, I would not want the four hours they spent on the computer at school to take away from that evening limit.

Based on what I've seen so far, I'm not optimistic that Microsoft has a reasonable solution, or is even interested in creating a reasonable solution, so I'm also very interested in other means of accomplishing the same thing or similar.

:)

caseyjtaylor, Jan 23, 2022
  2. Goth Vampirella Win User

First, I don't work for Microsoft. These are just forums but with that said, I just googled the question you asked and got this...

https://www.howtogeek.com/672818/ho...to the,this account can play for on that day. Link

Microsoft is working hard to enure that parents have easy access to user-friendly tools, which can control all the various aspects that make up our digital lives. With Microsoft Family Group, you can easily set a healthier schedule for when certain accounts in your group can use the Xbox One and for how long. To access these settings, open any browser, and navigate to the Microsoft Family Group website.

First, you’ll want to create a Family Group, which you can do either through this website or on your Windows 10 PC. Next, from the main page of your Microsoft Family Group, scroll down to the family member for whom you wish to regulate screen time. Click “Screen Time.”

There was a lot more on the page but I suggest using google. It's amazing. :p
  3. dauntlessvisage Win User

Microsoft family time limit across all games.

The current options are virtually useless, especially for kids that have an xbox and a gaming PC that they use for school work.

Having to have 2 accounts for my son, one for gaming (with a screen time limit) and an account where I'll block games, with no limit.

It's naff though, a cumulative games limit would be far far better
  4. JohnKemp55 Win User

screen time limits

Yes, we’re having the same problem! The parental controls appear to be a great feature, but only if they actually work. If microsoft can’t fix them it’ll be back to having an argument every time we want our son to quit Fortnite (sigh).
  5. debbiehoare Win User

screen time limits

activity doesn't show up that they have been on it at all even when they are blocked , whether that be by more than the time limit or by the fact its blocked .

If there is another account on there it is mine but they need my password to access that ,

If thney have two gamer tags which did occur to me that might be the case how to I associate that with his other gamertag
  6. Jaxpug Win User

Screen time limits

I like this idea, similar to how the iPhone regulates screen time. Would be great for kid’s accounts
Thema:

1. Screen time limitations and school - Similar Threads - Screen limitations school

2. XBOX Screen time limit

in XBoX Accessibility
    XBOX Screen time limit: My son uses my email on his Xbox account. Is there a way to set a screen limit on all users not just children - i.e. the family lead? 87df8747-9a9f-480e-a4f3-4b94ab57d5bb
  3. Screen Time Limits and Lock Screen

in XBoX Accessibility
    Screen Time Limits and Lock Screen: Can anyone confirm that when the Windows 10 screen is locked, the Family Safety Screen Time Limit clock is still "ticking"? In other words, if I give my son 4 hours of screen time, and he locks...
  4. Screen Time Limit

in XBoX Accessibility
    Screen Time Limit: Xbox Parental Lock I have a single Xbox Series X, and I want to be able to limit how much time my child spends playing games, but be able to play whenever I want myself. When I put a passcode on...
  5. Xbox goes to black screen with limited function.

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox goes to black screen with limited function.: last night my Base Xbox One turned on by itself and flashed a couple of times before turning off. Now when I turn it on it takes forever to load then it goes to a black screen. I can still hold...
  6. Screen Time Limit not unlocking

in XBoX Accessibility
    Screen Time Limit not unlocking: Hi, I am trying to figure out what went wrong here. I set up the screen time for my daughters Xbox one the other day and today when it got to the time for it to unlock it remained locked until I...
  7. Netflix and screen time limits

in XBoX on Consoles
    Netflix and screen time limits: I have set screen time limits for my son, but when his time runs out he simply switches to Netflix because it doesn't require sign in. Is this a Microsoft issue or a Netflix issue?...
  8. Screen Time limits by device

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Screen Time limits by device: Hi now that we are home schooling (Again!) is there a way that I can separate screen time on the Xbox from that on the Windows 10 Laptop. at the moment the limit is for both devices together so...
  9. Will there be improvements to time limits for game capture / screen recording on Xbox Series X?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Will there be improvements to time limits for game capture / screen recording on Xbox Series X?: Will there be future updates on the Xbox Series X to allow longer game captures / screen recordings? Currently the maximum is 3 minutes at 720p and 30 seconds at 4K. I would like to record...
  10. Can I apply screen time limits to gaming time but not to chat time?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can I apply screen time limits to gaming time but not to chat time?: We have family settings to give my son limits on how late he can play and how many hours per day he can play. The problem is that during the pandemic the xbox is also his primary means of...