Series S bad HDR on a 4K TV

Discus and support Series S bad HDR on a 4K TV in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; I’ve tried multiple 4K TVs in my house and while some games look ok in HDR others look like complete trash. I have a TCL R635 and a Sony x900h and with... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by NickD54, Sep 14, 2021.

1. NickD54
    NickD54 Guest

I’ve tried multiple 4K TVs in my house and while some games look ok in HDR others look like complete trash. I have a TCL R635 and a Sony x900h and with both of these hdr on the series S doesn’t look good. Lots of games look blurry including “state of decay 2” “destiny 2” and forza 4. Of the three I tested state of decay 2 looks worse than ps2 graphics with hdr enabled. The other 2 games don’t look quite as bad but all experienced the blur.

On both TVs I’ve tried multiple resolutions and the outcome is always the same, the series S is set up as 4K @ 60hz with hdr and auto hdr enabled currently. If I disable hdr then the image looks pretty clean. Don’t know what else to really do.

I’ve already factory reset, and cleared the cashe so please no comments saying to do that, thank you!

:)

NickD54, Sep 14, 2021
  2. Nursemorph Win User

Not entirely sure...HDR is something I don't have great knowledge about. It's possible it's related to the 4k upscaling and that that game in particular highlights it more. Best way to test would be to change the Xbox output to 1440p and see how it looks.
  3. ngocphi Win User

It's because hdr taxes the cpu because you are sharpening the images

Plus the fact you are trying to push 60fps at 4k

If you look at the white papers and multiple articles running it at 4k you should expect performance issues and graphical because of the upscaling

It's like the ps4 pro upcaling

As soon as you have fast moving pictures it shows

Yakuza runs at 900p 60hz

Running games at higher resolutions will only affect game performance this is why devs lock the resolutions for series s
  4. NickD54 Win User

Ok also what would cause Hdr stutter problems? I notice this in destiny 2. Getting occasional micro stutters but only with HDR enabled. Seems to be the only game I noticed it in this far.
  5. Nursemorph Win User

My guess would be it's because the Series S doesn't have 4k Natively...it's just an upscaled version of 1440p and, as HDR sharpens colours etc, it would highlight the fact it's just an upscaled picture.

If you are comparing it to, say, a One X, then it would be different as that console had Native 4k
  6. FOX APOCALYPSE Win User

Xbox One S Blu-ray 4k Blu-ray

Hi KnightMawk!

Error (91d70000) is in regards to, "4K is supported by your TV, but not at 60Hz. You won't be able to upscale to 4K, but, depending on your TV, you may still be able to play some 4K and HDR content. To see what your TV supports, choose 4K TV details."

The Links provided below will fully troubleshoot 4k and HDR on Xbox One S as well as suggested formatting solutions.

support.xbox.com/.../troubleshooting-4K-and-HDR-on-xbox-one-s

www.pocket-lint.com/.../138586-xbox-one-s-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-and-hdr-examined-in-more-detail
Thema:

1. Series S bad HDR on a 4K TV - Similar Threads - Series bad HDR

2. Games that aren't series s/x enhanced look bad

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Games that aren't series s/x enhanced look bad: So I have a Series S and I'm playing Soul Calibur 6 which is not series s or x enhanced and it looks terrible. Is this a thing were all non series enhanced games look like (Mod Removed) on the...
  3. Clips Xbox Series X they look quite bad

in XboX Insiders
    Clips Xbox Series X they look quite bad: The game looks good but when recording the clips these look very stuck when you see them, I already restarted the console and the problem continues, any solution? submitted by /u/DaTenacity...
  4. Why does XBox Series X suck so badly?!

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why does XBox Series X suck so badly?!: No exclusives, all we have is Game Pass! Ain't nobody trying to play a bunch of last gen games on current gen! Worse $600 I ever spent in my life! cf78263d-472f-4f84-b77c-d871927daf44
  5. Elite Series 2 Controller / 4 bad ones?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Elite Series 2 Controller / 4 bad ones?: One of my Elite Series 2 controlers had a bad paddle button. The other 3 all developed Left Stick Drift. The last 2 units have each developed stick drift in about 6 weeks of use. And I was playing...
  6. Elite series 2 controller on pc has bad input lag

in XBoX on Windows
    Elite series 2 controller on pc has bad input lag: I have tried every updating the polling rate and installing drivers, i olay warzone i even tired a changing the priority of the game beacuse someone said it might work that didnt either. Why does...
  7. xbox series S bad video quality on 1080 monitor

in XBoX on Consoles
    xbox series S bad video quality on 1080 monitor: xbox series S, bad video quality on 1080p monitor it's impossible to play, the quality is similar to 360p how to fix this ? i played CAll of duty warzone , Control , Sekiro ....
  8. blurry hazy bad hdr poor colours on series x FIXED!

in XboX Insiders
    blurry hazy bad hdr poor colours on series x FIXED!: Finally after trial and error and a lot of waiting I can confirm this works. I was experiencing very bad hdr it was very washed out the blacks were trash the colours were out of control and the...
  9. Wired Xbox Series X - Bad Lag

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Wired Xbox Series X - Bad Lag: Hello, Curious to see if anyone else is seeing this issue. My Xbox Series X is hard wired to my router (Orbi RBR750). Playing Fortnite I see the red x for poor connection. Playing Call of Duty...
  10. Xbox series x and lg c9 bad motion performance compard ps4 pro

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox series x and lg c9 bad motion performance compard ps4 pro: Hey, i bought the xbox series x and i have a new lg c9 and i get very eye hurting not smooth motion gaming, (not smooth motion, i cant read signs at gta v in the same time i look around with the...