Series S Flickering 120FPS

Discus and support Series S Flickering 120FPS in XBoX on Windows to solve the problem; About 2 months ago I decided to purchase a Series S coming from a PS4 for the price I figured might as well try Xbox and so far it has been a great... Discussion in 'XBoX on Windows' started by BubbaT1, May 29, 2022.

1. BubbaT1
    BubbaT1 Guest

About 2 months ago I decided to purchase a Series S coming from a PS4 for the price I figured might as well try Xbox and so far it has been a great experience.

However I decided to enable 120FPS in the settings and it all seemed to go fine until I loaded into games such as Fortnite it would start flickering every few seconds.

I was thinking it was something with my monitor but changing monitor settings did not help it is an ONN 1080P Gaming monitor that supports 165Hz, Freesync and 1ms refresh rate so I don't think it is a monitor issue.

If I switch back to 60FPS it stops. So what is going on?

:)

BubbaT1, May 29, 2022
  2. BubbaT1 Win User

Variable Refresh Rate was enabled however disabling it causes the flickering to stop. I notice other people reporting the same issues.

I purchased an upgraded HDMI 2.1 cable capable of 8k and 4k 120fps it did not solve the issue. Disabling variable refresh rate solves the issue.

So this has to be some kind of software compatibility problem. For now I just disabled Variable Refresh Rate on the console and disabled Adaptive/Free Sync on the monitor until hopefully Xbox does an update in the future.
  3. Ricardo Lechuga Win User

Hi BubbaT1! My name is Ricardo an independent advisor ready to help you with this situation!

Have you enable the Variable refresh rate option on the console? This is under video mode options

If that doesn't work you could try this, Turn off the Xbox console by pressing the Xbox button on the front of the console for about 10 seconds until it shuts down completely.

Unplug the console's and TV power and HDMI cable. Wait 10 seconds.

Plug the console and tv power and HDMI cable back in.

Press the Xbox button on your console to turn on the Xbox

If possible use a different HDMI cable

Follow these steps to request the service:

Sign in to the Device service and repair page with your Microsoft account credentials.

https://account.microsoft.com/devices/select-de...

****If your device doesn't appear, add it

Select the device that you want repaired.

Follow the onscreen steps to complete your service order request.

After Device service and repair receives your submission, they’ll send you a service order number and an order confirmation email that includes shipping instructions.
  4. BubbaT1 Win User

The monitor does confirm it is running at 120fps it automatically detects it and switches from 60 to 120fps when I enable it from the Xbox so I know the monitor is capable of 120fps.

I assume the FreeSync/Adaptive Sync is what enables variable refresh rate? if so there is a setting on the monitor for enabling and disabling that as well which I had tried both enabled and disabled but the problem still remained.

The only option was disabling variable refresh rate on the console itself to stop the flickering, the console seems to be holding a steady 119-120fps on Fortnite.

I will just stick with having it disabled for now, could be a monitor issue but I do not have any other monitor or capable tv to test with for now.
  5. SwordofWhedon Win User

165hz is a nonstandard timings, given the price point and the fact I’ve never heard of it, my first suspect would be that the electronics can’t handle it. Many monitor makers will overclock hardware that really isn’t up to snuff. This is classic behavior where it drops frames to try to catch back up.

The electronics and software that drives the panel is more important than the actual panel. How the TV fits round shapes into square holes all comes down to those chips and algorithms.

EDIT VRR also takes additional CPU cycles that could account for it.
  6. Ricardo Lechuga Win User

Glad to know is currently working, it could be that the screen doesn't actually need a variable refresh rate configuration, that's also common, have a great day
Thema:

1. Series S Flickering 120FPS - Similar Threads - Series Flickering 120FPS

2. flickering issue with xbox series s - xbox series s problems

in XBoX on Consoles
    flickering issue with xbox series s - xbox series s problems: hi. it's a week or two that i got my new xbox series s and have this weird issues in cod warzone. the screen is flickering and i dont know what the problem is. can it be the console hardware?...
  3. Series X flickering/flashing after last update

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Series X flickering/flashing after last update: Hello, so, today I had an update on my series x, when its finished, I start playing, and noticed that the screen of my tv is flickering/flashing, specially on darker scenes...so I went to the...
  4. green flickers when going to dashboard.xbox series x

in XBoX Games and Apps
    green flickers when going to dashboard.xbox series x: When minimizing or turning off the game ,green bars appear on the dashboard for a second. this only happens when dolby vision is turned on. Everything is fine in hdr. lg TV with dolby vision...
  5. Screen Flickering/Flashing - Xbox Series X

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Screen Flickering/Flashing - Xbox Series X: I have screen flickering/flashing issue while setting up my Xbox Series X. I have tried changing HDMI cables, tried changing HDMI port, switching from TV to my monitor, but this issue keeps...
  6. Xbox series x flickering when staying idle on Xbox menu

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox series x flickering when staying idle on Xbox menu: When I open the Xbox menu with the Xbox button on the controller and then stay idle for a few minutes, the console starts to flicker hard. Especially when switching to 60hz. It disappears after a...
  7. Series X Screen Flickering and Controller Disconnect

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Series X Screen Flickering and Controller Disconnect: I've been having this issue since I bought my Xbox Series X. I found that quick resume worsens the flickering. I will be playing a game and the screen will start to flicker a little bit, then...
  8. Flickering and flashing om series s and x

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Flickering and flashing om series s and x: Hi. Im having issues with flickering on Bright objects while gaming on series x and s. Im playing on a Samsung oddysey g5. For example, i Bright Shining moon and sun om the sky with Clouds in...
  9. Elex Xbox Series X image flickering/flashes during the game

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Elex Xbox Series X image flickering/flashes during the game: Image flashes in Elex. This happens at random times and becomes more frequent when it rains in the game. This happens in resolution mode and performance mode. I've tried turning variable refresh...
  10. Xbox Series X Freesync Flicker (Brightness Flickering)

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox Series X Freesync Flicker (Brightness Flickering): Hello, I am currently using a xbox series x on a msi optix g27cq4. I am experiencing a subtle flickering. Fast change in brightness. Many probably know this as freesync flickering. This occurs...