Some games won't install on external hard drive.

Discus and support Some games won't install on external hard drive. in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hey there, Recently, I've been having some trouble installing some games on my external hard drive. It's a Seagate 8TB and it's being strictly used on... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by III Essence, Sep 3, 2019.

1. III Essence
    III Essence Guest

Hey there, Recently, I've been having some trouble installing some games on my external hard drive. It's a Seagate 8TB and it's being strictly used on my Xbox One X. The issue first occurred when I tried installing Black Desert via Game Pass
    into my external hard drive. The second I click install, Xbox will notify me that the installation stopped 3 times, accompanied with the error code 0x80070570, and will force me to cancel the installation in the Games and Apps menu.

Now, I've got over 2TB of space left in my external hard drive, so I know that space isn't the issue. And I know that the hard drive might not be the direct cause because I managed to install a ton of other games after the initial incident via Game Pass and
    purchased games with no issues. Also, the issues occurred with a couple of other games I tried installing via Game Pass; Devil May Cry 5 and Kingdom Come Deliverance, as well as Hitman S1, which is the free game offered through XBL this month.

I managed to circumvent the issue by installing all the games mentioned above into my internal hard drive hassle free.

I also noticed that the issue may have affected games already installed into my external hard drive. When I tried booting up the game SMITE, the Xbox would tell me that it needed to finish installing, even though it had been installed for years now and played
    many times since, no issues whatsoever. In order to get it to work again, I had to uninstall it and reinstall it into my internal hard drive.

So my question is, anybody know what the issue may be and how it can be rectified? I would much rather keep installing my games in my external hard drive as it more convenient space-wise..

Any help would be much appreciated.

(On a side note, are we still able to ask for help to the Xbox Support account on Twitter? Just curious because I DMd them twice this passed week regarding this and never got a response, whereas in the past, they would respond to DMs the same day.)

:)

III Essence, Sep 3, 2019
  2. Obsessive Power Win User

Want a way to hide installed game from the list

Hi,

The only sure fire way would be to buy an external hard drive, install the game to this device and only plug it in when you want to play it. You could also use the external drive to install other games you don't want the children to have access to.

This is the only way since it's not possible to hide games. But games installed to an external hard drive won't show if said external drive is not plugged in.
  3. III Essence Win User

Hey XBF Leo Geo,

Thank you for your prompt response.

Firstly, I verified whether or not my console's up to date and sure enough, it is (option to update is greyed out).

Also, when I try to move the games I was forced to install into my internal hard drive to my external hard drive, the same error pops up and it doesn't let me do so (installation stopped 3 times, accompanied with the error
    code 0x80070570).

Finally, yes, I am part of the Xbox Insider Program.

I guess the only thing left is reformatting the external hard drive and see if that does the trick. I may not do it right away as I've got around 6TB of games installed in there that I'll need to reinstall, but I'll do so soon enough and post the results here
    so that others may use as reference if they end up having the same issue.

Thank you so much for help bud!
  4. XBF Leo G Win User

Hello III Essence,

Thank you for posting on the Xbox forums. We understand that some games will not install or play on your external hard drive. There are a couple of troubleshooting steps that we can try. The first one is to make sure that

your console is up to date
    . The console may be having an issue with installing updates on your external hard drive. That is why you're forced to move them to the internal hard drive like you explained. This could also explain how the console states that
    the game is not fully installed when it was. This is because the update adds to the game's file size.

Do the games still produce the same errors when you move them to the internal hard drive and then back to the external? Is your console enrolled in the

Xbox Insider Program
    ? We could try formatting the hard drive, but that would require us to remove all the games from the external and move them to the internal. We would prefer to do this step last since it is the most time consuming. Be sure to let us
    know the results!

The Twitter Support Team is mostly there to take reports of any issues, and keep everyone updated on their progress with resolving issues. You can receive support by posting here on the forums or by contact the
    Xbox Support Team
    through the Xbox website. We hope this information helps!
  5. AngelObullets Win User

Can't play apex legends because of this error...

Could be the external hard drive causing the issue then it won't be the first time I seen errors appearing after updates on external hard drives. Try installing it on internal drive instead if you can?.
  6. BadDeadpool6969 Win User

Gears Of War 5

It’s installing now. I had to unplug my external hard drive and let the game install to the internal hard drive for some reason. Thanks everyone for your help.
Thema:

1. Some games won't install on external hard drive. - Similar Threads - games won't install

2. Xbox Game Pass PC - Won't let me play installed games and restarts when I attempt.

in XBoX on Windows
    Xbox Game Pass PC - Won't let me play installed games and restarts when I attempt.: Hello all, I've been running into this issue for the past two days. I have an active account for the Xbox game pass on my pc and I can download games, but when I attempt to play them it shuts...
  3. Xbox Game Pass for Windows 10 won't install or play games

in XBoX on Windows
    Xbox Game Pass for Windows 10 won't install or play games: Hi All, I have just bought a new PC but am still using the same hard drive as before, I am having the issue where games won't launch if already installed, will get stuck on preparing if I try to...
  4. Game won't install

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Game won't install: Hi i bought a game off Amazon and it was resident evil 7. The game wont install. I have no internet. I had the same trouble before and no help. Please help. f10efa55-7d90-4737-993b-6c2a663e082c
  5. XBOX1 won't use my 2TB 3.0 480mbps Flash Drive as game installation location

in XBoX on Consoles
    XBOX1 won't use my 2TB 3.0 480mbps Flash Drive as game installation location: I have tried literally everything from CMD, diskpart, chkdsk, diskpart clean, completely wipe and delete the partition and reformat NTFS. Tried disk manager, made sure it's MBR type and my Xbox...
  6. Help, Xbox Beta PC game won't install (Video Included in Link)

in XBoX on Windows
    Help, Xbox Beta PC game won't install (Video Included in Link): Video Here https://www.reddit.com/r/microsoft/comments/gqoxcf/uninstalled_the_game_as_it_didnt_let_me_play_on/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x Hello, I've been stuck with this issue for a...
  7. Games won't install with Xbox Game Pass for PC

in XBoX on Windows
    Games won't install with Xbox Game Pass for PC: Hi, I have a major issue with my Game Pass on PC, since for almost two weeks, games won't install with the application. It goes on a waiting list but never goes further, even stops itself from...
  8. Game won't install

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Game won't install: Hi i bought the new civilization 6 and i cannot get it too install i even bought a can of air blue it out and still the dics won't install and all of my other game work just not that one so is...
  9. I've just bought a game on Windows Store but it won't let me install

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I've just bought a game on Windows Store but it won't let me install: Just comes up with this message: "Where do you want to install? It looks like you don’t have any applicable device(s) linked to your Microsoft account. To install, sign in on a device with your...
  10. Xbox Beta (PC) app won't install specifically "A Plague Tale" game.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox Beta (PC) app won't install specifically "A Plague Tale" game.: The game: A Plague Tale: Innocence - Windows 10 Problem: Clicking the install button causes it to change to "preparing" then brings me back to the green install button again. Game won't...