There's a problem with Bandwidth usage (or auto-update) #insidersring

Discus and support There's a problem with Bandwidth usage (or auto-update) #insidersring in XboX Insiders to solve the problem; [IMG] I am beta testing new fiber that will soon be rolled out in my city, so I've been spending a little more time than normal looking at what is... Discussion in 'XboX Insiders' started by /u/GrfxGawd, Jul 14, 2020.

1. /u/GrfxGawd
    /u/GrfxGawd Guest

There's a problem with Bandwidth usage (or auto-update) #insidersring [​IMG]

I am beta testing new fiber that will soon be rolled out in my city, so I've been spending a little more time than normal looking at what is happening on my network, and I found this. 141.41 TB of data reported being used from 4/30 to 5/31 of this year. Impossible. Or, is it?

Auto-update on the console often fails. It's not infrequent I go to play a game (or even us an app) and it says there's an update. However, I have for many months frequently received reports on my console that an app or game has failed to update. There is the weird and perverse possibility due to apps or games failing to update the console "might" have used that data attempting to update things that failed. That presents a significant problem that needs to be addressed, immediately. My previous ISP, Mediacom has data caps and that amount of data would have been a thousand+ dollars of overage. THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS in overage fees. I wasn't charged any though, and that could be either that the number reported here is bogus, or that they did in fact temporarily lift data overage fees. (And I don't know which is true.)

So to recap:

1. The reporting function needs to be checked.

2. The problem with apps and games failing to update needs to be addressed.

3. We also need to ability to look back over time to see daily usage. Currently, we can't.

4. We need the ability to see how much each game or app uses, there's no current way to do this.

These are not just quality of life issues. Someone like myself using an ISP that has data caps and charges overage fees might end up in court over a dispute and being able to provide specific proof of data use might be necessary to avoid a court case, or at least be able to not be on the hook for potentially thousands of dollars.

(I've saved this entire document in the off chance this gets deleted as somehow irrelevant, as almost every post I've ever made here has been systematically deleted. Yes, I submitted a report via the console to Xbox, but it did not include all the information provided here.)

141.41 TB!!!

submitted by /u/GrfxGawd
    [link] [comments]

/u/GrfxGawd, Jul 14, 2020
    1 person likes this.
  2. Lord Bane74 Win User

Bandwith/Total Usage this period

Very interesting unless a recent update is no longer counting that as bandwidth usage on the Xbox One, and I'm not finding anything particularly detailing a change in Bandwidth counting.
    Got the same problem here (Italy). My bandwidth usage does not add up videos (amazon prime video) and even games download from gamepass. I downloaded Lego Worlds (4GB) just to try and my bandwidth usage shows only 236MB. Moreover, I'm installing latest RDR2
    patch and the download speed in the bandwidth usage page shows just a few kbit/s whilst shows the correct speed (tens of mbit/s) in the queue tab of my apps&games menu.
  3. slackadelic Win User

Bandwith/Total Usage this period

Very interesting unless a recent update is no longer counting that as bandwidth usage on the Xbox One, and I'm not finding anything particularly detailing a change in Bandwidth counting.
  4. Cerebral Paul Win User

Why did my Xbox One X hijack itself because I moved to a place with limited internet?

Turn off all auto updates, games AND console. You'll need to adjust to budgeting your bandwidth usage. Control what your phone is doing as well, and remember Youtube, Netflix etc all add up too.

I know others who deal with the same issue.
  5. Misses Quinzel Win User

Bandwidth Usage

Hey, guys! Hopefully Malacath has helped you out, DIYoung. If he hasn't, then please feel encouraged to post up a new thread. This one is a bit old, and the original poster has marked it as answered. Detail what you're running into and troubleshooting you've
    completed. This way our community can get you the individual support that works best on the forums. :)
  6. Malacath Win User

Bandwidth Usage

@DIYoung.

Your console has probably automatically downloaded another update for Master Chief that you didn't know about.

If you have a metered connection I highly recommend you switch the console to energy saving mode.

In energy saving the console takes longer to boot up but it doesn't have automatic updates. This gives you more control in how much bandwidth you are using.
Thema:

1. There's a problem with Bandwidth usage (or auto-update) #insidersring - Similar Threads - There's problem Bandwidth

2. : LG SN11RG w/ LG C9 Atmos Problems.

in XBoX TV Hardware
    : LG SN11RG w/ LG C9 Atmos Problems.: : LG SN11RG w/ LG C9 Atmos Problems. So. I have an LG C9. I just upgraded from the Sony HT-ST5000 soundbar to the LG SN11RG soundbar. I was using eARC connection with my ST5000 since the eARC...
  3. Balance problem

in XBoX Sales and Promo
    Balance problem: So, my friend used two $15 gift cards and he redeemed them both. In his balance it says $30 but when he proceeds to buy a game it only shows that he has $15. Are there any tips to solve this??...
  4. Looking for Group problem

in XBoX on Consoles
    Looking for Group problem: My main account is showing almost 0 looking for posts on xbox and pc, when i look on my phone over a thousand show up, my alt account will have every post showen on xbox and pc. How do i fix this...
  5. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Game DVR Problems

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Game DVR Problems: Using Xbox DVR to capture clips seems to not function properly when playing cod:mw. DVR will record clips that are less than 10 seconds, with no audio attached. I have lost many minutes of...
  6. Wireless Controller Problem

in XBoX on Consoles
    Wireless Controller Problem: My xbox has a wireless controller problem, if i put the controller very very close to the xbox it will work however it does not work in a playable range. I was thinking of maybe buying a microsoft...
  7. PS 4 Microsoft Account Linking problem (Minecraft)

in XBoX Games and Apps
    PS 4 Microsoft Account Linking problem (Minecraft): Hello So I’ve been trying to connect my microsoft account to my Minecract PS4 Edition for 2-3 days. I’ve tried deleting my saved data and made 2-3 new Microsoft accounts but I always get the...
  8. Report a problem tool may not be submitting reports properly for me currently.

in XboX Insiders
    Report a problem tool may not be submitting reports properly for me currently.: I'd experienced an issue with the Guide not opening properly with my input. After writing out a report. I opted to submit the report. For some reason. The `Xbox Insider Hub` brought me right back...
  9. Xbox asking “Do you own this game or app?” Who else has this problem? If you do please...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox asking “Do you own this game or app?” Who else has this problem? If you do please...: I have a bunch of games that I’ve bought AND a bunch I got from games with gold over the last 8 years and ms asks me to verify ownership. For example I’ve bought elder scrolls morrowind TWICE and...
  10. Video Bandwidth Problem - But Passed "Very High" speed test

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Video Bandwidth Problem - But Passed "Very High" speed test: I have my PC and XBOX on a wired GigaByte connection and my PC Win 10 XBox App passed all connection test up to "Very High" using the latest XBOX APP Version "14.something.something.something" - I...