This game does not support installation to a specific folder - not installing at all

Discus and support This game does not support installation to a specific folder - not installing at all in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; I have a dedicated hard drive for installing PC Game Pass games but there is a small handful of games that I am currently unable to install:... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by EllPolloDiablo, May 26, 2022.

1. This game does not support installation to a specific folder - not installing at all

I have a dedicated hard drive for installing PC Game Pass games but there is a small handful of games that I am currently unable to install:
    Spiritfarer

Forager

Ori and the Blind Forest

New Super Lucky's Tale

All of these games give me a warning on install that they "do not support installation to a specific folder" and that they will "install where MS apps are installed". That's fine, I don't mind, but when I then attempt to install them, they all immediately error, giving error code 0x80070005.

I've attempted to find a solution to this but haven't been able to find any answers.

All four of these games installed perfectly previously, and I didn't even get that warning before. This has only started happening since the major update that changed the Xbox app UI.

Has anyone else encountered this? Can anyone provide some assistance?

Thanks.

:)

EllPolloDiablo, May 26, 2022
  2. EllPolloDiablo Win User

This game does not support installation to a specific folder - not installing at all

Hi Josef,

I tried following your steps and it still didn't work, so I've given in and tried to install it on C: and it's now working.

I still don't understand why I was able to install to a different drive previously but now I have to use the C:, but at least I can install them now.

The UX around that message could do with a bit of improvement, I think. It implies that you can install it to wherever the rest of your apps are, rather than explicitly stating it needs to be on the C: drive.

Thanks for your help.
  3. JosefLBohorquez Win User

That's odd.

Even if you try installing on C: partition the issue persists mate?

You could try this too:

Open Settings, click Update and Security and then Windows Update;

Click Check for Updates;

Click the Download and Install Now option, if available;

Also, check the Microsoft Store for any updates on the Xbox apps and its services.

When everything's up to date try this:

Go to windows settings > apps > search for gaming services app > click on it and select advanced options.

After that, click repair and then restore

Then do the same for the Xbox app:

Go to windows settings > apps > search for Xbox app > click on it and select advanced options.

After that, click repair and then restore, open the app and try again.
  4. JosefLBohorquez Win User

Hi and thanks for reaching Microsoft Xbox gamer's community. My name is Josef.

I'm an Independent Advisor and a Microsoft Xbox user like you.

Hope you're doing great today mate

That's odd, Could you try create a new partition and then try install one of those game on the new partition?

Also, it's good to change where new apps are going to be installed inside settings app to that new partition.

Let me know how it goes
  5. JosefLBohorquez Win User

That's odd friend.

I'm thinking couple options more:

1. You're going to uninstall the games services using a powershell command:

In the windows search bar type Powershell > Right click and select open as administrator > Type the command: "get-appxpackage Microsoft.GamingServices | remove-Appxpackage –allusers" (without the ""), Wait for the process to finish and then restart the PC.

After that Open the Run window by pressing Windows + R key. > Input WSReset.exe in the Run window and click OK.

Then a command prompt window will appear. After a few seconds, Windows Store will open

Finally open your Xbox gamepass app, it will ask you to install the gaming services again, install it and try again.

2. Try uninstalling the most recent windows update, just in case it is the one that is causing conflicts

3. If you're on Windows 11, downgrade to 10 and try again. Or do the opposite case if you're able to upgrade to 11.

4. Perform a clean boot keeping games and files on your actual Windows version, in that way you're going to have a clean installation of windows system. For all this, in the link below you can see steps:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...c-d626-e3b5a3024da5#WindowsVersion=Windows_10

For step 4, you can try this workaround just to test:

Create a virtual machine with the same OS and version that you currently have, then try install one of those games on the virtual machine and see how it goes. It is working and none of the above works, this means best option will be perform the last option
  6. EllPolloDiablo Win User

Hi Josef,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I've created a new partition and changed the setting for default apps to point at the new partition. Tried restarting one of the installations but it's still erroring, I'm afraid.
Thema:

1. This game does not support installation to a specific folder - not installing at all - Similar Threads - game does support

2. Bell Canada Home Hub 4000 Does Not Support XBOX Gaming when Wired

in XBoX on Consoles
    Bell Canada Home Hub 4000 Does Not Support XBOX Gaming when Wired: Just switched over to a Bell Fibe 1.5Gbps plan, and have been running into a very weird issue with my Home Hub 4000. When I plug my XBOX into the Home Hub (base configuration) via Ethernet to...
  3. Does Xbox Game Pass for PC support mods?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Does Xbox Game Pass for PC support mods?: Does the Game Pass support mods for Windows? If not, has there been any talk of it being added in the future? a5a90ee0-453b-4d38-abff-50ca1ecf0d13
  4. 2nd controller not detected in xbox cloud games, does it even support

in XBoX on Consoles
    2nd controller not detected in xbox cloud games, does it even support: 2nd controller not detected in xbox cloud games, does it even support 2nd controller on the same device 5f6c0515-6720-416f-a112-c69171604811
  5. Does Cricket 19 on Windows via Xbox Game Pass not support online multiplayer?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Does Cricket 19 on Windows via Xbox Game Pass not support online multiplayer?: I recently discovered Cricket 19 via Xbox Game Pass and have been hooked on the game ever since. I have been playing locally for a few months. I have tried multiple times to play online via their...
  6. Does LG C7/C8(2017/2018 OLEDs) support Dolby Vision HDR for Gaming at 60 Hz? Remember, they...

in XboX Insiders
    Does LG C7/C8(2017/2018 OLEDs) support Dolby Vision HDR for Gaming at 60 Hz? Remember, they...: Title says it all basically. I am talking about Dolby Vision HDR at 60 Hz here. Not 120 Hz. I know HDMI 2.0 can't do 4K at 120 Hz. But C7 and C8 do support Dolby Vision HDR and can play games at...
  7. were is support all I get is bots trying to buy a game as a gift and this is what it does

in XBoX Sales and Promo
    were is support all I get is bots trying to buy a game as a gift and this is what it does: Contact us at Microsoft support We’re having trouble processing your payment and we’d like to get it sorted out. Contact us at Microsoft support We’re having trouble processing your payment and...
  8. Xbox Game Pass app does not support different store and gamertag accounts

in XBoX on Mobile
    Xbox Game Pass app does not support different store and gamertag accounts: Hi, In my xbox 360 days, I used a secondary email adress for my xbox live account, thus linking my gamertag to this adress. Last year I subscribed to game pass PC on my windows 10 computer,...
  9. Disk Volume does not support file encryption - games won´t install on PC 0x8007177e

in XBoX on Windows
    Disk Volume does not support file encryption - games won´t install on PC 0x8007177e: When trying to install games on my second unit, I always get the error: "Disk Volume does not support file encryption. Allow encryption on selected disk volume to install this game. Error...
  10. Is there a way to manually delete a corrupt cloud save for a game which does not support...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Is there a way to manually delete a corrupt cloud save for a game which does not support...: For a year now, I have been unable to play Shenmue due to my cloud save being corrupt. The game only supports cloud saves, in offline mode, the game has no option to save. As a result of this,...