Unable to connect external drive for screen and capture

Discus and support Unable to connect external drive for screen and capture in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hello, I have been trying to set up my Xbox One so that it captures game play on an external drive. I first purchased a 2TB USB 3.1 pen drive. After... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by KelvinGovey, Oct 25, 2020.

1. KelvinGovey
    KelvinGovey Guest

Hello, I have been trying to set up my Xbox One so that it captures game play on an external drive. I first purchased a 2TB USB 3.1 pen drive. After formatting as NTFS, I had the error "Storage must be USB 3.0 or faster" I don't know why this would happen
    when using a USB 3.1 drive, but maybe it was just a non compatible USB drive. So, after a few weeks of frustrating trouble shooting I just gave up altogether and then purchased an external Seagate USB 3.0 hard drive. I have formatted this drive on a pc as
    Microsoft NTFS format with a 200mb EFI system partition and also without an EFI partition, as well as MBR and GPT initialization. However, when assigning the storage drive as a capture location I got the message "First format this drive on your PC " or “use
    for media, or for game & apps” screen pops up. When cancelling this option, the disk is no longer accessible. I am now at my wits end with what I thought to be an easy process! Please can anyone help me understand what is going wrong?

:)

KelvinGovey, Oct 25, 2020
  2. Jeff Jenkins
    Jeff Jenkins New Member
    I have exactly the same issue - the disk is formatted correctly as NTFS and is recognised as such on a windows 10 PC and on the disk is recognised on the Xbox and I selected "Media" when prompted. I can see the drive under the storage section listed as "EFI" and can read any media files that have been written to the file by a PC but when i try and set it as the game capture device the Xbox says it must be formatted as NTFS and will not set it as the game capture device. I think this is a bug in the operating system.

Jeff Jenkins, Oct 6, 2021
  3. Jeff Jenkins
    Jeff Jenkins New Member
    I worked it out - you need to use a partitioning tool (Not the windows disk manager) to remove the EFI partition and optionally merge the space it used with the main partition. Then you can set it as the capture device from the storage menu and successfully save clips there.

Jeff Jenkins, Oct 6, 2021
  4. SwordofWhedon Win User

There are many USB dlash drives that are extremely slow. What is the make and model?
  5. AquarrzSudnnym Win User

Xbox one X record feature

Try deleting some captures off of your consoles Internal drive after you upload them to the cloud.

You could also connect an external drive, formatted as the capture location for all your captures.

I think you only have limited space on the internal drive for captures, clips, screenshots etc. and once the limit is reached older captures are overwritten by newer ones.
  6. Grimsupanoob Win User

Xbox one x capture

Hi There.

i would delete any captures that are on the console, as there is only limited space for captures

attach a external drive, and set the drive as the location for the captures, that should help
  7. RagingSphere Win User

0x80bd003c - Format HDD to NTFS to use for Xbox game captures

Yes and it gives me the error message as per the above.

You can also set the external drive as capture location from the storage screen but it gives me the exact same error message.
  8. SamQY Win User

Unable to Record Xbox One

I'm Samy an independent advisor

How are you, Stephen?

When you connect the external hard drive to your console does a screen appear asking you to format the drive to record captures? And have you also set your preferences to use the hard drive?

Press the Xbox button  to open the guide, and then select Profile & system > Settings > Preferences > Capture & share.

Select Capture location, and then choose a destination for your game clips and screenshots.

To start a recording>

Start your game. Press the Xbox button to open the guide.

Select Capture & share > Start recording. Depending on your game clip resolution and available storage space, clips can last up to 10 minutes (capturing to internal storage) or 1 hour (capturing to external storage).

To end the clip, open the guide and press the X button . You'll get a message when your clip is saved.
Thema:

1. Unable to connect external drive for screen and capture - Similar Threads - Unable connect external

2. Can't seem to fix being unable to connect to Forza servers.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Can't seem to fix being unable to connect to Forza servers.: I've been having this problem for a bit now but I can remember a while back I was able to play online. I can't now and I've tried on Forza Horizon 4 and Motorsport 7 (which are the only Forza...
  3. Unable to connect to world

in XBoX on Consoles
    Unable to connect to world: Anytime I try to join a friends world on Minecraft Xbox sx it says unable to connect I’ve uninstalled the game changed my NAT type and still nothing I’ve tried so much and nothing seems to work...
  4. Unable to connect to world

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Unable to connect to world: I bought minecraft pocket edition on ios two days ago. After that I tried to play with my friends but couldn't join for this reason many times. I've tried various ways on youtube and still can't...
  5. Unable to connect to servers in minecraft windows 10 edition.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Unable to connect to servers in minecraft windows 10 edition.: Since few days i am not able to connect to srvers on minecraft bedrock with my wifi. But when I use the mobile data then I can use. Same problem is also goining in my pc if I connect to other...
  6. I keep getting an unable to connect to world on Minecraft (Xbox and Mobile)

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I keep getting an unable to connect to world on Minecraft (Xbox and Mobile): I've been trying to join a friend's multiplayer world on Minecraft and I keep getting the screen saying "Unable to connect to world." It started on my Xbox so I assumed the console was the issue...
  7. unable to connect to friends on multiplay for State of decay 2. keep getting 1005 or 1008...

in XBoX on Windows
    unable to connect to friends on multiplay for State of decay 2. keep getting 1005 or 1008...: Anyone have any reasons on why i cant connect? any help will be greatly apreciated 143a8027-345d-46bd-88a3-875274b21fa6
  8. Unable to connect to friends worlds on Minecraft Bedrock

in XBoX on Windows
    Unable to connect to friends worlds on Minecraft Bedrock: I cant join any of my friends worlds and they cant join mine either. I can still join servers as before but its not letting me play with my friends on multiplay. Please help....
  9. Unable to connect Turtle Beach stealth 600 2nd gen to xbox, can anyone please help?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Unable to connect Turtle Beach stealth 600 2nd gen to xbox, can anyone please help?: Bought 2nd hand, it works ok on my lap top but i can't seem to connect on the xbox. I've followed instructions, I'm using the usb connector, the blue lights are solid on both usb and console....
  10. Unable to connect to world on ps4 minecraft bedrock

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Unable to connect to world on ps4 minecraft bedrock: Me and my friends have been trying to join each other in minecraft bedrock I have been trying for weeks and nothing works does anyone have a idea that could help P.S they can join eachother but I...