Unable to use optical output on Xbox One X

Discus and support Unable to use optical output on Xbox One X in XBoX on Windows to solve the problem; I have an Xbox One X connected to a gaming monitor that has built in speakers (which are horrible). However, the monitor does NOT have any audio... Discussion in 'XBoX on Windows' started by TheArticWombat, Nov 25, 2021.

1. Unable to use optical output on Xbox One X

I have an Xbox One X connected to a gaming monitor that has built in speakers (which are horrible). However, the monitor does NOT have any audio outputs. I have a speaker setup that supports optical inputs.

My Xbox One X is running the latest version. When I go into Settings -> General -> Volume & Audio Outputs and try and set HDMI Audio to Off and Optical Output to anything (besides off) I get the following error:

Choose different settings

Xbox Series S and X HDMI audio cannot be turned off. On other consoles, either optical or HDMI audio must be on.

0x80bd0009

If you turn off HDMI and turn on optical (select "close" from the above error) and leave that screen and return the settings are reset.

This is an Xbox One X and this feature should work!

:)

TheArticWombat, Nov 25, 2021
  2. SwordofWhedon Win User

All outfits are active at the same time, simply turn your TV volume to zero
  3. Eletricdrum Win User

Hi, my name is Fernando and I am an independent consultant for Microsoft products.

Did you set the HDMI audio to "Off," and your Optical Audio to "Bitstream Out" ?

Check the following link with useful information:

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/help/hardware-ne...
  4. DeathFace Dad Win User

S/Pdif to RCA Audio Adapter for Xbox One

Xbox One has 2 outputs - one HDMI and one Optical Audio (s/pdif). HDMI carries both audio and video. But if you want to send your audio to a receiver that does not have HDMI inputs, then you can use the optical output from Xbox One. PS4 is exactly the
    same.

And William is right - if you try converting HDMI to DVI, you will lose the audio on both Xbox and PS4 (unless you are using the separate optical output for audio).
  5. Zacabeb Win User

Digital Audio and the Xbox 360E

Actually it seems they ditched the optical output on the Xbox 360E, relegating Dolby Digital to the HDMI output. I don't know why they did this given the remaining need for it and that they put an optical output on the Xbox One.
  6. fathom667 Win User

When will 5.1 via Optical Audio be available for Xbox One?

Is there any work in Progress to provide us the 5.1 Sound via optical Output on the xbox one?
Thema:

1. Unable to use optical output on Xbox One X - Similar Threads - Unable optical output

2. Every day between 3am and 6am Eastern time I am unable to use my XBOX ONE

in XBoX on Consoles
    Every day between 3am and 6am Eastern time I am unable to use my XBOX ONE: It seems between the hours of 3 am and 6 am (to be more precise, it's 4 am - 6 am during Daylight Saving Time, 3 am - 5 am when it is not) EST give or take I am unable to access the XBOX live...
  3. Forza Horizon 4 unable to join session

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Forza Horizon 4 unable to join session: I tried disable windows firewall and disable the windows defender the game still block me from join multiplayer 226c2722-b21d-45fe-89db-3b39d3199b0c
  4. Unable to sign in to Minecraft PS4 version on my PS5

in XBoX Accessibility
    Unable to sign in to Minecraft PS4 version on my PS5: I've been trying to troubleshoot this issue on my own with no success. I have Minecraft PS4 version and I linked my account on my PS4 and was able to play just fine. I recently got a PS5 and am...
  5. my account was hacked and my enail removed from account unable to recover how do i fix this?

in XBoX Accessibility
    my account was hacked and my enail removed from account unable to recover how do i fix this?: my account was hacked and email removed before i could change password now tring to log in says email account removed. how do i fix this iv had same email for many years and want it back...
  6. Unable to connect online to Halo 3?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Unable to connect online to Halo 3?: Hello, All available information is telling me that Halo 3 and other Xbox 360 Halo titles will have online functionality until January 13, 2022. However, every time I attempt to start an online...
  7. (PC) Attempt to install game results in game disappearing but unable to install because of...

in XBoX on Windows
    (PC) Attempt to install game results in game disappearing but unable to install because of...: Hello! I was trying to install a game (Forza 5) on Game Pass for Windows 10 and it kept disappearing and reappearing from my games list. After it had prepared space for the game I restarted my...
  8. Unable to activate Forza Horizon 2 digital code

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Unable to activate Forza Horizon 2 digital code: Before you respond: Yes, I know you can't buy the game anymore. This is an old unused code I found stashed away in my attic. So yeah, basically I have a FH2 code that I'd like to redeem on the PC...
  9. Unable to log in to play Halo: Infinite Muultiplayer Beta Via steam

in XBoX Accessibility
    Unable to log in to play Halo: Infinite Muultiplayer Beta Via steam: I downloaded Halo: Infinite but I cannot seem to log in to my Microsoft account. It shows a screen where it says 'There is a problem with your Microsoft Account, go to this particular website and...
  10. Unable to change optical output error code 0x80bd000a

in XBoX on Consoles
    Unable to change optical output error code 0x80bd000a: I changed my sound settings for the optical cable output to be stereo uncompressed to reduce latency for Rocksmith 2014. While attempting to change the output back to bitstream out for Dolby...