Updating a game causes me to have to reinstall the ENTIRE THING

Discus and support Updating a game causes me to have to reinstall the ENTIRE THING in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; When I update games I have to completely reinstall the game. I will preform an update and rather than just installing the update I have to reinstall... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by SoulessparadoX0, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Updating a game causes me to have to reinstall the ENTIRE THING

When I update games I have to completely reinstall the game. I will preform an update and rather than just installing the update I have to reinstall the game in its entirety. This is obviously time consuming and obnoxious for larger games. I have heard
    the problem involves having an external hard drive(which I do) and I want to understand why this is happening and hopefully resolve it.

:)

SoulessparadoX0, Aug 7, 2019
  2. TheNameIessKing Win User

I would recommend moving all your games to the external storage and factory resetting the Xbox sadly this could be the only way to fix the issue because I don't believe power cycling the Xbox will fix this issue but if you would like to try doing that
    hold down the power button for 10 seconds then when the system shut down unplug it from the wall for 2 minutes then plug it back in but I recommend what I said before in factory resetting the Xbox I know it's not the best answer but it should no matter what
    fix the issue unless the games that are reinstalling instead of updating correctly are on the external then I would recommend first reformatting the external storage which should fix the problem hopefully this helps
  3. Ricardo Cintra Win User

What Games you try Update?
  4. AssertiveGrub90 Win User

If the external hard drive is the possible cause then try and update something while the hard drive is disconnected.

It may be that your game is on the external hard drive but your default location for downloading games in your internal hard drive so when it goes to update it can't find the game as it isn't in the default location. If this is the case you would need to
    make sure that the games being updated are on the internal hard drive before updating.
  5. Jurgen1488 Win User

Updates Are Reinstalling Entire Games

It happens quite often if there is an update that is already in progress and you cancel it, as if you uninstall the game and it is uninstalled, I do not know why it is. It has already happened to me once. Watch that.
  6. zl DiviNe lz Win User

Updates Are Reinstalling Entire Games

Xbox only reinstalls the game during an upgrade if it is canceled.
Thema:

1. Updating a game causes me to have to reinstall the ENTIRE THING - Similar Threads - Updating game causes

2. Game update caused my console to completely crash and now won't start.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Game update caused my console to completely crash and now won't start.: Hi, I recently updated my 'PlayerUnknowns Battlegrounds' game to the most current update, a few games in I died after coming across an unrendered player (I could only see his guns). After this...
  3. Preview Program Updates Cause Console to not recognize my ownership of digital games

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Preview Program Updates Cause Console to not recognize my ownership of digital games: I already contacted customer support and was with them for about an hour. Eventually got told they'll contact me in 24 - 72 hours with an update on my issue. Last time this happened (roughly 2...
  4. Updates cause me to install full game?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Updates cause me to install full game?: every time I update a game it causes me to install the full game again, what can I do? b4c0f718-9613-4840-b605-4b16b3820e58
  5. Creator update causing game studdering

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Creator update causing game studdering: I recently received the creator update on my game machine. Since then games are shuddering horribly and FPS is very inconsistent. Nvidia GTX1070 Intel i7 4790 Looks like I'm not the only one...
  6. 1706 update causing game to not work

in XBoX Games and Apps
    1706 update causing game to not work: ever since my console updated, game now says installation is not complete and won't work 5d09cf45-99f8-47c7-ae2c-c5b9f1e636ad
  7. canceling update causes game to uninstall

in XBoX on Consoles
    canceling update causes game to uninstall: so I was alerted that DOOM needed and update to be able to play online so I thought “no big deal” so I click to start downloading the update, however the update was around 50-60GB which my...
  8. Latest Xbox One Update cause more game crash

in XBoX on Consoles
    Latest Xbox One Update cause more game crash: Legit I dont know what to do. I contacted my internet provider he said it was fine, contacted xbox support if there is something wrong with the xbox she said it was fine. Ever since this update...
  9. Xbox one update erased game add ons and causes random switch of downloading files

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox one update erased game add ons and causes random switch of downloading files: since the last Xbox one system update, all my add ons for ffxv mysteriously deleted when I went to play ffxv the next day. Also the new system update changes how the games download, so every so...
  10. Game chat issue caused by update?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Game chat issue caused by update?: Hi All, Wen using my headset in regular game chat, it doesn't seem to work at all. My screen name has the mic icon, and I can see other players mic icons flashing when they talk but I hear no...