Using an External HDD

Discus and support Using an External HDD in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; can we use xbox 360's external hdd to save other kind of files?, not only the games? 568100f0-54c9-4bc4-98df-664cd932d18c Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by AvoidedOhio47, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Using an External HDD

can we use xbox 360's external hdd to save other kind of files?, not only the games?

:)

AvoidedOhio47, Sep 1, 2014
  2. Talax Lives
    Talax Lives Guest
    Using an External HDD

besides "active", you can also mark a partition hidden, but again I don't think Windows itself has this ability, it's usually third party partition programs that can do that.

One of them is made by Paragon.

www.partition-manager.com

The problem is I have no idea whether it would work.

Talax Lives, Sep 1, 2014
  3. HyPeR O9
    HyPeR O9 Guest
    Using an External HDD

It'd be much more expensive, though, when I already have these things to hand. The xbox did seem to "see" the first partition of the two I made (It ignored the other one completely). There's got to be some logic behind it.

I tried making one of them the "active" one and wondered if I could switch it around but that didn't work. To be honest, though, it's just a convenience thing. I can always transfer 16 gig of data over and then transfer the last ~3 over. It'd just take more
    time.

HyPeR O9, Sep 1, 2014
  4. Using an External HDD

Hey there, you can use it to store music and videos from the marketplace too, but you can't transfer content on there from your PC if that's what you're asking.

DigitalAssassin, Sep 3, 2014
  5. EddieHendrickson Win User

External HDD

Yes External HDD support is available. The External HDD must be at least 256GB in size and use USB 3.0. Keep in mind that the External HDD will have to be formatted for use with the Xbox One console.
  6. DigitalAssassin Win User

Using an External HDD

Hey there, you can use it to store music and videos from the marketplace too, but you can't transfer content on there from your PC if that's what you're asking.
  7. IceStorm III Win User

Using an External HDD

[quote user="HyPeR O9"]I'm trying to prepare for my new xbox 360 arriving on the 20th and I'm thinking of ways to transfer around 20gig of data on my existing xbox 360 to my new xbox 360.

I know there exists the official data cable but I don't really want to fork out any money.[/quote]What? You're spending $400 USD on a GOW3 console and don't want to spend another $15-$20 to use an authorized method of moving HDD DLC?

20GB and you don't want to re-download it from XBL? You do realize the License Transfer system will push the download queue to your new console for you, correct?

You realize the cable isn't single-use, correct?

You realize discussing how to move data using unapproved methods is against the forum Code of Conduct, correct?
  8. Talax Lives Win User

Using an External HDD

removing the drive letter is not the same thing as marking it as hidden, but in any case, it's not worth the trouble.

I did find a windows solution that is built in, however:

Windows comes with a command line utility called DISKPART that can mark things as hidden, however it's very easy to *** something up using it, so I don't recommend trying it.
  9. HyPeR O9 Win User

Using an External HDD

Windows does have the ability. I tried it after you gave me the idea. Removed the driver letter and Windows couldn't see it but the pesky xbox did find it.

I've made one 16gb partition now and it'll have to do. Thanks for the help though!
Thema:

Using an External HDD

1. Using an External HDD - Similar Threads - Using External HDD

2. Slim 360 and Broken 360: using external HDD as a 32gb hard drive

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Slim 360 and Broken 360: using external HDD as a 32gb hard drive: So i have a slim 250 gb 360 and a broken (disk tray) old 360. I want to trade in my slim and keep the old because the only game i really want to play is Tales of Vesperia which i have from games...
  3. External hdd space used up when I plugged it into xbox1x?

in XBoX on Consoles
    External hdd space used up when I plugged it into xbox1x?: has anyone came across this with their new Xbox one x? My ext hdd had over 200gb free space on my Xbox one s and when I plugged it into the one x all the space on the ext hdd was completely used...
  4. [Guide] How to increase your game storage size using an external HDD.

in XBoX on Consoles
    [Guide] How to increase your game storage size using an external HDD.: You can easily increase the storage capacity of your Xbox One by add an external Hard Disk Drive (HDD), but there are a few caveats you need to be aware of. 1 - the External HDD need to be USB 3,...
  5. How to delete everything off a internal hdd for external use on the xbox one.

in XBoX on Consoles
    How to delete everything off a internal hdd for external use on the xbox one.: Hello everyone i need help with my internal hdd. My old xbox one broke my nephews broke it so i wanted to get the internal hard drive to see if i could use it on my next xbox one I just bought as...
  6. External hdd keeps disconnecting. Then says ready to use

in XBoX on Consoles
    External hdd keeps disconnecting. Then says ready to use: Still having this issue which xbox have done nothing about. Ill be happily playing a game off the external hdd and then it'll reload the start screen and say drive now ready to use.. great. Tried...
  7. External HDD Use with 360 S

in XBoX on Consoles
    External HDD Use with 360 S: Hi all, hope someone can help me. 1) My 360 S had a 500gb internal HDD, can I connect a 2TB external HDD & utilize all the storage space across both devices or does the external HDD "take the...
  8. Reformatting x1 external HDD for 360 use

in XBoX on Consoles
    Reformatting x1 external HDD for 360 use: I want to reformat one of my xbox one external hard drives so I can use it on my xbox 360 Is this possible? I don't want to go messing about then rendering the drive unusable...
  9. Using external HDD for Xbox One and 360

in XBoX on Consoles
    Using external HDD for Xbox One and 360: I just want to know if you're able to use one external HDD on both consoles. I wanted to store my games from both console on one HDD. 7f042450-aae6-4511-a003-6e0d8a6bde07
  10. Can you partition an external HDD to use with Xbox One?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can you partition an external HDD to use with Xbox One?: I have an external HDD I use with my PC. I know that when you hook up external storage to your X1, you need to setup the drive first, which involves formatting it. Since I already have files I...