Using External Hard Drive for Capture Location

Discus and support Using External Hard Drive for Capture Location in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I have been trying to hook up an external hard drive to use as a capture location for clips. I plugged my hard drive into a computer and formatted it... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Ethan04, Nov 18, 2021.

1. Ethan04
    Ethan04 Guest

I have been trying to hook up an external hard drive to use as a capture location for clips. I plugged my hard drive into a computer and formatted it to NTFS like it say to do, but when I plug it back into the console and it pops up, I try to set it as my capture location and it tells me it needs to be formatted as an NTFS. I tried doing a quick format and the long format that took a few hours but my Xbox still isn’t recognizing it as a NTFS.

:)

Ethan04, Nov 18, 2021
  2. SamQY Win User

Good to know, mate. I will save this to help other people. Thanks for the info.
  3. Ethan04 Win User

I found the solution. Credit goes to PCaddict365. This is his post below

Hi,

I had the same issue where my xbox one x asked if i wanted my 5tb drive to be used as media storage or storage for games and apps. I chose media but then it kept saying to format the drive on pc as NTFS, which i did but it still didnt work on the xbox for game captures. Good news is i found out how to solve the problem.

What happens is the drive has 2 partitions on it so you need to go on your pc and go to disk management then select your hard drive and remove the "efi partition" from your external hard drive, be sure you select the right drive! After that you will need to right click in disk management on your external drive and change it to gpt from mbr if its bigger than 2tb. Just google if you need to know how. Then click on the drive in disk management again and create a new simple volume to get the drive working again. Format it on the pc and then plug it back into the xbox one x and when asked what to use it for choose Media. You should now be able to select the drive as a capture location! Hopefully this helps and i will try to post a tutorial on youtube to show what to do. It will be under my channel "PCaddict365". Best of luck and have fun gaming!
  4. Ethan04 Win User

To remove the EFI Partition this is the website I used to walk through it that I found helpful.

https://appuals.com/fix-cannot-delete-a-protected-partition-without-the-force-protected-parameter-set/
  5. Ethan04 Win User

I tried what you suggested and when prompted I was only able to select use for media or format to Xbox. I know I don’t want to format it to Xbox because then it won’t work for captures. So would I choose the media option or am I missing an option.
  6. SamQY Win User

I'm Samy an independent advisor. Welcome to the Xbox community. How are you?

Follow this path, select ''full shutdown'', remove the power cord and external hard drive from the console for 1 minute. Turn on the console, connect the external hard drive and select the type for captures when prompted.

Press the Xbox button  to open the guide.

Select Profile & system > Settings > General > Power mode & startup.
Thema:

1. Using External Hard Drive for Capture Location - Similar Threads - Using External Hard

2. Can you use external hard drives on xbox series s

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can you use external hard drives on xbox series s: I'm wondering if you can use a external hard drive on an xbox series s instead of buying a card 09956e72-1bce-40bc-a5b1-745313be539f
  3. error 0x8007001f. trying to play game pass games in my mac using windows on a external hard...

in XBoX on Windows
    error 0x8007001f. trying to play game pass games in my mac using windows on a external hard...: I have a Windows 10 Pro installed on separate hard drive on my iMac 27-inch 2019. There is a persistent problem with Xbox app / Windows Store - whenever I try to install a game with "Administrator...
  4. Can an external hard drive be used for an Xbox 360?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can an external hard drive be used for an Xbox 360?: We have a 4GB 360 need more space I have a Western digital external empty but it is 1.5 TB, I also have a 3 TB fb63a960-1686-4aed-87da-728427423035
  5. Xbox One S SSD External Hard Drive - not being able to even use it.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox One S SSD External Hard Drive - not being able to even use it.: So I have a Seagate 1TB external hard drive. It worked for about a month after I got it, but suddenly I couldn't access it, blocking me from playing all of the games I had on it. I had to move...
  6. Xbox One system freezing after using external hard drive.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox One system freezing after using external hard drive.: Please excuse my awful grammar. So I’ve been using a seagate 2tb external hard drive since around December of 2017 and around February of 2019 my Xbox would experience errors saying “there’s a...
  7. External Hard Drive not booting up when used with Instant On standby mode.

in XboX Insiders
    External Hard Drive not booting up when used with Instant On standby mode.: Not sure if this is linked to the Preview Program or not but I thought I'd start here first. Recently my Xbox has not been booting up the external hard drive when I turn it on from standby mode...
  8. Using an external hard drive with an xbox one S

in XBoX on Consoles
    Using an external hard drive with an xbox one S: I've used up almost all of my 1 TB capacity on my xbox one s, so I was thinking of getting an external hard drive. I've never used one before, so I have a few questions. First, should I...
  9. how to use external hard drive on my xbox one x..

in XBoX on Consoles
    how to use external hard drive on my xbox one x..: Hello guys, I want to record my gameplay up to 1 hour. In order to do that I have to formate my drive to NTFS. I did that only my iMac. now I am trying to set the drive as the capture location....
  10. Recording gameplay AND voice through Xbox One's DVR using external hard drive

in XBoX on Consoles
    Recording gameplay AND voice through Xbox One's DVR using external hard drive: I have set up an external hard drive on the Xbox One itself to capture 1 hour video clips and I was curious how to capture your own mic. I know you can record your mic through a recording on your...