What happens to captures when you connect an external drive?

Discus and support What happens to captures when you connect an external drive? in XboX Insiders to solve the problem; Was thinking about using an HDD for captures, do the ones on the console get deleted, moved to the external or just nothing happens? Also it's still... Discussion in 'XboX Insiders' started by /u/Nemesis96, Nov 26, 2020.

1. /u/Nemesis96
    /u/Nemesis96 Guest

Was thinking about using an HDD for captures, do the ones on the console get deleted, moved to the external or just nothing happens?

Also it's still not possible to copy them to a USB is it?

submitted by /u/Nemesis96
    [link] [comments]

/u/Nemesis96, Nov 26, 2020
  2. XBF Diego M Win User

Xbox App Game DVR

Hey there!

When you started capturing your clips did you start capturing them in the external HD, or did you save them to the default file drive which is C:\users\%username%\Videos\Captures?

I would suggest trying to capture a new game clip without your external HD plugged in to see what it says when it asks you where you want to save the clips.

Also what do you see when you open up your captures folder from the Game Bar?

To see where your captures are saved, open Game bar and select the My captures folder, or press the
    Start button, choose Settings > Gaming >
    Captures. Press the Open folder button to see your captures in File Explorer.

By default, game clips and screenshots are saved in your Videos folder (named
    Captures). The Captures folder can be moved to different places on your PC.

There should also be a help link when you select Captures that says "How to save to a different folder".

Try that out and let us know what happens.
  3. tohellnbak Win User

how to manually use the game recorder on the xbox one?

External capturing is a different beast Smiles. both have their pros and cons. Sure external, you get 100% control of everything you do. Internal is limited to what MS gives us.. but can your external post what you capture directly to your XBL feed?

:)
  4. Frathos Win User

Xbox had system update last night now it's not recognizing external hard drive

What are you using the external HDD for (Games & Apps or External Captures)? Are you in the Dashboard Preview program?

If External Captures and yes to Dashboard Preview then please use the report feature of the Xbox Insider app to let them know about your issue. My console is in Preview Alpha and I noticed that the last update seems to have affected how it sees my External
    Capture HDD.

If your console isn't in Dashboard Preview then try connecting your HDD to a computer to see if it's recognized there. It may be a coincidence however unfortunately HDD'S do die eventually.
  5. Gravewalker909 Win User

Recording 4k game footage gets cut off now at random points (Xbox One X)

You mean setting the game capture location? I have it set to what I have always used, the external hard drive. Again like I said before, I never had any issues recording things. This happens with every game now. I've been recording several games lately,
    RDR 2 online, Jurassic World Evolution, and a few others and it seems to happen no matter what. I'm using a WD easystore external hard drive as the game capture location. I even bought this new external because things weren't working.
  6. Dratsablive Win User

XBOX Game Video DVR

Hi there , thanks for reaching out.

Are you enrolled in the Insider Preview program? Also, does this issue you're experiencing occur with clips of any duration and are you only seeing it happen when your external is selected as the default location for these clips
    to be saved to? Does this happen with clips featuring gameplay from any game or just one particular game?

When on your Xbox One console when you go to Settings>Preferences>Broadcast & capture, do you have Broadcast set to "Allow broadcasts and game captures"? Also, you can alter your capture location via that settings menu?
    I am on the insider preview program. This happens with any length of video selected whether or not an external drive is selected. The only capture that works if I select "Up to One Hour" at the beginning, then ending the recording after any length of time.
Thema:

1. What happens to captures when you connect an external drive? - Similar Threads - happens captures connect

2. What happened to Marble Blast Ultra? & if it’s gone can I get my money back?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    What happened to Marble Blast Ultra? & if it’s gone can I get my money back?: I was trying to play marble blast ultra, one of my favorites of the classics, and i cant play it anymore. I owned the game. So i was wondering if i could get my money back or credits for it. ?...
  3. 0x80070005 install ERROR on Game Pass for PC "Something unexpected happened"?

in XBoX on Windows
    0x80070005 install ERROR on Game Pass for PC "Something unexpected happened"?: Hi all. Getting this error 0x80070005 on game pass- but only for certain games (this error is installing Injustice 2, but also some other games). The error "Something unexpected happened"...
  4. Warzone win crash, still happening

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Warzone win crash, still happening: This same **** has been happening for almost a year now. I played seven games tonight and won two. I glitched and froze, for zero credit for win and had to restart. Fix your ****......
  5. What happens to Xbox live gold when upgrading to game pass ultimate?

in XBoX on Consoles
    What happens to Xbox live gold when upgrading to game pass ultimate?: The official site says there is a “conversion ratio”, and there’s a 3:1 ratio chart for adding gold onto ultimate, but almost everyone I’ve talked to says it is 1:1 when upgrading to ultimate from...
  6. Why do updates just randomly happen when on Xbox?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why do updates just randomly happen when on Xbox?: An ongoing issue that has never been fixed, due to Microsoft being so incompetent its a joke... Why do console updates just randomly happen to people at random, usually when in the middle of a...
  7. Anyone know how to fix this glitch on series X? Only happens on streaming services not...

in XboX Insiders
    Anyone know how to fix this glitch on series X? Only happens on streaming services not...: [IMG] submitted by /u/HeirToS0lar [link] [comments]
  8. connecting problem it has happened alot

in XboX Insiders
    connecting problem it has happened alot: there is a connecting problem on xbox were we can here them but thre connecting on xbox one submitted by /u/the0_ckh [link] [comments]
  9. What happened to my Gamerscore?

in XBoX on Consoles
    What happened to my Gamerscore?: On December 28 i got my Gamescore to 444444 points. Now, today I realized my score has been reduced by over 30K. I have rebooted my Xbox, but I suspect this is a server side problem since my score...
  10. My Captures Aren't Uploading To Xbox Live, Been Happening For A Week, Please Help

in XBoX on Consoles
    My Captures Aren't Uploading To Xbox Live, Been Happening For A Week, Please Help: alright so i'll cut to the chase, I've been having trouble with my Xbox One, every time i want to share say a stylish moment from Devil May Cry 5 the picture and or clip will say that it has been...