What is “Latency” and what should it be at?

Discus and support What is “Latency” and what should it be at? in XboX Networking Hardware to solve the problem; What is “Latency” and what should it be at? A simple search found this article... What is latency in online video games? Latency, measured as ping,... Discussion in 'XboX Networking Hardware' started by V1PERone, Aug 20, 2019.

1. V1PERone
    V1PERone Guest

A simple search found this article...

What is latency in online video games? Latency, measured as ping, refers to the average total time that it takes your gaming device to send data to the game server, and back to your device. Latency
    is measured in milliseconds (ms) so if your ping is100ms then it takes 100 milliseconds for your computer to respond to a request from the game server.

Why is Latency Relevant to Gameplay?
    Low latency or ping is desirable to achieve smoother gameplay and a user experience without lagging. If the ping is around 1000ms or higher, it’s definitely going to result in players suddenly
    appearing or disappearing and overall gameplay running incredibly slow. Additionally, games where timing is crucial, like FPS and racing
    games
    , suffer a greatly diminished experience with high latency. In short, time lags from high latency make gaming far less enjoyable.

How to Achieve Low Latency
    Contrary to popular belief, a fast and responsive Internet connection with fast upload and download speeds isn’t all there is to keeping latency low. You can have a pretty fast connection and even an incredibly
    fast custom PC designed especially for online gaming but still face horrendous ping values.

So first, you need to run a speed test. Some games will show your ping speed alongside other players but for those that don’t, you definitely
    need to run a speed test first. A ping value of 20ms or less means you have an excellent latency rate. A rate from 20 to 100ms will still equal enjoyable gameplay, but not give you maximum performance for games where timing is everything.
    A slower but still workable ping is 100-150ms but anything over 150ms is definitely going to result in a noticeable lag causing a lot of frustration.

Then you need to rule out ISP issues. You need a stable Internet connection above 2Mbps for the best performance in online gaming and a wired connection is imperative. Wireless routers and devices may be fine
    for routine Internet use but they don’t provide the stability that a perpetually-connected online game requires. If you’re connecting via wire and operating at 2Mbps or greater, first try resetting your modem or router and see if that fixes the lags. Failing
    that, contact your ISP to find out if you’re having signal troubles or if this is a widespread issue in your area at the moment.

:)

V1PERone, Aug 20, 2019
  2. Ima Pseudonym Win User

Things which can affect your latency...

Wired networking versus wireless (wired is faster)

Type of connection to your ISP

Wireless interference from other devices

Misconfigued networking equipment.
  3. Gimpy_P Win User

"the delay before a transfer of data begins following an instruction for its transfer.

"poor performance due to network latency" · "subscribers can expect some latency time when issuing a request" · "there are several ways to minimize rotational latencies""

The lower the better, if I get above .40 consistently I start to look for why.. anything near or above 100 is right out.
  4. tejo chase Win User

A simple search found this article...

What is latency in online video games? Latency, measured as ping, refers to the average total time that it takes your gaming device to send data to the game server, and back to your device. Latency
    is measured in milliseconds (ms) so if your ping is100ms then it takes 100 milliseconds for your computer to respond to a request from the game server.

Why is Latency Relevant to Gameplay?
    Low latency or ping is desirable to achieve smoother gameplay and a user experience without lagging. If the ping is around 1000ms or higher, it’s definitely going to result in players suddenly
    appearing or disappearing and overall gameplay running incredibly slow. Additionally, games where timing is crucial, like FPS and racing
    games
    , suffer a greatly diminished experience with high latency. In short, time lags from high latency make gaming far less enjoyable.

How to Achieve Low Latency
    Contrary to popular belief, a fast and responsive Internet connection with fast upload and download speeds isn’t all there is to keeping latency low. You can have a pretty fast connection and even an incredibly
    fast custom PC designed especially for online gaming but still face horrendous ping values.

So first, you need to run a speed test. Some games will show your ping speed alongside other players but for those that don’t, you definitely
    need to run a speed test first. A ping value of 20ms or less means you have an excellent latency rate. A rate from 20 to 100ms will still equal enjoyable gameplay, but not give you maximum performance for games where timing is everything.
    A slower but still workable ping is 100-150ms but anything over 150ms is definitely going to result in a noticeable lag causing a lot of frustration.

Then you need to rule out ISP issues. You need a stable Internet connection above 2Mbps for the best performance in online gaming and a wired connection is imperative. Wireless routers and devices may be fine
    for routine Internet use but they don’t provide the stability that a perpetually-connected online game requires. If you’re connecting via wire and operating at 2Mbps or greater, first try resetting your modem or router and see if that fixes the lags. Failing
    that, contact your ISP to find out if you’re having signal troubles or if this is a widespread issue in your area at the moment.
  5. ThisGameIsSucky Win User

6. NeoDan123 Win User

If the server you are playing on is far from you it will influence your ping aswell.

In my country if you have a ping of 150 you have a great connection to the servers, as we do not have servers in our country yet.

Average ping is 180 - 200. Anything higher is really bad.
Thema:

1. What is “Latency” and what should it be at? - Similar Threads - “Latency” should

2. Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) & Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM) Bug

in XboX Insiders
    Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) & Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM) Bug: The below are not my words. They are someone elses writeup of a test they did. I am also having the same issue. Can we get someone on the Xbox Team to open a support ticket to the engineering team...
  3. Broken "auto low-latency mode"

in XboX Insiders
    Broken "auto low-latency mode": I'm not sure if it's The Insider build or the recent update to my TCL Roku TV that caused this. But Auto low latency mode is no longer selectable in my Xbox settings. I went to play Rock Band this...
  4. Latency Issue

in XboX Networking Hardware
    Latency Issue: Latency Issue Thanks for the reply! Yes that does make sence however my friend lives 50 miles away from me and his results doing the same test are download 60mbps, upload 17 mbps and his latency...
  5. HDR/Low Latency bug?

in XboX Insiders
    HDR/Low Latency bug?: I'm on the latest Insider software (Xbox One X), and I was wondering if there are any know HDR/Low Latency ('Game Mode') bugs? Why I'm asking: for a couple of weeks now my Xbox has been acting up...
  6. In game latency is bad but internet is good?

in XBoX on Consoles
    In game latency is bad but internet is good?: My internet is great and when I do the multiplayer connection test it says perfect, but in multiplayer games, my latency is though the roof. Has anyone else had this and knows what to do?...
  7. Xbox one latency is to high 77

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox one latency is to high 77: [img] Why is it that my xbox one s latency is 77??? Back on the xbox 360 days my ping would be no higher than 12ms. Thats back when i have fios. Now i have Xfinity and i have had them come out a...
  8. : How can I improve my latency?

in XboX Networking Hardware
    : How can I improve my latency?: : How can I improve my latency? He said he bought a wifi package which to me means it could be cellular based similar to a hotspot which is not recommended for gaming....
  9. Why is my latency so high whilst streaming to my PC on the Xbox App?

in XBoX on Windows
    Why is my latency so high whilst streaming to my PC on the Xbox App?: Here's a screenshot of what I mean! https://gyazo.com/83b06cbeac917796bd90dc8fdb68e894 My internet is 90 up and 90 down, my hardware is definitely good enough, so any ideas why this is the case?...
  10. Xbox One x high latency

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox One x high latency: Ok my sepup Xbox one x Wired NBN connection cat 6 cables Net 90 down 30 up Open Nat created static assigned reccomended ports have been forwarded Running a detailed network test on my...