: What is max download speed on Xbox?

Discus and support : What is max download speed on Xbox? in XboX Networking Hardware to solve the problem; : What is max download speed on Xbox? Could be throttling due to covid, but then my ISP hasn't throttled as steam downloads full speed. Which begs... Discussion in 'XboX Networking Hardware' started by ModernEpic13, Jul 31, 2021.

1. ModernEpic13
    ModernEpic13 Guest

Whilst a direct comparison with Steam would seem right, don't forget about Microsoft's other non-gaming services...given the surge in demand on Microsoft products (not just Windows but things like Teams etc), it would make sense that they would limit bandwidth in some areas to cater for others...whilst gaming is important, having high speed downloads isn't as important as having the bandwidth for office virtual meetings etc.

Could be wrong but that is what seems to make sense to me...then again, I didn't have a console before the pandemic so no clue what speeds were like then....and my line doesn't get near 100 anyway (think it's currently around 70 and doesn't get throttled)

:)

ModernEpic13, Jul 31, 2021
  2. WPAK Win User

Why does installing. Gta take 72 hours

Hi there,

the download speed is usually determined by your own internet connection. If you want to know the details for that you may have to contact your ISP and verify that with what your console (or PC) is measuring.

Also try to see if there is a difference between using a cable or wifi.

Depending on the max download speed it will take a certain time. If your download speed is like max 10mbps and a game is like 60GB then download at a max 4.5GB per hour which means it will take over 13 hours.

If your download speed is 2mbps download time will be over 68 hours.
  3. Nursemorph Win User

Could be throttling due to covid, but then my ISP hasn't throttled as steam downloads full speed. Which begs another question, why does Microsoft throttle the download speeds when Steam has around 30 million more monthly users than Xbox does? If anything I'd have thought MS would have had the technology to keep up with demand more than Steam could.
    Whilst a direct comparison with Steam would seem right, don't forget about Microsoft's other non-gaming services...given the surge in demand on Microsoft products (not just Windows but things like Teams etc), it would make sense that they would limit bandwidth in some areas to cater for others...whilst gaming is important, having high speed downloads isn't as important as having the bandwidth for office virtual meetings etc.

Could be wrong but that is what seems to make sense to me...then again, I didn't have a console before the pandemic so no clue what speeds were like then....and my line doesn't get near 100 anyway (think it's currently around 70 and doesn't get throttled)
  4. ModernEpic13 Win User

What is max download speed on Xbox?

Well that's precisely my point. I had 80mb Internet before for £10 a month and downloads were solid 80mb, now paying £60 for gig Internet and get 20mb more download. Really feel like max download should be documented or advertised somewhere for this exact reason. Especially with new consoles having such pathetic hard drive space, people rely on downloads alot more now
  5. Jesse EF. Win User

Hello ModernEpic, My name is Jesse. I'm an Independent Advisor and a member of the Microsoft community and I'd love to assist you today.

The thing is the servers need to reserve bandwidth for other users, so they throttle usage. Also the rates you are seeing are around 100MB/S, which may be maxing the write speed of the hard drive. I'm not sure the true max write speed for the included drive, but in practice I wouldn't expect it to be more than 100 - 200MB/S. So all in all, anything around 100MB/S is quite solid.

Hope this helps.

Jesse.
  6. Nursemorph Win User

Well that's precisely my point. I had 80mb Internet before for £10 a month and downloads were solid 80mb, now paying £60 for gig Internet and get 20mb more download. Really feel like max download should be documented or advertised somewhere for this exact reason. Especially with new consoles having such pathetic hard drive space, people rely on downloads alot more now
    Ah, apologies...my brain decided that reading your entire first post was unecessary!! I missed the part about majority of your downloads being 100....yeah, I wouldn't be happy with that either if in your place
Thema:

1. : What is max download speed on Xbox? - Similar Threads - max download speed

2. Max Payne 3 - impossible to download part 2 of the game in digital version.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Max Payne 3 - impossible to download part 2 of the game in digital version.: After rockstar disables their max payne 3 servers for xbox360, it is not possible to download part 2 of the game in its digital version. In physical media the game comes with 2 cds, and in digital...
  3. Xbox App Slow Downloads - Locked at 5 MB/S max.

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox App Slow Downloads - Locked at 5 MB/S max.: Hi, I know this has been posted here before, but again the speeds on the xbox app on pc are super slow. I have a 200 MB/S hard lined connection for the internet but the app maxes out at 5 MB/S....
  4. Max payne 2 on Xbox 360: Corrupted Download

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Max payne 2 on Xbox 360: Corrupted Download: I wanted to re-download Max payne 2 I bought a while back, but every time I try, the game downloads all the way, taking up space, but the xbox states it cannot download the game, and the download...
  5. max payne 3 missing downloadable content required

in XBoX Games and Apps
    max payne 3 missing downloadable content required: missing downloadable content required for Max Payne 3 and no DLC in the main menu marketplace . where to get it ? 75215c95-7e17-412e-8297-a519a8ebdcaf
  6. Problem downloading Max The Curse of Brotherhood to Xbox 360 console

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Problem downloading Max The Curse of Brotherhood to Xbox 360 console: I bought my son an Xbox Live Starter Pack which included codes for XBox Live Gold 12 month membership, a £5 credit and a game: Max The Curse of the Brotherhood. The game rating is 12 and my son is...
  7. Max number of PC can download anywhere games

in XBoX on Consoles
    Max number of PC can download anywhere games: Hi, I bought a digital copy of Gear of War 4 Xbox one + PC. I got 1 code for both platforms. I am wondering how may times/ how may PCs I can download the game for? I have a desktop and a...
  8. Xbox one s max download speed?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox one s max download speed?: does anyone know the max download speed for the Xbox one s b4409cc6-e964-4810-8c12-592e9c56962b
  9. Xbox one max download speed caps at 50Mbps

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox one max download speed caps at 50Mbps: i am trying to figure out why my Xbox one isn't using most of my download speed. Speedtest (not my ISP theoretical) says I'm getting 380 on desktop and iPhone is getting 368Mbps. Xbox one has open...
  10. Any idea what Xbox's download speeds are maxed at? Getting slow speeds.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Any idea what Xbox's download speeds are maxed at? Getting slow speeds.: So I'm trying to download my Halo: MCC early. It's 59.11 Gigs. I have a download speed of 125 Mbps (Megabits) down (from speed test from a PC that's on the same switch as my xbox. That means it...