Why do I get game updates as large as the game?

Discus and support Why do I get game updates as large as the game? in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; So I think this started like a year ago, this usually only happens with Apex Legends, it seems to only happen whenever the game updates, like today it... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by TheNinthWolf, Apr 14, 2021.

1. TheNinthWolf
    TheNinthWolf Guest

So I think this started like a year ago, this usually only happens with Apex Legends, it seems to only happen whenever the game updates, like today it gave me a notification that I needed to do a 128 mb update, then it wasn't updating so I restarted my Xbox and when I looked, it was a 64 gb update. I had the exact same 64 gb update a few days ago.

This also happened with Grand Theft Auto 5 with a 76 gb update.

I'm pretty sure it's not because of the game or publisher, because GTA and Apex Legends have different publishers.

:)

TheNinthWolf, Apr 14, 2021
  2. Luuca Brasi Win User

game updates so large why ?

13 gb for dead rising 3 is ridiculous what could possibly need fixed that it warrants a 13 GB update thats larger then 2 old gen games just for a update . I just bought Thief the other day and i pop it in and the update is 6 GB which is pretty laege an i
    know once i download that a couple days later there is another 4 GB update. Im okay with these one even 2 gb updates my internet can handle that but bothing over that really. Please dont say get another internet provider if i did that i would have to move
    to a new house some ISP is currently installing fiber outdide by the highway but it is goin to take quite a while to finalize so i dont have other internet options. I just dont see how a large update on 360 is about 50 MB for a 5000MB game thats 1/100 of the
    game size on xbox one there 13 GB for a 25 GB gmae thats over hal the orginal size
  3. Simply me1966 Win User

No BusGod, Chis is right, these large updates shouldn't be accepted by us the final end-users but also by XBox one. After all it is thier name that is taking the brunt of the backlash. I think Microsoft should tell the publishers and developers that they
    won't accept this anymore. It is soiling thier reputation, making them look bad.

Another problem with these large updates is the actual space they take up on the hard drive. Sure the hard drive looks big now but wait several years from now.... Think back when Xbox came out with the first 360, seemed them like the hard drive was build
    to have space for a lifetime. Yet several years later we all started buying hard drive that were more then 5 times bigger. This issue shouldn't be left to the end user. Microsoft need to get involved. for thier own sake.
  4. CMUchippewa Win User

Chris15827, I totally agree with you...when we buy games they should be complete and free of bugs. But today's games are so much more than what they used to be, so bugs are more and more common. Especially now, I feel some devs rely on post-release updates
    to fix problems and rush games out.

But on the other side, people get really cranky when games don't come out soon enough. I mean, when games get delayed, people go crazy and complain...then they complain that the game should have been in development longer because it has bugs. Illogical,
    I know....
  5. DarkishDragon Win User

Totally agree with Chris and simply me, these game updates are becoming a joke ! I hadn't been on my xbox for a week but last night thought I would have a quick go at COD ghosts online but NO an update is required so ok I'll have ago at Forza NO an update
    is required I then go for Dead Rising but again NO an update is required to sum I tried every game I had and they all needed updating !

COD - 2gb

Dead Rising - 13 gb !!!!!! ( thats crazy 13 gb ! the whole game install is 25gb what is that broke that the update has to be this big)

Forza - 3gb

Battlefield - 3gb

I mean gone are the days where you can just put a game in your console and play. Dead rising 13gb if all games start doing updates like this we're all run out of hard drive space before we know it.

I really believe Microsoft and the game developers really need to come together and have a look at the size of these updates and help improve them some how or at least make sure these games are not rushed out so to limit the amount of updates required to
    fix problems with the games.
  6. Malacath Win User

Also updates overwrite files already on the hard drive so shouldn't take much more space on your hard drive if any.
Thema:

1. Why do I get game updates as large as the game? - Similar Threads - Why game updates

2. Why hasn’t Microsoft made it so you can CANCEL a update without deleting your game?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why hasn’t Microsoft made it so you can CANCEL a update without deleting your game?: This has been an issue for years, your update bugs out and you can’t cancel it so your only option is to uninstall your game. Literally nothing else is like that, if my phone update bugs out i...
  3. Why is my XBox automatically quitting active game to begin update even with these options...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why is my XBox automatically quitting active game to begin update even with these options...: Several times my XBox has quit Fifa 21 mid game to begin an automatic system update even though I have these settings turned off in the system options. It's caused me DNF penalties in the game...
  4. Why does Series S force close a paused/minimized game session when there's an update for it?

in XBoX Accessibility
    Why does Series S force close a paused/minimized game session when there's an update for it?: I get no chance to get into the game and make sure I saved, it just force closes it and tells me there's an update. This is an awful user experience coming from other consoles. I have "Keep my...
  5. Canceled updates uninstalled games why?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Canceled updates uninstalled games why?: So i canceled a couple of updates for BFV and warzone and the system uninstalled both games. Its fricken stupid as hell. It took me 3 weeks to install both the first time. I think microsoft needs...
  6. Why force a console update mid-online-game?!?!?

in XboX Insiders
    Why force a console update mid-online-game?!?!?: I'm in the middle of a ranked rocket league match, finally getting my groove and doing well, and the goddamn xbox blacks out and then goes into a system update. Why was I not even given an option...
  7. Why won't Microsoft allow some crucial developer updates on its games?!?

in XBoX on Windows
    Why won't Microsoft allow some crucial developer updates on its games?!?: I'm subscribed to XGP for PC and i've seen this before a couple of times on some games. They were very badly optimized to the point the gaming experience became very unpleasant. Just yesterday i...
  8. Why does an updating game never let you play in the meantime?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why does an updating game never let you play in the meantime?: Ive always had this problem. I am in a place where I have to update my xbox games via tethering from a smartphone, but have poor phone signal. it sometimes takes me weeks to download a game. is...
  9. Why are Fortnite game updates so slow lately?

in XboX Insiders
    Why are Fortnite game updates so slow lately?: [IMG] It seems to be happening around the time Fortnite releases a new update. I guess lots of people are downloading it at the same time. But speeds in the kbps. :(...
  10. May Update Why Do All My Games Require Multi-GB Updates?

in XBoX Accessibility
    May Update Why Do All My Games Require Multi-GB Updates?: So I updated my Xbox One and now all my games which are on disc require very large updates and can't play until they are updated. This is about the last straw, I'm on Hughesnet and any update is...