Why does cancelling a game update remove the entire game???

Discus and support Why does cancelling a game update remove the entire game??? in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; I started a Halo Master Chief Collection update, then changed my mind because I wanted to game with a friend online (the downloading causes problems... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by SmokinGunss, Mar 7, 2020.

1. SmokinGunss
    SmokinGunss Guest

I started a Halo Master Chief Collection update, then changed my mind because I wanted to game with a friend online (the downloading causes problems while gaming online). I clicked the "cancel all" option since it had just started, assuming the update would
    just revert back to the update list, and disappear from the queue.

After finishing gaming with my friend, I went to the update list and it wasn't there. I couldn't find it anywhere. Finally, I did a search, and come to find out that the entire game, and Halo Reach, and Halo3 ODST had all been removed from my hard drive!!

Why Xbox/Microsoft!? That would be like cancelling a Windows update and then Windows uninstalling itself from my PC! Now I have to use about 10-20% of my internet usage plan to get those games again from Game Pass.

Infuriated.

:)

SmokinGunss, Mar 7, 2020
  2. FreakRoach Win User

In addition to what Cerebral Paul has said, I think MS need to add a warning message for users on the Xbox platform if they try to cancel updates as there seems to be a misunderstanding of how updates work.

For an additional simple explanation, imagine your game had a 1GB update and your game is 20GB. When the update is downloaded and installed, your game is
    not now 21GB. The reason for this is because the update is overwriting older files during the download. Your game is probably still around 20GB after the update give or take (it may even be slightly less).

Typically your game will only be using more space if the game contains DLC. DLC is now part of game updates, regardless of whether you buy the DLC or not.

If you cancel the update then the files being over written won't finish and your game will not be complete so you'll end up with a incomplete installed game that will no longer work. Hence the entire game is removed.

Windows does its updates differently and is the reason why large updates so long to install on a PC - all of this though is beyond the scope of this post however.
    I loved your reply so much that I had to reply. It's a great explanation and I never knew this is what happens. Thanks for the informative post.
  3. Cerebral Paul Win User

Unlike Windows the Xbox does not store a temporary version of the old versions of the games and apps when it updates, it simply overwrites the affected files. (The exception is console updates, they work a bit differently)
  4. DanielKing221 Win User

I'm sorry to hear about this. I agree that there's confusion and not enough clarity about cancelling updates...
  5. Yombi Win User

Thanks for the explanation. It was very acurate.
  6. M3tal Daz3 Win User

There should definitely be a warning when complete delete is about to happen.
Thema:

1. Why does cancelling a game update remove the entire game??? - Similar Threads - Why does cancelling

2. Why does my Xbox one controller keep shutting off.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does my Xbox one controller keep shutting off.: I recently bought a used xbox one and an extra controller. I turn on the controller which connects to the console but shuts off after about 3 minutes. I have replaced the batteries with brand new...
  3. Why does Microsoft Sudoku not Load.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why does Microsoft Sudoku not Load.: I'm going to restart this same discussion. the last one which ran for about 2 months was summarily closed with no definitive solution. The problem still exists. I uninstalled and reinstalled on...
  4. Por que a Microsoft cobra a alteração de gamertag? [Mod Translation - Why does Microsoft...

in XBoX Accessibility
    Por que a Microsoft cobra a alteração de gamertag? [Mod Translation - Why does Microsoft...: Por que a Microsoft cobra a alteração de gamertag? Estava pensando e parece uma coisa muito simples, diversos outros serviços permitem esse mudança, inclusive a própria Microsoft permite a...
  5. Why Does my xbox keep changing my password without my consent to something i dont know

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why Does my xbox keep changing my password without my consent to something i dont know: every time i log onto my xbox it asks me to put in my password wich i know 100% what it is when i do, and then it says im wrong over and over again till i have to reset it every day....
  6. Por qué Microsoft store me acepta mi tarjeta de débito?[Translation-Why does Microsoft...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Por qué Microsoft store me acepta mi tarjeta de débito?[Translation-Why does Microsoft...: Cuando quiero pagar ultimate dice que hubo un error de su lado [Translation-When I want to pay ultimate says there was a mistake on your side] f5913ceb-fec2-4152-969e-c72adee45044
  7. Why does my Microsoft store not show the images of apps and games?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why does my Microsoft store not show the images of apps and games?: My Microsoft store not show the images of apps and games on my Xbox One all digital really frustrating. Can anyone help ? c64f4c99-87e5-4d64-9f80-805b7fe3d803
  8. Why does my Xbox keep losing connection to my controller and internet at the same time?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does my Xbox keep losing connection to my controller and internet at the same time?: Hi, My console appears to have an intermittent fault whereby it will disconnect from the wireless controller and from the internet at the same time. Initially, from reading up, it was suggested...
  9. Why does canceling a game update on XB1 deletes the entire 42.8Gb game?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does canceling a game update on XB1 deletes the entire 42.8Gb game?: Bungie released a new update today for Destiny 2. The console began the download, but I needed to switch networks, so I "Canceled" the update. This, to my shock, deleted the entire game. Why would...
  10. Why does if have to be a hassle to cancel auto-renewal

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does if have to be a hassle to cancel auto-renewal: This is ridiculous! There used to be an option to cancel auto renewal but now there's not. And every post I see of others having the same problem the people replying are of no help what so ever....