Why does the Xbox app keep reinstalling my games, and why can't I get Rage 2 to read my...

Discus and support Why does the Xbox app keep reinstalling my games, and why can't I get Rage 2 to read my... in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; Like the title says, the Xbox app on Windows 10 keeps reinstalling my games, claiming that the "folder location was moved". This error has already... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by NatasHastings, Jul 15, 2022.

1. Why does the Xbox app keep reinstalling my games, and why can't I get Rage 2 to read my...

Like the title says, the Xbox app on Windows 10 keeps reinstalling my games, claiming that the "folder location was moved". This error has already killed my 8TB HDD, and I can't find a working fix anywhere.

Reinstalling the games is a problem enough, but my internet is fast enough, surely I can still play them here and there. Actually, no. Like I said in the title, I have the saves for the game, I copied them to the desktop just in case the reinstall deleted them (it didn't), but the game will not give me an opportunity to load these saves. This is the third time this has happened, and I'm not restarting the game again.

This has happened to other games as well, and I'm about to just give up on gaming altogether.

If anybody has some useful advice, I'd appreciate it, because I've scoured page after page in my search engine, and have yet to find a fix that works.

:)

NatasHastings, Jul 15, 2022
  2. NatasHastings Win User

Why does the Xbox app keep reinstalling my games, and why can't I get Rage 2 to read my existing saves after said reinstall?

So, that didn't work. Still getting error 0x80070020 for literally no reason, and it's still reinstalling my games for no reason.
  3. NatasHastings Win User

Why does the Xbox app keep reinstalling my games, and why can't I get Rage 2 to read my existing saves after said reinstall?

The location for installed content is my F drive (it's an 8 TB drive that replaced the one mentioned in the post). I have previously tried the fix you've mentioned, as well as reinstalling gaming services via Powershell, and the usual cache deletions and service restarts that come with these sort of software issues.

Neither 8 TB drives are/were external, both are/were internal HDDs directly connected to my motherboard's SATA ports. They're both NTFS, and SMART reporting is clean on the current drive (I just bought it a week ago).
  4. JosefLBohorquez Win User

Thanks for the update and for the extra information!

May i know if you tried installing this game to the internal C: drive just to give it a shot?

And, your windows 10 system and all apps are up to date?

Open Settings, click Update and Security and then Windows Update;

Click Check for Updates;

Click the Download and Install Now option, if available (Install optional updates as well)

Also, check the Microsoft Store for any updates on the Xbox apps and its services and update everything too.
  5. JosefLBohorquez Win User

Hi and thanks for reaching Microsoft Xbox gamer's community. My name is Josef.
    I'm an Independent Advisor and a Microsoft Xbox user like you.

Hope you're doing great today despite this Natashastings!

May i know if your Xbox PC app is installed on your C: drive?
    Please first try this:

Delete the Xbox app, then go to windows settings > system > storage > “if you’re on windows 11 scroll down a bit and select advance storage settings” finally select the C: drive as where new content is going to be installed.

Reinstall the Xbox app. Select again the 8TB HDD as where new content is going to be installed and give it a new try

By the way, please tell me briefly which troubleshooting steps you have done so far to fix this issue , and the external HDD is formatted as NTFS?

I’ll be waiting for your reply, greetings from another Microsoft user!
  6. NatasHastings Win User

Just checked for updates in the MS Store and under Windows Update, everything is up to date.

I did reinstall the Xbox app again, and am currently installing a game to my 2 TB drive D, just as a test.

Unfortunately, the C drive doesn't have any space for games, as it's just a 100 GB M2 drive, so that isn't really an option unless I migrate my boot drive to a larger capacity drive.

I'll update when the game finishes installing and I test it.
Thema:

Why does the Xbox app keep reinstalling my games, and why can't I get Rage 2 to read my...

1. Why does the Xbox app keep reinstalling my games, and why can't I get Rage 2 to read my... - Similar Threads - Why does app

2. Why does the Xbox Accessories app care about concurrent user sessions when checking...

in XboX Insiders
    Why does the Xbox Accessories app care about concurrent user sessions when checking...: When checking for controller firmware updates, I tend to check all that I own in batches. The downside of this app, however, is that it can only check and process one controller firmware update at...
  3. Why does the Xbox app reset to 100 percent volume when I sleep or restart my computer?

in XBoX on Windows
    Why does the Xbox app reset to 100 percent volume when I sleep or restart my computer?: It's the only app that I've experienced that does this. e5b131c0-c6c2-4798-a166-84c44c876933
  4. Why does the Game Pass mobile app not count the log in to the game pass mobile app quest...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why does the Game Pass mobile app not count the log in to the game pass mobile app quest...: Why does the Game Pass mobile app not count the log in to the game pass mobile app quest anymore? This has worked up until yesterday. I have tried uninstalling the app, signing in and out or the...
  5. Why does Xbox app on pc not work half the time for online games

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why does Xbox app on pc not work half the time for online games: I have done everything that is on the xbox website to fix online issues. This issue is on astroneer and hitman trilogy. My friend can connect online on his console but on pc I can not connect....
  6. Why does the Xbox app dismiss the community?

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    Why does the Xbox app dismiss the community?: Activity feeds, clubs, LFGs, the social pillars of Xbox—gone since fall 2020 with the new app. Xbox risks following PlayStation’s path of driving the community into silence until they bring these...
  7. Why does the Xbox app redownload the whole game when doing an update?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why does the Xbox app redownload the whole game when doing an update?: Exactly as the title says. Any game that requires an update needs the whole game redownloading. It's done it with FH5, Age of Empires, TheHunter, Minecraft even. It's such a rubbish system and is...
  8. Why does my xbox keep disappearing from my xbox app

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why does my xbox keep disappearing from my xbox app: I have added my xbox series x at least twice now to my app, but it keeps disappearing. It's telling me it looks like I haven't set up my xbox yet and wants me to run through the setup again....
  9. Why does the Xbox app think I'm a child?

in XBoX on Windows
    Why does the Xbox app think I'm a child?: Hello, I was born in 1998 and my account even says that I am yet my account is considered a child account and I can't play certain games off of game pass. be8f88b8-85d1-4172-b3a9-bd9cfb0968a4
  10. Does anyone know why the Xbox streaming app isn’t working ?

in XboX Insiders
    Does anyone know why the Xbox streaming app isn’t working ?: Does anyone know how to fix the Xbox streaming app ? I’ve done some research seems like everyone is having the same problem even if you are connected to Xbox insider submitted by...