Why has Microsoft started assigning gamertags instead of making you change your gamertag if ...

Discus and support Why has Microsoft started assigning gamertags instead of making you change your gamertag if ... in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; If you want to change it to a random name then you should allow one free change after doing so. My gamertag was not bad but someone complained so I was... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by GregThomas_KHLaw, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Why has Microsoft started assigning gamertags instead of making you change your gamertag if ...

If you want to change it to a random name then you should allow one free change after doing so. My gamertag was not bad but someone complained so I was given a really sad random gamertag that does not reflect who I am at all.

First I have to say that this policy is horrible. Anyone can complain and if they do you take the gamertag without any investigation at all. I have learned to live with that. but now you assign some lame *** random crap and ask me to pay $9.99 to change
    it? That is pure BS. Personally I think $10 is steep to change a gamertag. but M$ needs to make money everywhere it can. If you want to force a random gamertag then you should give one free change after.

Not that it will do any good but at least I have said my peace.

I don't see why [MOD REMOVED] was so bad anyhow? Just one more reason why the PS4 is looking like a better choice after all. They have never made me change my gamertag.

:)

GregThomas_KHLaw, Apr 11, 2014
  2. This email is to notify you that your Xbox Live Gamertag has been determined to be inappropriate. Your Gamertag has been replaced with an automatically generated Gamertag.

So now I am forced to pay ten dollars to change my gamertag to something i like instead of having an Xbox generated, lame one? This has happened to me before and I was granted a free gamertag change.

AngryCalf268142, Apr 11, 2014
  3. WPAK
    WPAK Guest
    Change GT

Hi there,

depending on when the account was initially created you may get a free gamertag change. Nowadays you will be assigned a auto generated gamertag when creating an xbox live account and therefor a free change is received.

Since your current gamertag is one that was not auto generated you are not entitled for the free change, which is why you are shown the 9.99 price.

4. Smwutches
    Smwutches Guest

Why has Microsoft started assigning gamertags instead of making you change your gamertag if ...

Actually the enforcement team investigates every complaint they receive. It only takes one valid complaint for them to take action against your account. You can have a million complaints filed against you, but they will only issue a change (or anything else)
    if you have violated the code of conduct or terms of service. You may not see why it's bad, but it does violate the code.

Do not create a Gamertag, profile content, Avatar content, in-game content, videos, or any other content that other users may be offended by. This includes, without limitation, anything related to or suggestive of:

Profane words or phrases

They used to let you change your gamertag when you were issued a forced name change, however a lot of people would just change it to a similar tag and be issued more forced changes until they were banned. I'm guessing the policy change is to try to force
    you to make a gamertag that won't get you banned.

FYI, PS doesn't even offer name changes. They would just ban the account and make you create a new one if they have an issue with your tag.

Smwutches, Apr 11, 2014
  5. Its sad that in America we are so hung up on this stuff. I have seen GT's that in no way fit any of the criteria for banning be banned because someone complained that they were offended So I disagree that each case is investigated. Also I have used the word
    shat in my last 5 or 6 GT's. If there were truly an "investigation" then the word shat would have been added to the ban list. It hasn't I checked there are still a lot of GT's out there using it. So instead of Truly addressing the issue and banning the word
    shat. M$ will keep changing it and getting $10 every time someone wants to pick a new shat name.

If someone complains they force a change. I understand the policy, and that they have to appease the masses. I am just against charging $10 if they force you to change it. I can guarantee that this change in policy was driven by profit and not to defer people
    from choosing a similar name otherwise they would add the offensive (but not really) words to the banned list.

As far as PS is concerned they don't charge either so I can create as many accounts as I want. I have just never been banned for my original
    [MOD REMOVED] GT that has been there since the start of PS online.

6. davemcfly85
    davemcfly85 Guest
    no they force you to change it because people were abusing the free name change. in the past if you had a inappropriate name you would get a prompt to change it before being allowed on the live service, too many people were just changing it to something
    just as bad so the PET decided to auto change it instead.

davemcfly85, Apr 11, 2014
  7. How can you abuse a free name change? If M$ is making me change it and they don't want to address the problem and allow me to make a similar name then that is on them not me. Someone realized that there was a whole new profit base to be had by changing this
    policy. You can hide behind terms like people were abusing the name change but the fact is M$ now gets $10 ever time they ban a name. So instead of making it impossible to use a variation of that banned name they just charge you $10 then you can go right back
    to a similar name. M$ makes money I keep a similar name everyone wins till the next soccer mom sees her son who shouldn't be playing an adult rated game in a room with that offensive name. Then the cycle repeats. I bet M$ forces hundreds of changes a day.

I know I am speaking to a wall here because anyone who is in a position to respond to this has drunk the M$ Green Kool Aid but hell its a fun exercise in Free speech anyhow.

I would like to see a response from someone who actually investigates these I just cant believe that every complaint is investigated.

Personally I find the term Major Nelson offensive. I hated I dream of Jeanie!

8. Smwutches
    Smwutches Guest

Smwutches, Apr 11, 2014
  9. I posted there but I find it interesting that in that forum they have to approve what gets posted. I hope they are not too offended to allow and answer my post.

10. davemcfly85
    davemcfly85 Guest
    well that thread is ONLY to find out why enforcement was taken on a particular account not to discuss enforcement policies so they may A: not let it post or B: reply via a email.

davemcfly85, Apr 11, 2014
  11. Yes, MS makes $10 by forcing you to pay to get a name you like, but I think it is more a deterrant to stop people potentially making further gamer tags some people find offensive. If it costs you $10 a time how likely are you to keep making them?

CardiacArrestOG, Apr 11, 2014
  12. If M$ truly wanted to stop people from using certain mildly offensive word then they would black list them like they do the actual cuss words. You can not use any cuss words in a GT but they make me change my name for instance because of the word [Mod Removed]
    in the GT yet there are still many GT's out there with [Mod Removed] in it and the will allow me to change one letter get almost my identical name back, If they truly want to discourage or stop me from using the word [Mod Removed] then they should block that
    word. They don't because it is more lucrative to make $9.99 each time. That is my point. It's about profit not who is offended.

Not to pick on you but if I had suffered a heart attack I may find the GT CardiacArrestOG offensive. Would you be upset if M$ suddenly changed your name to FluffyBunny763654?

13. Lillithvain
    Lillithvain Guest

I got a speeding ticket a few times, but... I speed all the time. Cops give out tickets like its going to stop people from speeding. I see other people speeding all the time. No one ever gives them a ticket. They say that they give tickets to force people
    to comply with the laws but seriously.. come on, big brother wants my money. If they really wanted to stop people from speeding they wouldn't give out tickets, they would just make it mandatory that car manufacturers install speed regulating devices in cars
    that automatically reduce your speed according to the limit on that part of the road. But, no... it's not about safety. It's about money. Anyone who believes otherwise drank the green government Kool-Aid.

Lillithvain, Apr 11, 2014
  14. look at mine they could of at least gave me a male name kind kitten micro soft ur taking the pizz tbf it should be put in to place that ur gamer tag should be looked at 1st b4 ur allowed it simple as that any 1 can have a problem with any gamer tag its just
    that simple

KindKitten50731, Mar 26, 2015
  15. Yes, the force change to a gamer tag was abused far too much, and to the original poster, I don't know what your previous gamer tag was, but the way you are typing to everyone on here I can make an assumption that it was a bad choice of gamer tag. Gamers
    always seem to think they will get it better at PSN, but no matter where you go, you are not immune from a suspension of any sort, probably would be best if you be more careful in the future when you decide on a gamer tag.

DanielGabriel2, Mar 26, 2015
Thema:

1. Why has Microsoft started assigning gamertags instead of making you change your gamertag if ... - Similar Threads - Why has Microsoft

2. Why has wordament daily challenge stopped working?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why has wordament daily challenge stopped working?: Wordament daily challenge has stopped working. fd53e0de-f0aa-4950-96c8-68931e9586db
  3. Why has the 'Enforcement' rules not been fixed yet?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why has the 'Enforcement' rules not been fixed yet?: I'd like to make it clear that by no means am I claiming this is the end of the world or anything but rather, I want to point out how ridiculous the rules are and how easy it is to be banned...
  4. Why does microsoft deny the XBOXoneS has major faults?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does microsoft deny the XBOXoneS has major faults?: Since i bought the PUBG release XBOXONES ive had nothing but issues with it. Ive spent hours on the phone with microsoft setting up my router to their specs. Spent 250$ on a new router which i was...
  5. Why has Microsoft set a limit on bandwidth coming from Xbox Live accounts?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why has Microsoft set a limit on bandwidth coming from Xbox Live accounts?: I have used Xbox Live for about a decade now and this has never been an issue before. Upon moving out of my family's home and attempting to use our Xbox subscription to play online on my secondary...
  6. Why Microsoft has banned entire Ukraine from accessing xbox servers?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why Microsoft has banned entire Ukraine from accessing xbox servers?: So, if you use Ukrainian IP address you can't sign in into your console, or your account from a mobile app or Windows 10 app. Why is that? 22ac8b47-bc02-4b38-afd7-4ce00d52162a
  7. Why has the card face been changed on Microsoft Solitaire Collection?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why has the card face been changed on Microsoft Solitaire Collection?: The new cards are hard to distinguish, even for younger eyesight. I am in my 80s and have been playing for about 3 months without difficulty with the old card display. Now, I cannot distinguish...
  8. Microsoft Wordament - Large map/multi level game for April has disappeared! Why? Return Pls!

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Microsoft Wordament - Large map/multi level game for April has disappeared! Why? Return Pls!: Microsoft word games - Wordament - Large map - the "new" month of April map was started, but has disappeared! Tried to chat with on-line support, but it was a complete waste of time and no help!...
  9. Why has all my gold earned doing microsoft puzzles gone into deficit ??

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why has all my gold earned doing microsoft puzzles gone into deficit ??: For month's now I have been trying to play Microsoft jigsaw puzzles, earned a bunch of gold and now it is showing a negative amount !! WHY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 016e73fa-080b-46f2-b457-3536f29922ca
  10. So many peoples can't play multiplay two weeks ago,why Microsoft still has no replay?

in XBoX on Consoles
    So many peoples can't play multiplay two weeks ago,why Microsoft still has no replay?: me and so many Asian members cannot connect to Xbox live multiplay around two weeks ago,why Microsoft can no any reply or any information? cb2c5a29-886d-491a-948c-8237e9f80782