Why is my xbox lying about connection speeds?

Discus and support Why is my xbox lying about connection speeds? in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; When I check network statistics on my xbox one it is telling me I am getting 884mbps download speeds, my queue for downloads bounces around between... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by CantStopTheATrain, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Why is my xbox lying about connection speeds?

When I check network statistics on my xbox one it is telling me I am getting 884mbps download speeds, my queue for downloads bounces around between 100-250mbps listed, but the games are actually downloading at about 10% of that. I see a lot of people expressing
    dissatisfaction about their xbox not meeting their internet service, but mine is coming close according to the network test, but hardly 1% overall in action. I'm super confused why the download itself would be telling me its going way faster than it is.

I am running a wired connection directly to a brand new router and it is the only thing on the network.

Anyone know why this would happen or how to fix it? Or is speed for the xbox store capped or something?

:)

CantStopTheATrain, Sep 24, 2019
  2. Mikeysoonerfan Win User

One thing to remember when downloading files is there is a difference between bites and bits. File sizes are always listed in bites. Speeds are always listed in bits. So if you have a 2GB file and have a 1Gb service that file will not download in 2 seconds.
    There are 8bits for every bite. So even running at full optimal speed it will take 8x's longer than what most people think. Then there are connection speeds at the server, and traffic in the server. Plus what the xbox is able to handle computing wise. Whether
    its wifi or hardwired. So many things affect download speeds on console. Try running a download while playing a game or running another program and the download slows to a crawl. Not sure if xbox prioritizes the other programs and slows background downloads
    but it sure seems like it does. Its best to download offline. I get the best speeds with downloads when the xbox is sitting idle doing nothing but the download. Do anything it slows it down. So with your example of 250Mbps downloading a 40GB file will roughly
    take 21 minutes. Most people I would ask that question to would think that file would download in 3 minutes. Why do they put bits in speed and put bites on file size? Who knows.
  3. Geth Win User

Yeah, it seems they have a cap space for downloads.

Sony and Steam also seem to have this. Most likely in place to keep the servers fully optimized.
  4. Parakitteh Win User

Xbox (360) can connect to Internet, but not Xbox LIVE

Update - After setting my modem into Modem Only mode and instead using the wireless connection of a spare router lying around, it has connected to Xbox LIVE with zero problems.

This at least confirms that the Xbox itself is fine, now I have to try and work out why the good network refuses to co-operate.
  5. AFG 1 Actual CG Win User

Female gamer looking for 18+ fun/mature clan!!

Just a heads up.. SOD Approdite.. lying about why you left isn't nice.. Good luck to you though!
  6. Epic Louie Win User

Gamerscore and what it does

[quote user="isturbo1984"]

Maybe he was lying? Idunno. No way of knowing... but I'm not lying. It's what he told me. But if one thinks about it... it is logical. Total Gamerscore divided by total time with Xbox Live is an pretty accurate guesstimate on how much one plays their MS
    brand Xbox as a consumer, whether or not how "good" you are. I didn't come up with this on my own.
    And its pretty ****ty of everyone to insinuate blatant lying on my part.

[/quote]

I've never called you a liar. I was just wondering why I never received any offers like that. I'll be making a call to Microsoft once my subscription expires.
Thema:

1. Why is my xbox lying about connection speeds? - Similar Threads - Why lying connection

2. Why is youtube showing white blanks on a search results page, using xbox one edge app?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why is youtube showing white blanks on a search results page, using xbox one edge app?: I've tried restarting app, xbox, modem. It started it after setting up a new modem, with higher speeds. Wired connection 2556e7dc-6dd5-4a3e-8a10-d8e1865571a1
  3. mincraft on xbox oonbe cant connect to me on pc anymore? why?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    mincraft on xbox oonbe cant connect to me on pc anymore? why?: Hi i used to play with my little brother, and we tried today to play again after a while. we are trying to play on lan but it does not work when i am the LAN server. but when he is on the xbox...
  4. Why Ukrainian prices are so high? Please, Microsoft or Xbox, correct your regional prices...

in XBoX on Windows
    Why Ukrainian prices are so high? Please, Microsoft or Xbox, correct your regional prices...: [img] Why Xbox sells videogames for random prices? e283dd92-a5ca-465d-a46c-d036727691bb
  5. Why o Why do all FPS games bar the L4D franchise not have a pivot (spin 180) function ?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why o Why do all FPS games bar the L4D franchise not have a pivot (spin 180) function ?: Hey Gamers ! Anyone else every been baffled why only L4D(2) had a pivot option ? A pal of mine who played through all of the L4D franch with me asked a simple question (someone who isn't a...
  6. Why Won’t My Xbox 360 Read Game Discs?

in XBoX on Windows
    Why Won’t My Xbox 360 Read Game Discs?: The major contributing factor to a disc read error is a dirty optical lens (the one that your Xbox 360 laser passes through to read the disc itself). If there is dirt or dust on the laser lens,...
  7. Why is the auction disabled?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why is the auction disabled?: Hello, I had a problem due to which I can not go into the auction room. What could be the problem? here is the screen http://prntscr.com/pu1k6u 6d6acf9c-86bb-41db-9d78-478beed6678a
  8. Why you lying to me xbox?

in XboX Insiders
    Why you lying to me xbox?: [IMG] submitted by /u/Apexassassln [link] [comments]
  9. Why does Microsoft lie about trash talk ?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why does Microsoft lie about trash talk ?: Why.... Why does xbox claim that fun trash talk is acceptable but ban ppl based on the recipient being offended.? A player openly admitted to cheating in Shellshock live vecause "they wanted a...
  10. Purchase and Content Usage up and running - Why Lie?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Purchase and Content Usage up and running - Why Lie?: So on the Xbox Live Service page, it says that Purchase and Content Usage is up and running, yet nobody can redeem their codes after they have been detected by the system as valid? Some people who...