Why no "delta updates" or why do a 2GB game take 2 GB to update?

Discus and support Why no "delta updates" or why do a 2GB game take 2 GB to update? in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; I have no idea what's going on here but you think that you'd be able to use the data in your hard drive and then operate on it surgically. The joke I... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by TripleTopper321, Aug 3, 2021.

1. Why no "delta updates" or why do a 2GB game take 2 GB to update?

I have no idea what's going on here but you think that you'd be able to use the data in your hard drive and then operate on it surgically.

The joke I often give is retyping the entirety of War and Peace just because you put a colon instead of a semicolon in one place.

That's the attitude Xbox seems to have about updates even if one line of code changes load the whole thing again.

I live in a place where my best possible connection for Xbox is anywhere in the United States on my visible hotspot wireless. That's right 5 megabits in 5 megabits out on a cell phone hotspot is faster than any land connection I could get out here.

I have no idea what logic was employed by having you download the whole game again just to turn one colon into a semicolon but that kind of thinking has got to stop.

It's like doing brain surgery, heart surgery, and every other vital organ surgery just to fix a hangnail.

On the subject, why do my games need a 4K update when I don't have the network nor the TV to support it?

I'd rather have a CRT TV that's gamer sized (meaning one person could carry it oneself along clear path) than have a high definition TV that's delayed just by the very nature of high definition pictures.

:)

TripleTopper321, Aug 3, 2021
  2. Just a Volunteer Win User

"Why no delta updates"

Sounds like your console is enrolled in the Delta Xbox Insiders preview. If so, you should check the Xbox Insider Forum on Reddit.

The reason you may be getting large 2GB updates is you missed a preview update and the console will download the complete updated OS specific to the Delta preview.

If your only internet access is a phone hotspot I suggest you unenroll from all Insider previews and return the console to the General release OS for xbox consoles.

For example, my console is enrolled in the Alpha skip ahead preview and I do 3-4 updates to the OS a week. It doesn't take long to use 2GB a week just in OS updates.
  3. Christopher Revoredo Win User

Hi there! Welcome to the community tab! Christopher here, an Xbox fan like you and been on Xbox for years already. I would really love to make your day by helping you out. Well, updates regarding games are not made by Xbox, they are made by the developers and everyone has to download every update, even if some of use do not use the 4k feature. I totally understand the frustration of this situation!
  4. DisturbedOne614 Win User

I have to install it again? Really?

It's installing an update? The PS4 version's patch is only like 2 GB or something like that, I can't imagine why the X1 version would be much more, considering it's taking much longer to download this "update" than it did for the game itself...
  5. Russ Penman Win User

NO EXTERNAL STORAGE OR MEDIA USAGE!!

The Skydrive has a 2 GB per file limitation, sucks for movies over 2GB!!
  6. Obsessive Power Win User

XB1 games randomly uninstalled

...they take way too long to install given my internet speed is ok-ish and have now had both these games uninstalled after cancelling...
    Hi,

I'm afraid if you cancel an update, the game will be uninstalled. This has always been the case since the time the console was released. Unfortunately, they don't give you a warning this will be the case. This also happens on games on PC downloaded via the
    Windows Store.

I understand the logic to the uninstall/deletion - I will explain in a moment - but the implementation is lacking.

So, why do my games get deleted when I cancel an update?

Game patches can be quite large and they don't get added to the end of a game. So, if for example if your installed game is 40 GB and there is a 2 GB update, the game isn't necessarily taking up 42 GB of storage now. It may still be 40GB or it could now
    take up 41GB or perhaps less. Updates overwrite other files that make up the game and they may also add new files. If the update needs to go in the middle of the game and you cancel the update you would end up with a big chunk of missing data and game that
    no longer works. This is why if you cancel an update you'll delete the game.
Thema:

1. Why no "delta updates" or why do a 2GB game take 2 GB to update? - Similar Threads - Why delta updates

2. Why does microsoft solitar collection freeze every god damn day have not been able to play...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why does microsoft solitar collection freeze every god damn day have not been able to play...: Why does microsoft solitar collection freeze every god damn day have not been able to play for two weeks 137cc3bf-55ce-4c7f-b2e5-1fe3af528a8d
  3. Why not let people know that someone you have reported got banned?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why not let people know that someone you have reported got banned?: I lose a little bit more faith in the reporting system every time I make one. Mainly because I have no way of knowing that someone actually got banned and the report isn't just Ignored. I...
  4. Why can we still not delete achievements?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why can we still not delete achievements?: Hello, I've seen for years individuals ask for the ability to be able to delete achievements/games that have 2% achievements from their account and I just don't see the harm in it. I personally...
  5. Why can we still not delete achievements?

in XboX Insiders
    Why can we still not delete achievements?: Hello, I've seen for years individuals ask for the ability to be able to delete achievements/games that have 2% achievements from their account and I just don't see the harm in it. I personally...
  6. Why does my Series X randomly turn off when playing games

in XboX Insiders
    Why does my Series X randomly turn off when playing games: My Xbox randomly turns off when I play nba2k22. I don’t have anything in the setting for it to do this and it’ll do it even when I’m just idle in the game. It has done this with Cold War and...
  7. I can't download a digital game I own, why is that?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I can't download a digital game I own, why is that?: I bought the game Celeste a while ago on my xbox one (I owned it there). The game is also a "xbox play anywhere" title, so I should be able to download it on pc just fine, but unfortunately,...
  8. On homescreen, why "Games Pass / EA Play" is shown in games' icon, but "X|S" isn't?!

in XboX Insiders
    On homescreen, why "Games Pass / EA Play" is shown in games' icon, but "X|S" isn't?!: Really can't understand why this was never implemented there and we can only see it under "My games and apps". submitted by /u/viniciusrsouza [link] [comments]
  9. Why can't i play f2p games without xbox live gold? (I'm in delta ring)

in XboX Insiders
    Why can't i play f2p games without xbox live gold? (I'm in delta ring): Today I just got into the delta ring where it says that only destiny 2 and warzone can't be played without xbox live gold. Unfortunately I can't play any f2p game that is multiplyer without xbox...
  10. Why even with automatic updates off is there so many forced updates in the Delta ring of the ...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why even with automatic updates off is there so many forced updates in the Delta ring of the ...: I am receiving console updates nearly DAILY in the middle of Sea of Thieves without any warning at all, and I'm getting extremely mad about it. I'd like to keep everything to do with the new...