Window's game bar's capture folder has merged with the video folder. i haven't succeeded...

Discus and support Window's game bar's capture folder has merged with the video folder. i haven't succeeded... in XBoX on Windows to solve the problem; I was attempting to move the captures folder, the folder where window's game bar recording function saves to, to a different drive. Unfortunately I... Discussion in 'XBoX on Windows' started by CorbinAnseeuw, Mar 10, 2022.

1. Window's game bar's capture folder has merged with the video folder. i haven't succeeded...

I was attempting to move the captures folder, the folder where window's game bar recording function saves to, to a different drive. Unfortunately I failed to completely understand the instructions of "use File Explorer to move the Captures folder anywhere you want on your PC", and instead dragged and dropped, which then only copied, and then I deleted the original. It did not preserve game bar recording to it, and instead switched to my user videos folder. Which is a problem because videos is also a system folder.

I have attempted to use other guides on un merging documents and downloads folders, as well as other combinations, to no avail. In my attempts I managed to rename videos to captures, and can't be renamed.

I tried using registry editor to change an unnamed item that also directed to the videos folder that i suspected to be my captures folder, but it only reset itself after a restart.

A method to revert my mistake without requiring a reinstallation of windows would be greatly appreciated. I do not have auxiliary drives to back up data and would have to reinstall dozens of large games on poor internet.

:)

CorbinAnseeuw, Mar 10, 2022
  2. XBF - Drew Win User

Window's game bar's capture folder has merged with the video folder. i haven't succeeded with similar guides.

Hi CorbinAnseeuw,

Please report this as a problem using the Windows Feedback Hub for Team Xbox to investigate. This article has instructions on how to report it. When you are filling out the description include "Xbox Forums" to help us track it.

Thank you, and let me know when you have completed the report.

XBF Drew
  3. Rynn21 Win User

Game Bar Captures Folder Missing

I did exactly as this link shows, but redirecting to a slave drive's root.

The difference is, I didn't create a new folder on the separate drive before clicking ok. Somehow that made the real Captures folder go into the abyss.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/87523-move-location-game-dvr-captures-folder-windows-10-a.html

The capture folder is now completely missing. It cannot be located, and every time I re-open the game bar now it has decided to place where captures are saved in a different odd place. It went from the root of the slave drive of where I tried to move the captures
    folder to, to the Videos folder, to the temp folder, and now to the system recovery partition. It's acting weird. I even uninstalled and reinstalled the game bar. No change.
  4. Kittenflap Win User

Xbox Game DVR: Unable to find captures?

No, I am not able to access the original 'Captures' folder from the Videos folder in the C Drive as I moved it to a portable hard drive. I created a new 'Captures' folder in the C Drive, but the Game Bar doesn't want to recognize it as a new one, that's
    my issue. Is there a way to make the new folder a default location for new captures?
  5. XBF Eladio M Win User

Game DVR, lo hizo de nuevo :( [Mod Translation - Game DVR, did it again]

Hey Z3N3K

Thank you for taking the time to post this on the Xbox Forums. We understand that you are currently experiencing difficulties with recording content.

If you haven't already, I recommend that you review the
    Troubleshooting Xbox Game Bar on Windows 10
    article and see if some of these techniques work for you.

Additionally, it would be worth trying to save your captures to a different location and see if that helps alleviate the message that states there is nothing to record.

To see where your captures are saved, open Game bar and select the My captures folder, or press the
    Start button, choose Settings > Gaming >
    Captures. Press the Open folder button to see your captures in File Explorer.

By default, game clips and screenshots are saved in your
    Videos folder (named Captures). The Captures folder can be moved to different places on your PC.

There should also be a help link when you select Captures that says "How to save to a different folder".

I hope this is of some use to you.
  6. Ariel Acu Win User

Game dvr not saving clips?

Hi TriedBasket635,

By default, the video clips that you captured are saved to the Captures folder which is located in the Videos folder. Regarding your concern, it is possible that the video clips weren't captured successfully that's why it doesn't show up on the Captures
    folder. Can you tell us if you're getting the same issue if you record another game clips on your game? Also, is your Windows 10 updated?
Thema:

Window's game bar's capture folder has merged with the video folder. i haven't succeeded...

1. Window's game bar's capture folder has merged with the video folder. i haven't succeeded... - Similar Threads - Window's game bar's

2. Xbox Controller Elite on Windows 11 opens Game Bar when pressing "A" button and "x box" key...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox Controller Elite on Windows 11 opens Game Bar when pressing "A" button and "x box" key...: Hi I have seen this problem in the forum but have been unable to find a solution that works. My new Xbox Elite controller always opens Game Bar when I hit the "A" button. I have checked the Game...
  3. Question regarding Xbox Game Bar "Copy Link" feature on Windows 10

in XboX Insiders
    Question regarding Xbox Game Bar "Copy Link" feature on Windows 10: About a month ago I found the copy clip feature that was added to the game bar game captures. I was excited about this because it made uploading clips to my gaming group's discord channel super...
  4. fixing game bar on windows 10

in XBoX on Windows
    fixing game bar on windows 10: Game bar doesn't work on my pc, it is installed and I tried everything to fix it with no results. The system doesn't allow me to uninstall it, and when I try to repair the app, nothing works...
  5. Windows 10 Xbox Game Bar Party Chat Drops Out or "Disconnects" With No Error Message - Only...

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    Windows 10 Xbox Game Bar Party Chat Drops Out or "Disconnects" With No Error Message - Only...: Before we go down the route of identifying my hardware, software and permissions... I have 2 other friends on Windows 10 PC who experience the exact same issues on vastly different PC...
  6. My Xbox Game Bar and Windows Taskbar are Being Dragged To the Left

in XBoX Games and Apps
    My Xbox Game Bar and Windows Taskbar are Being Dragged To the Left: I recently switched to pc from Xbox but still regularly use the Xbox app. However every time I plug in my controller and open the game bar, the 'selector' moves to the left as if I have stick...
  7. Windows 10 game bar uploading clips?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Windows 10 game bar uploading clips?: Me and my roommate both have the same build with windows 10 I can upload clips to the xbox network from the game bar but only if it has recognized the game I was playing when I took the clip so...
  8. XBox Game Bar not opening when pressing the XBox button - Windows 10

in XBoX Games and Apps
    XBox Game Bar not opening when pressing the XBox button - Windows 10: Hi, I used to be able to open the XBox Game Bar in Windows 10 by pressing the XBox button on my controller (XBox Elite series 2 connected via MS controller USB adapter). I don't use it that often...
  9. Windows 11 Game Bar not disabling input when open

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Windows 11 Game Bar not disabling input when open: Hello everyone, When I am playing a game and use the xbox game bar the game keeps registering input still, both on controller and mouse and keyboard. This did not used to happen but started maybe...
  10. Spotify not linking to game bar Windows 11

in XBoX on Windows
    Spotify not linking to game bar Windows 11: This problem that I'm going to discuss is a frequently asked question When I try to link my Spotify account to Xbox Game Bar, I get a white screen saying "Connecting to a server..." I have...