Xbox 1 External Drive results in reset

Discus and support Xbox 1 External Drive results in reset in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; My Xbox One just started force resetting out of nowhere. I figured out that it only does it with the external drive, that I have had for over a year... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by ChrisDuffield1, May 16, 2019.

1. Xbox 1 External Drive results in reset

My Xbox One just started force resetting out of nowhere. I figured out that it only does it with the external drive, that I have had for over a year now, is connected. Whenever I connect it with the system started it locks up the system completely.
    Bad drive or possibly cable maybe? Thanks!

:)

ChrisDuffield1, May 16, 2019
  2. Alucario Ultra Win User

3. Teh FireFox Win User

It sounds like it could be a corrupted file on the External Drive, If your system is resetting when the drive is plugged in, you might need to wipe the HDD and let your xbox reformat it.
  4. Reklaw X Win User

My xbox was doing something very similar when I had an external that wasnt even 3 months old, turns out the hdd was bad and died on me a couple days later
  5. XBF Crystal P Win User

repeated "External storage ready for use"

Hi there MegaaBite,

Thanks for the reply. I'm sorry to hear about the issue with the external drive and Xbox One console.

I recommend to try:

1. Remove and then reconnect the storage device.
    2. Connect the device to a different USB port on the console.
    3. Power cycle your console:
      1. Press the power button on the front of the console for about 10 seconds.
      2. Turn on the console again, and then see if it detects the external drive.
    4. Soft Factory reset to help refresh the operating system.

Try this out and let us know the results.
  6. Hordie Win User

Tons of problems with my Xbox. I think its dying.

You can unplug the drive, then do a factory reset (deleting data). You don't need to format the drive just yet. I'm suggesting the following.

1. Unplug the external drive

2. factory reset deleting data

3. Re-download your profile

4. Install games to the Xbox without plugging the external drive back in.

5. test (Do not plug in the external drive till you know it either works fine or doesn't work).

This will tell if there is something wrong with the data on the external drive or Xbox. I would imagine this is just a bad file or cache somewhere. After you've verified it does or does not work, you can plug the drive in. If it doesn't work with the drive
    plugged in, then format the drive and reinstall your games to it.
Thema:

1. Xbox 1 External Drive results in reset - Similar Threads - External Drive results

2. External Hard Drive not access content

in XBoX on Consoles
    External Hard Drive not access content: After an update (Aug 2019) my Xbox One stopped showing my ext hard drive. I could move it to another USB port and I could see the content but it would not access the content. I tried all the power...
  3. Xbox One S - external SDD drive

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox One S - external SDD drive: Hello, I'm currently looking for an external SSD drive to improve load times on my Xbox One S. I've checked the official support guide to buy a compatible drive and I found these two pages...
  4. External hard drives

in XBoX Accessibility
    External hard drives: I have an extra hard drive that went plugged in. It says. 2 week to connect. Does anybody know how to fix this? dbbec804-7d79-48ce-ac49-e268a9cea063
  5. Games automatically deleted from external drive

in XBoX on Consoles
    Games automatically deleted from external drive: I like to transfer and keep all games stored on an external drive and the internal drive free, however, Doom 3 for example i downloaded to the internal drive, copied over to the external drive,...
  6. Updating Installed Games on an External Hard Drive for Xbox One

in XBoX on Windows
    Updating Installed Games on an External Hard Drive for Xbox One: Kind of an unusual situation, but I live rural and so my data per month is somewhat limited. A large game update can take up a huge chunk of my available bandwidth for a given month, nevermind a...
  7. External Hard Drive

in XBoX on Consoles
    External Hard Drive: Hello All, I recently bought a second xbox one so that me and someone else can play online games together. I attached my external hard drive to my previous xbox and copied a game onto that...
  8. Xbox One S and External Drive - Some folders show as Empty (even though they have files in...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox One S and External Drive - Some folders show as Empty (even though they have files in...: I'm trying to resolve a rather bizarre issue. I have an external drive (an 8TB MyBook) plugged into my Xbox One S via a USB port. There are two sub-folders in particular, Season for a TV show,...
  9. Need help with external hard drive.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Need help with external hard drive.: Bought a Seagate 2tb hard drive. I've formatted and currently using it on my xbox one to play games. For some apparent reason it isnt letting me download games it says to download on to xbox. I...
  10. The latest update might have bricked my external hard drive

in XboX Insiders
    The latest update might have bricked my external hard drive: On Friday when I was gaming, I was prompt to do the update so I did and just went to bed since it was really late. Come the next day, my hard drive wasn’t being picked up by the Xbox so I thought...