Xbox 1 External Drive results in reset

Discus and support Xbox 1 External Drive results in reset in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; My Xbox One just started force resetting out of nowhere. I figured out that it only does it with the external drive, that I have had for over a year... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by ChrisDuffield1, May 16, 2019.

1. Xbox 1 External Drive results in reset

My Xbox One just started force resetting out of nowhere. I figured out that it only does it with the external drive, that I have had for over a year now, is connected. Whenever I connect it with the system started it locks up the system completely.
    Bad drive or possibly cable maybe? Thanks!

:)

ChrisDuffield1, May 16, 2019
  2. Alucario Ultra Win User

3. Teh FireFox Win User

It sounds like it could be a corrupted file on the External Drive, If your system is resetting when the drive is plugged in, you might need to wipe the HDD and let your xbox reformat it.
  4. Reklaw X Win User

My xbox was doing something very similar when I had an external that wasnt even 3 months old, turns out the hdd was bad and died on me a couple days later
  5. XBF Crystal P Win User

repeated "External storage ready for use"

Hi there MegaaBite,

Thanks for the reply. I'm sorry to hear about the issue with the external drive and Xbox One console.

I recommend to try:

1. Remove and then reconnect the storage device.
    2. Connect the device to a different USB port on the console.
    3. Power cycle your console:
      1. Press the power button on the front of the console for about 10 seconds.
      2. Turn on the console again, and then see if it detects the external drive.
    4. Soft Factory reset to help refresh the operating system.

Try this out and let us know the results.
  6. Hordie Win User

Tons of problems with my Xbox. I think its dying.

You can unplug the drive, then do a factory reset (deleting data). You don't need to format the drive just yet. I'm suggesting the following.

1. Unplug the external drive

2. factory reset deleting data

3. Re-download your profile

4. Install games to the Xbox without plugging the external drive back in.

5. test (Do not plug in the external drive till you know it either works fine or doesn't work).

This will tell if there is something wrong with the data on the external drive or Xbox. I would imagine this is just a bad file or cache somewhere. After you've verified it does or does not work, you can plug the drive in. If it doesn't work with the drive
    plugged in, then format the drive and reinstall your games to it.
Thema:

1. Xbox 1 External Drive results in reset - Similar Threads - External Drive results

2. Xbox service to copy games onto new external hard drive

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox service to copy games onto new external hard drive: My external hard drive that I used to store my Xbox One games stop working and I am going to replace it. My question is there a Xbox service where I can send Microsoft my external hard drive and...
  3. Xbox one wont recognize external hard drive anymore.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox one wont recognize external hard drive anymore.: A while back, (6 months maybe), my xbox started displaying an error message "external storage detected but usb signal is too weak, please make sure its the correct type of usb cable"... I had been...
  4. External hard drive question time!.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    External hard drive question time!.: I am using 1TB external drive for games and 4TB for video. And have no problems at all. Last 2 years. But good idea from your side :) keep it up f8efca78-c04d-4739-a77c-d4f4675e29c6
  5. Xbox one not letting me choose my external NTFS drive as a capture location

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox one not letting me choose my external NTFS drive as a capture location: Got an external drive formatted to NTFS to record gameplay, but my xbox one isn't allowing me to choose it as a capture location. When I plug it in the xbox pops up with [external media storage...
  6. My External hard drive reboots my xbox while connected to it.

in XBoX on Consoles
    My External hard drive reboots my xbox while connected to it.: Recently after installing Fallout 4, Borderlands 2, and the pre sequel on to my external hard drive (which is a 2 TB Seagate with the Xbox logo) my xbox one runs in to an issue where while it is...
  7. Xbox one game crash and external drive notifies as ready

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox one game crash and external drive notifies as ready: Hi. Have been using a wd 1tb hdd as an external drive for over a year on an xbox one without issued. The games have now started crashing and the notification ‘external drive ready’ shows up. I...
  8. Can't play video from external usb drive. [Error Code: 0xc00d11cd (0x80070001)]

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Can't play video from external usb drive. [Error Code: 0xc00d11cd (0x80070001)]: I'm trying to watch movies that I have on my Seagate 8gb External Desktop Drive. I've recently passed the 2gb in the amount of data stored, and it seems that anything I put on it now cannot be...
  9. External Hard Drives for the Xbox One

in XBoX on Consoles
    External Hard Drives for the Xbox One: I have a question for those who are smarter at this than I am. I have one of the original Xbox One systems. To be precise, when HALO came out, I purchased the Xbox One Master Chief Edition. I...
  10. XBOX One external hard drive keeps spinning up and down every minute

in XBoX on Consoles
    XBOX One external hard drive keeps spinning up and down every minute: I'm having the same exact issue that this person posted in this thread that was started a month ago that was for some reason considered "old" and then locked with no resolution: The external HDD...