Xbox 360 Controller Connecting to a Windows 10 Laptop

Discus and support Xbox 360 Controller Connecting to a Windows 10 Laptop in XBoX on Windows to solve the problem; I want to connect my old Xbox 360 controller to my laptop. The controller itself is wireless. I know I can purchase the wireless receiver but I want to... Discussion in 'XBoX on Windows' started by TWalker3, Oct 28, 2018.

1. TWalker3
    TWalker3 Guest

I want to connect my old Xbox 360 controller to my laptop. The controller itself is wireless. I know I can purchase the wireless receiver but I want to know if I could use a controller charging cable, that connects to my controller and has a USB connection
    at the opposite end, and connect that to my PC and it would work fine.

Thanks for any responses.

:)

TWalker3, Oct 28, 2018
  2. Optical10
    Optical10 Guest
    Xbox One controller broken by Windows Anniversary Update

My Xbox elite controller just stopped working yesterday on a recently purchased laptop but already had the anniversary update on it so I can't roll back to the previous version of Windows 10.

I've noticed now that in the device and printer section of the Control Panel I've got a Xbox 360 controller for Windows entry which isn't present on another version of Windows 10 install on my desktop PC so this laptop now has two entries the elite controller
    and the Xbox 360 controller in Control Panel.If I disabled the Xbox 360 controller entry I get functionality on the elite controller but on a restart Windows the 360 controller reappears in Control Panel and in device manager.

Strange thing that for a week since I've had this new laptop everything was working fine in, now steam doesn't recognise the elite controller and windows hasn't done an update so how's this happened?

Optical10, Oct 28, 2018
  3. GmOasis
    GmOasis Guest
    Windows 10 automatically installs driver and pair with an Xbox One Wireless Controller

Hi. my windows 10 and xbox one wireless controller are updated. same issue cant connect wirelessly and windows pairs even when my controller is turned off/not even plugged to laptop. Xbox 360 Controller Connecting to a Windows 10 Laptop :(

GmOasis, Oct 28, 2018
  4. XBF Ezra G
    XBF Ezra G Guest

Hi TWalker3,

Thanks for your post. This is completely possible, just be sure to use the correct Xbox 360 Controller USB cable. Here's a guide on how to use it:

How to set up an Xbox 360 Controller for Windows

Let us know how this goes, thanks again.

XBF Ezra G, Oct 28, 2018
  5. TWalker3
    TWalker3 Guest
    TWalker3, Oct 28, 2018
  6. ChiefJoboo
    ChiefJoboo Guest
    The Play and Charge kit for xbox 360 does NOT allow you to use the controller as wired on a PC. It only transfers power and not data.

To use the xbox 360 wireless controller with a PC you will need the wireless adapter for windows or buy a purely wired USB xbox 360 controller (the kind that you can't take the cable out).

ChiefJoboo, Oct 28, 2018
  7. Ackis
    Ackis Guest
    You can get the wireless adapters pretty cheap on the secondary market I believe.

Ackis, Oct 28, 2018
  8. Xbox 360 Controller Connecting to a Windows 10 Laptop

Hi,

Sorry bit there is no 'correct 360 controller cable'.

A 360 wireless controller remains wireless even when plugged in, it does not become wired if you connect via USB. The reason is because the controller isn't designed to send data down a USB cable.

Only the Xbox One controller works wired and wireless.

Obsessive Power, Oct 28, 2018
  9. Spazpol
    Spazpol Guest
    The above are correct, the only way to connect a wireless controller is through the 360 wireless USB adapter, otherwise you would have to use a wired Xbox 360 controller. That will also connect without the wireless. The play and charge will not all ow
    the USB connection.

Spazpol, Nov 5, 2018
  10. Wishcatcher Win User

Xbox one controller not connected?

Hi,

I think your laptop is connected on the wifi… and maybe your Xbox too.

To get 100% working streamer use ONLY ethernet cable for both.

Please read this > https://support.xbox.com/games/game-setup/how-to-use-game-streaming

About your controller not connected ,use a usb cable to connect it on your laptop, and follow this to setup the controller correctly with the lastest update on the Windows 10 laptop > https://support.xbox.com/xbox-on-windows/accessories/how-to-update-xbox-one-controller-windows-10

Regards,
  11. Optical10 Win User

Xbox One controller broken by Windows Anniversary Update

My Xbox elite controller just stopped working yesterday on a recently purchased laptop but already had the anniversary update on it so I can't roll back to the previous version of Windows 10.

I've noticed now that in the device and printer section of the Control Panel I've got a Xbox 360 controller for Windows entry which isn't present on another version of Windows 10 install on my desktop PC so this laptop now has two entries the elite controller
    and the Xbox 360 controller in Control Panel.If I disabled the Xbox 360 controller entry I get functionality on the elite controller but on a restart Windows the 360 controller reappears in Control Panel and in device manager.

Strange thing that for a week since I've had this new laptop everything was working fine in, now steam doesn't recognise the elite controller and windows hasn't done an update so how's this happened?
  12. GmOasis Win User

Windows 10 automatically installs driver and pair with an Xbox One Wireless Controller

Hi. my windows 10 and xbox one wireless controller are updated. same issue cant connect wirelessly and windows pairs even when my controller is turned off/not even plugged to laptop. :(
  13. jacevedom Win User

Xbox 360 SmartGlass not working

Same issue as the rest of you. I am trying to connect using Windows 10 laptop (version 1709 and connected ehternet) and Windows 10 Surface (versión 1709 and connected wifi). My Xbox 360 is connected to the internet via Ethernet. The 360 Smartglass
    app will bring up my profile but will not connect to my Xbox 360 (console settings allows for Smartglass connectivity)
  14. Internet Expert Win User

Couldn't pair with xbox wireless controller because of an incorrect pin or passkey

The Xbox One S controller's bluetooth functionality is not supported for smartphones of any kind.

The only official drivers for the controller were released for Windows 10, meaning you will need a laptop or desktop (with BT connectivity) running a fully updated Windows 10 installation.
Thema:

1. Xbox 360 Controller Connecting to a Windows 10 Laptop - Similar Threads - 360 Controller Connecting

2. cant connect xbox 360 controller to windows via USB

in XBoX Accessibility
    cant connect xbox 360 controller to windows via USB: i cant connect xbox 360 controller to my laptop via USB, the wire is new and it works on Xbox 360 console and i have the latest windows 10 installed (1903). i have tried methods in xbox site but...
  3. WIreless Xbox 360 controller won't connect to Windows 10 PC

in XBoX on Windows
    WIreless Xbox 360 controller won't connect to Windows 10 PC: Title. I have the new adapter. The USB port is powered, and Settings recognizes that I have an Xbox wireless controller installed. I can remove but not update that, so I assume the driver is...
  4. Can you connect this Xbox 360 controller to a PC?

in XBoX on Windows
    Can you connect this Xbox 360 controller to a PC?: I'm trying to connect this Xbox 360 controller to my PC (Windows 10) but it doesn't seem to work. My other controller is also wired and works fine. I am a bit of a noob at this sort of stuff so...
  5. Xbox 360 No green power ring, Controllers wont connect.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 No green power ring, Controllers wont connect.: Turn my xbox 360 on, runs fine, loads the game fine, but there's no green ring on the power button. Its colorless and I cant connect any controllers, wired and wireless. Any clue on what could be...
  6. Xbox 360 wireless controller blinks twice and do not connect

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 wireless controller blinks twice and do not connect: Kontroler z 360 blyska 2 razy i nie łączy? Co zrobić [Translation - The controller from 360 flash 2 times and does not connect? What to do] e8dc6dab-034a-49e7-9a52-97743e066bd0
  7. Xbox 360 Controller to PC Connection???

in XBoX on Windows
    Xbox 360 Controller to PC Connection???: I have attempted to plug in my Xbox 360 controller into my PC. However, the system says, "Unkown Device: Driver is Unavailable". I have 4 ports on my PC for USB and all result in the same message...
  8. Connecting your Xbox 360 controller to your mobile with a bluetooth

in XBoX on Mobile
    Connecting your Xbox 360 controller to your mobile with a bluetooth: Hey, I was wondering how exactly I'm supposed to connect my Xbox 360 controller to my Samsung Galaxy S8. 7d2a7f8f-cfa3-4426-9ea6-2050fe9ea88d
  9. Xbox 360 controller not connected on PC

in XBoX on Windows
    Xbox 360 controller not connected on PC: I recently bought a xbox 360 controller. When I plugged it into my laptop, windows 10 noticed a new device. When I use game controller tester, the app found no controller. When I opened device...
  10. I cannot connect my xbox 360 controllers to my pc

in XBoX on Windows
    I cannot connect my xbox 360 controllers to my pc: I have a 2 in 1 charge and play while charging power lead but I cannot get my pc to recognise that the controllers are connected. I have followed all the steps on the microsoft and xbox websites,...