Xbox 360 Game Controller Not Detected by Windows 10 - Lights Up But Doesn't Pick Up on Some...

Discus and support Xbox 360 Game Controller Not Detected by Windows 10 - Lights Up But Doesn't Pick Up on Some... in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hello all! I only recently got a wired Xbox 360 gaming controller to use on my Windows 10 laptop and PC when playing certain games - I plugged it in... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Default__648, Jul 1, 2022.

1. Default__648
    Default__648 Guest

Xbox 360 Game Controller Not Detected by Windows 10 - Lights Up But Doesn't Pick Up on Some...

Hello all!

I only recently got a wired Xbox 360 gaming controller to use on my Windows 10 laptop and PC when playing certain games - I plugged it in initially and everything worked fine (player one light quadrant was on, driver auto installed, everything was responsive) and I had a few hours of gaming with no issues.

However, randomly the xbox cntroller stopped responding (no inputs worked at all) and the light quadrants changed to 1 and 4 light up.

I was very confused (a new 360 wired controller, after a few hours of use was no longer working!).

I then proceeded to unplug the USB controller, wait a few moments, and plug it back in. Unfortunately it lit up the player 1 and 4 quadrant again and wouldn't give any inputs to the game.

I checked device manager and the xbox 360 controller wouldn't show up. I tried replugging into the other USB port (both are 3.0 type ports) byt got the same results!

I am very very confused as to why this has happened, I have yet to fix this issue, but here is everything I have worked through so far.

• Hidden Devices on Device Manager (it showed up with a Code 45 error - devive not dected).
    • I have tried uninstalling the driver (didn't change anything, I can't redownload or install the xbox 360 games controller driver as it isn't available on the xbox/Microsoft website as a download and it won't pick up the controller to auto install it).
    • I tried plugging it into all other USB ports on my laptop (all do the same thing - light up 1 and 4 quadrant with no repsonse).
    • Held in the central Xbox button for 6s+ and nothing happens. There are also no other buttons to try switching that could reset it or send a signal.
    • Plugged the controller into another laptop (and here is the weird part - it picked it up straight away! The controller was usable and every axis and button was picked up on the games controller properties - just like my laptop originally did when I plugged it in for the very first time (before it stopped working)! However, when I then plugged it into the other ports on this other laptop (USB 2.0 ports) they all throw up the same error (code 45) and 1 and 4 quadrants light up with no response, exact same problem I have in my 3.0 ports on my laptop.
    • All other USB devices I have tried (USB mouse, keyboard, wireless mouse and keyboard, Logitech G29 wheel all work fine in the USB ports).
    • Have tried dskchk, sfc, imagw, etc in admin mode CMD (as recommended on a lot of online guides) with no success.
    • Tried uninstalling, reinstalling, updating and disabling USB ports.
    • Tried restarting the laptop many times.
    • All Windows Updates have been installed and am on the latest version.
    • Both laptops tested are running the latest version of Windows 10.
    Occasionally during all this there were a couple of times the controllers lights went off, or all 4 quadrants lit up.

So I am stumped on this one,

The controller still works fine on another laptop in one specific port, so it can't be that the controller is faulty. (I also do not have an xbox to try plugging into to see if that works).

It's also not my laptop specifically as I can replicate the issue on other (unrelated) laptops and other USB devices work on my laptop just fine (plus all drivers for the USB ports are up to date and freshly installed).

So I have ran out of things to try. If anyone has any other suggestions or solutions I would love to try them out and will keep you posted if I find a solution!

Thanks!

TBR

:)

Default__648, Jul 1, 2022
  2. JosefLBohorquez Win User

Xbox 360 Game Controller Not Detected by Windows 10 - Lights Up But Doesn't Pick Up on Some Devices

Thanks for the feedback TBR

Yeah, I'm thinking is a control issue now
    Could be an issue with the USB connector on it

Waiting for the best!
  3. Default__648 Win User

Xbox 360 Game Controller Not Detected by Windows 10 - Lights Up But Doesn't Pick Up on Some Devices

Hello Josef! Thanks for the suggestions.

I tried all that applied to me, but it hasn't made a difference, I am on Windows 10 already so no need to downgrade from Windows 11.

However, after doing nothing with my laptop or controller overnight, I plugged it in the morning and it randomly started working again for about 45 mins, at which point it started disconnecting and reconnecting randomly and is still doing so.

I'm quite confused and feel like it must be something to do with the controller, but the fact it worked on another laptop the other day (and I could even replicate the issue on that other laptop) had me confused.

I'll keep posted if I find some complete solution, but so far the only thing that worked was turning off my laptop for 8 hours overnight and then turning it back on again (despite the fact I had already tried many time and ways, turning it off and on again).

Thanks again for the ideas!

TBR
  4. JosefLBohorquez Win User

Hi and thanks for reaching Microsoft Xbox gamer's community. My name is Josef.

I'm an Independent Advisor and a Microsoft Xbox user like you.

Hope you're doing great today TheBlockRoomYT

Well, basically you almost tried everything, I can suggest you couple things more

But if the issue persists I think it's an issue with the controller:

1. Try uninstalling the most recent windows update, just in case it is the one that is causing conflicts

2. If you're on Windows 11, downgrade to 10 and try again. Or do the opposite case if you're able to upgrade to 11.

For these 2 options you can find detailed steps here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/rec...

3. Perform an in-place upgrade for your system and see if that makes the trick:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

If you're on windows 11, steps are the same, you just need Windows 11 ISO:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-downlo...
  5. João PedroCorreia N Win User

XBOX 360 Controller not working/detected in Forza Horizon 4

Hi all, I hooked up the XBOX 360 controller with the wireless gaming receiver on my computer. I can play all the games with the controller, but the controller doesn't working/detected in Forza Horizon 4. The
    light is lit and appears to be connected to the receiver, but in the Forza Horizon 4 it is just don't detected, in other games its ok. How can I solve the problem?
    I have the same problem. After windows 2004 update I installed the xbox 360 driver and it works in all games, except forza horizon 4... What should we do?

I have the exact same situation, the light turns on, works in all games, and forza doesn't detect it. I hate play with keyboard. I hope we will be able to play with xbox 360 controller.

Thanks in advance
  6. DrifterX22 Win User

cant connect xbox 360 controller to windows via USB

How to set up an Xbox 360 Controller for Windows

Set up a wired controller on Windows 10

Follow these steps to install your Xbox 360 wired controller on Windows 10:

1. Plug the Xbox 360 controller into any USB 2.0 or 3.0 port on the computer.
    2. Windows 10 will automatically install drivers for your controller, so you won't have to download or install software other than Windows 10 updates. Once you see the pop-up notification that the drivers have been installed, you can use your controller.
    3. Open a game or the Xbox app and test your controller by pressing a button, pulling a trigger, or moving a stick on the controller.
    Notes

• If your Xbox 360 wired controller is not detected by your PC, try plugging it into a different USB port, and then test it again.
    • If your controller still does not work, check that Windows 10 is fully updated. Install any updates and then try again.
    • Refer to your game documentation for information about how to configure the Xbox 360 controller for a specific game
Thema:

1. Xbox 360 Game Controller Not Detected by Windows 10 - Lights Up But Doesn't Pick Up on Some... - Similar Threads - 360 Game Controller

2. Xbox 360 Wireless Gaming Receiver (PC adapter for 360 wireless controller)

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox 360 Wireless Gaming Receiver (PC adapter for 360 wireless controller): All, I looked for hours online and spoke with MS online chat to find the Windows 10 driver for the Xbox 360 wireless controller PC adapter (proper name in subject line). I would plug in the PC...
  3. Controllers Not Having A “Start” Button For 360 Games

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Controllers Not Having A “Start” Button For 360 Games: Hello; I’ve recently looked through and found some of my old XBOX 360 games and found some of the Lego games, in this instance I’m using Lego DC Batman 2. So, I’m on XBOX 1 with old 360 games and...
  4. Xbox 360 controller won't work after starting a game PC

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 controller won't work after starting a game PC: I had this controller for a long while, untill recently a few weeks ago i started having this issue. Everytime i start a game, the controller won't budge at all or it will stop working after a...
  5. can I use 360 controler with this gaming system

in XBoX Games and Apps
    can I use 360 controler with this gaming system: can I use my X Box 360 controler on this gaming systim cb5ea043-a460-4d6b-85e2-918c792f5215
  6. My Xbox 360 PC controller turns off any time a game would send a vibration signal - even...

in XBoX on Consoles
    My Xbox 360 PC controller turns off any time a game would send a vibration signal - even...: I noticed this issue last month, after not playing any PC games that would use a controller for over a month. My controller just kept randomly and constantly disconnecting during gameplay. At...
  7. Cloud gaming on XBOX 360 controller

in XboX Insiders
    Cloud gaming on XBOX 360 controller: Hello, I have an XBOX 360 DUALSHOCK controller which I'm connecting to my PC through Wireless Reciever. Obviously, Xbox app does not read it as a connected controller and I can't play via cloud...
  8. Xbox 360 controller not working with Xbox Cloud Gaming.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 controller not working with Xbox Cloud Gaming.: I have an Xbox 360 controller connected by USB to a Windows 10 PC. Edition Windows 10 Pro, Version 20H2, OS build 19042.1237 The controller shows up in Device Manager and appears to be working...
  9. Xbox 360 Controller , cant use it in any game

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox 360 Controller , cant use it in any game: can i use an xbox 360 controller in any game , like Brawlhalla , GeForce Now , Minecraft , Roblox ... i tried to reinstall the graphic and anyth with USB and nothing , can someone explain or help...
  10. Xbox 360 Wired Controller for PC Cloud Gaming

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox 360 Wired Controller for PC Cloud Gaming: Is it even possible to play with Xbox 360 Controller on PC? I was trying to play Fallout 76, but it seems like website doesn't even detect it submitted by /u/sleever_ [link] [comments]