Xbox 360 Overheating Only When Playing DVDs

Discus and support Xbox 360 Overheating Only When Playing DVDs in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hello all. It's spring time here in New England and the weather is warming up and becoming humid, and I'm discovering a new problem with my Xbox. I... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by xM14thom91x, May 25, 2014.

1. xM14thom91x
    xM14thom91x Guest

Hello all. It's spring time here in New England and the weather is warming up and becoming humid, and I'm discovering a new problem with my Xbox. I purchased it the Christmas of 2013, so it's one of the last generations of the 360. Recently (within the past
    week) It sits on end with the disc tray on the top and the power button below. I've found it to start overheating while playing DVDs. They play just fine for about an hour, to an hour and fifteen minutes, then the movies start to freeze up. I notice there
    is some rather warm, though not hot per-say, coming from all the vents on the system. I put the Xbox on a couple of small wooden blocks, so there is a two inch gap below it and the dresser it's sitting on, but the problem persists. I have no problem while
    doing anything else; honestly, it doesn't even really warm up when playing games via disc or hard drive, browsing Youtube or using Netflix. Is there something going on here that I can fix? I'm not sure if it's dust or not. If it is, is there a way to clean
    it out without voiding the warranty? Thanks for any help and suggestions!

:)

xM14thom91x, May 25, 2014
  2. FergusLowe
    FergusLowe Guest
    No Audio when playing DVD and using HDMI cable to connect console to TV

Brand new Xbox 360 250GB, came with a Scart connector cable, which seems to work fine. However, when I replaced this with a HDMI cable, there is no audio when playing a DVD. Seems OK when gaming, so only DVD. Help please.

FergusLowe, May 25, 2014
  3. GHWT overheating, 2 reds in the ring..***?

Ok, my kids are on their 2nd ghwt dvd. It does it too. When playing, it gives 2 reds in the ring (from what i've read that means overheating). Not one of my games has ever done this. The xbox is clean, in a spaceful area, etc etc. Any suggestions? We've had the 360 for a lil over a year, and it's been played heavily on and off. Call of duty 4 and waw for example for hours on end.

Any help would be great...Thanks!

Regards,
    ss4f

soldsoul4foos, May 25, 2014
  4. Auswulf Win User

Destiny on Xbox 360 20 GB System

No doubt the xbox 360 edition will run perfectly from the disk if you choose to play it on an old Xbox 360. Might be abit taxing for the old Xbox 360. There are reports of current new release games crashing the old school 360 consoles. Overheating and dvd
    drive wear is a possibility.
  5. Ov3rB00st Win User

Scraping sound via toslink (fiberoptic) cable when playing DVD

This only happens when i play dvd with this particular cable. thats the strange part of it. when i play dvd = scrape, games = perfect, movies from usb flash = perfect. only from dvd. is it the xbox's codecs or something that stopping it from play sound from
    dvd? :)
  6. x Cez x Win User

[Xbox 360 S] No sound, but only when playing DVDs

I would suggest it is a software problem rather than a hardware problem, as you have probably already gathered!

I would contact customer support, you can get the number from the second link in my signature!
  7. Tony4Lisa Win User

Change your tv settings. Menu sound then sound mode= dual II digital output = compressed. Hope it helps.
  8. Misses Joust Win User

G'day Bob! Sorry to hear about the DVD frustrations and thanks for coming to the forum. Let's see about bringing back that audio.

Just to make sure I comprehend, so far you've tried multiple DVDs, cables, and tv ports. Yes?

Here are some more tricks to try:

Let us know the results from trying these! If they don't fully solve the audio issue, then they'll help us get on the right track toward finding the root cause and a working solution.
Thema:

1. Xbox 360 Overheating Only When Playing DVDs - Similar Threads - 360 Overheating Playing

2. Xbox 360 S overheating issues...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox 360 S overheating issues...: Lately my boyfriend and I have been having issues with our Xbox 360 S. 90% of the time when he plays Battlefield 4 the Xbox will shut off, and the power brick will display the red light. This...
  3. Xbox 360 overheating

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 overheating: Hello, I have a Xbox360 is acting weird. 3 years ago I got this Xbox 360 for christmas, flashforward 3 years and several month my Xbox started acting weird. It would turn on and off or even open...
  4. Xbox 360 E Overheating

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 E Overheating: My Xbox 360 is consistently overheating. The console sits in a wooden crate with several open slots so I do not believe ventilation is an issue. It is in a very dusty room and I have attempted to...
  5. Xbox 360 losing sound and showing green static overlay - overheating?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 losing sound and showing green static overlay - overheating?: Hi all, the title says it all. My Xbox 360 Elite decided to cut the sound and give me some faint green static on top of the game I was playing earlier (GTA V). It happened about an hour and 45...
  6. Xbox 360 Arcade Overheating

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 Arcade Overheating: My Xbox 360 Arcade has been overheating lately. I bought it used in 2009 and have taken good care of it. The console is on a wooden coffee table and has plenty of space around it. I have an...
  7. Xbox 360 power supply overheating

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 power supply overheating: So my power supply overheats within 5 to 10 minutes and shuts off my 360 while displaying a red light. When this first started several months ago, I could have a strong fan blowing on it and keep...
  8. Xbox 360 S Overheating and Freezing

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 S Overheating and Freezing: Hey, guys! I'm having a small problem here. My Xbox 360 S is severely overheating and is freezing. It has a portable fan pointed at the top and the room has the AC going at 70 degrees (f). Right...
  9. 360 Slim Overheating?

in XBoX on Consoles
    360 Slim Overheating?: I'm having issues with my 360 slim. I get the error message that the system is shutting down due to overheating, however the console and power source are not hot when it happens. The system is...
  10. 360 Slim overheating, warranty over

in XBoX on Consoles
    360 Slim overheating, warranty over: So i bought my 360 S when they first came out, 250gb, and recently started shutting down to prevent damage from overheating. Turns on for about 5 mins and shuts down again. I looked up what I...