Xbox 360 starts reading disc then says open tray , why can't the 360 read disc?

Discus and support Xbox 360 starts reading disc then says open tray , why can't the 360 read disc? in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; My Xbox 360 when I load disc it starts reading then says open tray, why won't the 360 read any disc? e28561b2-8542-43d3-8a7e-44455af5b8bd Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by robertherckenrath, Dec 27, 2021.

1. Xbox 360 starts reading disc then says open tray , why can't the 360 read disc?

My Xbox 360 when I load disc it starts reading then says open tray, why won't the 360 read any disc?

:)

robertherckenrath, Dec 27, 2021
  2. Jesse E' Win User

Hello, My name is Jesse. I'm an Independent Advisor and a member of the Microsoft community and I'd love to assist you today.

Kindly check this guide on how to troubleshoot Xbox 360 disc drive errors https://support.xbox.com/en-US/help/hardware-ne...
  3. Obsessive Power Win User

Hi,

Unfortunately this is a common fault with consoles of this age. Even an Xbox 360E - the last model of the Xbox 360 console range - would be knocking on nearly 10 years now. I suspect yours is probably even older.

The optical drive has a laser and these will fail at some point, there's no stopping this, it's simple wear and tear. You insert the game disc, the console attempts to read the disc, but fails and says 'Open Tray'. It says Open Tray because the console can't read discs (it thinks there is nothing there) and it can't read it because the laser has failed.

Microsoft no longer repairs Xbox 360 consoles. So to get this fixed you'll need an alternative solution (we don't allow discussions regarding self repairs here). Or buy another second hand Xbox 360 console.
  4. RickyRays Win User

4 Years Old Xbox 360 Possibly Dusty/Dirty?

The Disc Drive Solution Didn't Help.The Xbox 360 at first made a small circle scratch around the inner ring of the disc however it does not affect the the disc as it works fine. The past year all my disc sometimes went unreadable.(more often on certain disc)
    The past few months the xbox 360 started to say open tray to every game I played however after reopening for 5 minutes or less it worked. Now this month it started to take 30 minutes of reopening for the tray to work. Then it took 1 entire day of reopening
    to work. Now it its been a week of reopening and it doesn't work. Im assuming its not going to read if its been a week. However when it reads the disc I can hear the certain noises like the fan and everything indicating its spinning and reading. However when
    it can't read it seems like the laser is making this light swishing/swissing noise is all I can describe it. It goes open tray sometimes unrecognised disc or play DVD. When it did read my games however when I reset my console it wouldn't be able to read again
    and go open tray which I had to repeat opening the tray.
  5. EXShadow Ninja Win User

Gears of war 3 Disc issues?

if you have an old xbox 360 then sorry to say but its time to buy a new one, old xbox's have isues reading new game formats due to wear and tear, that will be why your xbox will be saying unrecognizable disc or open tray
  6. IceStorm III Win User

Took 6 attempts to open my disc drive today!

[quote user="Rob31shred"]So I turned my 360 on & hit the "open tray" tile. The 360 makes noises like it's trying to eject the tray but it never pops open[/quote]If your issue is that the drive door does not open (and not that the disc in the tray cannot
    be read) then the problem is probably a stretched or dirty Small Square Belt.
Thema:

1. Xbox 360 starts reading disc then says open tray , why can't the 360 read disc? - Similar Threads - 360 starts reading

2. Xbox 360 games won't start on Xbox Series S

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox 360 games won't start on Xbox Series S: Hello folks, since I've started using my new Xbox Series S console, I am unable to play my purchased Xbox 360 games. In particular, I can't start Lego Indiana Jones, Lego Indiana Jones 2 and...
  3. Unable to make purchases or start downloads on my Xbox 360 Elite console store or on my...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Unable to make purchases or start downloads on my Xbox 360 Elite console store or on my...: I recently bought a used Xbox 360 Elite, and up until yesterday I was able to buy games and download them from the Game Store on the console. On Oct 6, at around 10-11pm, I added $60.00 to my...
  4. Xbox 360 Default storage for savegames (removing the prompt at the game start)

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 Default storage for savegames (removing the prompt at the game start): Hello. I have a problem with my xbox 360. I activated a cloud savegame storage but then decided that I dont want to use it and turned it off. Now game at every start up asks me to choose storage...
  5. My wired Xbox controller is not working to start my new Xbox 360 or to initialize it once I...

in XBoX on Consoles
    My wired Xbox controller is not working to start my new Xbox 360 or to initialize it once I...: I I just bought a refurbished Xbox 360 from Amazon. I had to buy the controller and all the cables to hook it up separately. I ended up having to buy a wired old style wired controller.. it's not...
  6. Xbox 360 E Starting Error

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 E Starting Error: Hello! First off, thanks to anyone who takes the time to respond. I was messing around on my Xbox 360 e and saw that there was an update for Xbox Live. I signed in and tried to update, which...
  7. Xbox 360 games are freezing up on the start up screen

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox 360 games are freezing up on the start up screen: I have game pass and tend to play a few older games. Well when I try and s start up an old 360 game digitally downloaded. The game of start in the Xbox startup screen will come up and it will...
  8. xbox 360 e broken still starts up but all the files are corupted

in XBoX on Consoles
    xbox 360 e broken still starts up but all the files are corupted: my xbox 360 e i got from my papa in 2015 it broke about 2 years later it would start up but wouldnt load my xbox profile i started it up a couple months ago and i thought that it would work and it...
  9. Can’t sign into my 360 live. My Xbox one works fine. Seams to have started after I got...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can’t sign into my 360 live. My Xbox one works fine. Seams to have started after I got...: I cant sign i to my 360 anymore. My xbone works fine ive tried all the fixes turned off 2 step authentication. Shortened password. Reset my 360 i dont know what to do....
  10. Start function not working on Xbox 360

in XBoX on Consoles
    Start function not working on Xbox 360: Hi, I know it's a dated console. But I can't press start on my 360 (using and controller or the remote) My games load up but I can't press start to continue. I've checked online and can't see the...