Xbox 360 will not recognise Ethernet Cable

Discus and support Xbox 360 will not recognise Ethernet Cable in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I have just bought a new Xbox 360 (S version I believe) to replace my 360 Pro console, which I have passed to my son. Anyway, using exactly the same... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by BarnyBarnacle, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Xbox 360 will not recognise Ethernet Cable

I have just bought a new Xbox 360 (S version I believe) to replace my 360 Pro console, which I have passed to my son. Anyway, using exactly the same Netgear DGN2000 Modem router that I log into xbox live with on the old console, My new console will not discover
    the Ethernet cable from it consistently. When it does recognise an Ethernet cable sometimes, the connection constantly switches between wired and wifi and either will not allow me to connect to live or drops me off XBL seconds after I connect. Now, I want
    a wired connection, that is why I am going to the trouble of posting on this thread. I have searched different threads from forums around the net and found quite a few with the same issue but no resolution to the problem.

So...my Old Xbox 360 pro can still connect through this modem.

My new console can connect through wifi. (But I don't want to use wifi)

I have ensured the Ethernet cable is plugged in correctly and seated with a click.

I have checked there are no obstructions or bent contacts in the Ethernet port on the console.

I have tried various Ethernet cables that all work with the old console and computers.

I have tried different router ports.

I have tried port forwarding.

I have reformatted the hard drive thinking I may have stuffed something up during initial setup.

When I use an even older modem (D-Link DSL-504T) I can connect with my new s Console but lose wifi in my house.

I have returned my new console to place of purchase for an exchange, thinking it was faulty (but pretty sure it is not, now) as exchanged unit has the same problem.

Since the first posting of this thread I have also, Cleared the cache in the xbox a half dozen times, done a factory reset on the modem and reset it up and retried to connect through Ethernet without the old xbox connected as well and with it. It does not
    seem to make a difference.

When I turn the Xbox 360 power on with the Ethernet cable connected, I see the corresponding modem connection light, light up, and it goes out after the xbox finishes its startup routine.

So..... From my, shall I say, persistence, I think I have found there is something different about the signal that the new Xbox 360 S Console needs from an Ethernet connection between itself and a modem. Different from the older consoles. At this point,
    I don't really care why, I just want to know what it needs so I can go looking for a modem that will support both Xbox's now.

I will replace my Modem router in my house if I have to, but with what? Some of the modems in xbox.com's recommended use list are modems people are reporting problems with. Really any helpful suggestions you can offer will be appreciated. If you need more
    info, let me know and I'll do my best to provide.

I'm Not unhappy, bewildered maybe, I love the product and just want to get the most out of it. Xbox 360 will not recognise Ethernet Cable :) Thanks for your help.

:)

BarnyBarnacle, Aug 5, 2014
  2. wazzalana
    wazzalana Guest
    xbox 360 won't find network wired and i don,t have a wireless connector?

Set up the console which is second hand from the kids dad. wont recognise that there is an Ethernet cable there at all and I do not have a wireless connector for the xbox 360 is there something wrong with the console or with the cable connection to the computer
    or modem/router?

can anybody help me plz"?

thnx in advance

wazzalana, Aug 5, 2014
  3. Xbox won't recognise ethernet cable..

Hi and thanks for reading..

When I have my Xbox 360 Slim connected to my modem/router (Netgear DGN2000) via an ethernet cable my Xbox doesn't recognise that there is a connection so I can't even run an Xbox Live connection test.

I have cycled the power for both Xbox and Modem.

I have tried multiple ethernet cables.

My Xbox can recognise a connection directly to another Xbox (ie can play system-link when ethernet cord connects the Xbox's).

A different Xbox (Xbox Elite) can connect to XBL via ethernet cable to modem.

I have tried making my Xbox the only device connected to the network.

Another identical model Xbox 360 Slim (bought in same pack Halo: Reach + Fable 3 combo http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-250GB-Holiday-Value-Bundle/dp/B005VBVQBU )
    has exactly the same issue.

I can connect to the same router using a wireless connect but I do not want to use wireless.

So the problem, I think, has to be that my modem will not communicate with my Xbox for some reason.

Port Forwarding isn't the issue as the Elite Xbox can connect to XBL.

The King SIayer, Aug 5, 2014
  4. Mister Darcy-9112DFB Win User

Xbox not recognising ethernet cable

Thanks for the update, GAME. Keep us posted! :)
  5. GMAN990 Win User

Hi,

Can you try :-

A different Ethernet cable

A different port on the router

Reset your Xbox network settings to factory defaults

Power off and disconnect all of the Xbox cables , wait 1 min and put them all back in again

If you still get the same message after that I sounds very likely that the Ethernet port on the Xbox is faulty
  6. nsyd Win User

well i've ordered a new ethernet cable, so i guess we just have to wait 3-5 days :S
  7. CornerPureEagle Win User

Xbox not recognising ethernet cable/laptop

Hello

you might need to check your network ports.

Please check this link it has a full guide on how to open ports and NAT:

forums.xbox.com/.../7448.aspx
  8. IkevvvvvHDz Win User

Xbox not recognising ethernet cable/laptop

Hi their i no the problem your having as i had the same problem what your trying to do is bridge connect and i believe the answer your looking for is in this support page that iv attached hope this helps :)
    support.microsoft.com/.../978618
Thema:

Xbox 360 will not recognise Ethernet Cable

1. Xbox 360 will not recognise Ethernet Cable - Similar Threads - 360 recognise Ethernet

2. Bying Xbox 360 game on Xbox One

in XBoX on Consoles
    Bying Xbox 360 game on Xbox One: I want to buy an Xbox 360 game on my Xbox one but it keeps telling me that I don’t have any valid payment option registered even though it’s not true. I have. Please help me, I don’t know what...
  3. Microsoft Xbox 360 Windows Controller times out then isnt recognised

in XBoX on Windows
    Microsoft Xbox 360 Windows Controller times out then isnt recognised: I have a wireless Microsoft Xbox 360 controller for PC. It connects and works fine. I mostly use it for playing Forza (on PC), and my problem is, when I am racing in a long race, or just get...
  4. XBOX 360 Slim S / HDD Not Recognised in Drive Bay..

in XBoX on Consoles
    XBOX 360 Slim S / HDD Not Recognised in Drive Bay..: So I have ensured the my 360 is up to date with the latest downloads.. I have bought what appear to be a Microsoft Hard Drive and the official MS Data Transfer Cable. I have managed to transfer...
  5. XB1 doesn't recognise 360 discs...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    XB1 doesn't recognise 360 discs...: Hi, is this a common problem or is there a known fix for it? Any help would be most appreciated, I've a ton of back compat games bought on disc over the years, and they remain useless as my xb1...
  6. 360 Discs Not Recognised

in XBoX Games and Apps
    360 Discs Not Recognised: None of my backwards compatible Xbox 360 game discs are being recognised. I have them all installed, and even played one earlier today. This evening, however, I insert the disc and it just...
  7. Xbox 360 won't recognise redeemed code

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox 360 won't recognise redeemed code: I recently redeemed a one month XBL code online. It said that the code was redeemed successfully. When I went to join a friend's party, an error message popped up, saying "You need a Gold...
  8. XBOX 360 doesn't recognise ny hand drive

in XBoX on Consoles
    XBOX 360 doesn't recognise ny hand drive: ok I have a problem entirely of my own making. I used a non standard transfer cable to copy my 60GB hard drive to a 250 GB drive i copied about 32 Gb before it told me the drive was full leaving...
  9. New Wireless N Network Adapter not recognised by XBox 360 on second use

in XBoX on Consoles
    New Wireless N Network Adapter not recognised by XBox 360 on second use: Hello, last week I bought a new Wireless N Networking Adapter for an XBox 360. I connected it to the XBox 360's rear USB port, and it worked straight away. It was used for about half an hour,...
  10. Xbox 360 wired controller not being recognised on Windows 8 laptop

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 wired controller not being recognised on Windows 8 laptop: I've downloaded the windows 7 software onto my laptop and the device doesn't show up through device manager or joy.cpl. I ran the software in windows 7 mode and it still isn't picking any...