Xbox 360 wired controller driver issue on Windows 7.

Discus and support Xbox 360 wired controller driver issue on Windows 7. in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hello, I'm having some trouble with a wired Xbox 360 controller on my laptop. When I first got it, there was no problem but after a while my laptop... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Asura 156, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Asura 156
    Asura 156 Guest

Hello,

I'm having some trouble with a wired Xbox 360 controller on my laptop. When I first got it, there was no problem but after a while my laptop seems to have "forgotten" it knows how to run it. When I plug it in, the center lights flash twice then not at all,
    then windows gives me a message that the device is not recognized.

I have downloaded the Accessories Status thing, I have tried uninstalling it in the device manager, but all this does is reinstall the driver for the unknown device. From what I can tell, this problem is with the driver itself. I have tried to find a way
    to get a file to download the new driver and I may have found one.

Though when I try to re-download the driver. It states that I must run it in compatibility mode that is either windows XP Service pack 1 or 2. When I run it with 2, it does not work and gives me the same message. My computer does not have Service pack 1
    and Microsoft, as far as I've searched, does not have it on their website.

I am running windows 7 64bit.

Thanks.

:)

Asura 156, Jun 18, 2014
  2. Xbox - controler compatibilty with PC

I can see how this is confusing for you, especially since the official support rep has said to buy the PC branded Xbox 360 wired controller. I can however concur with previous ambassadors response.
    You don't need to buy the PC branded controller.
    A standard Xbox 360 wired controller will work fine.

The only difference between the two is that the PC branded one comes with a driver disc. However, you don't need this driver disc if your PC is connected to the Internet as the drivers can be downloaded directly from Microsoft

here
    ">here

Typically, if you're running either Windows Vista or Windows 7, the driver should download automatically as soon as the controller is connected to the computer. No driver is required to be downloaded for Windows 8, as Xbox 360 controllers are fully
    supported by that OS already.

My Xbox wired controller works fine on my PC.

Obsessive Power, Jun 18, 2014
  3. Xbox 360 wired controller on Windows 7 (64bit) issue...

Okay I have really been struggling here. I have tried this controller on 2 separate machines now both running Windows 7 64bit. The controller worked great out of the box, driver installation and everything, but after playing for a couple hours it stopped
    responding, which is when I go into a constant unplugging the controller and plugging it back in kind of mode. Sometimes it works for 5 minutes, sometimes 5 seconds, no telling really, but it generally gets worse until I give up, and come back to it later,
    and enjoy a an hour or so of trouble free game play. I have tried everything driver and software wise, I have exhausted Google doing this. I've also seen others post similar experiences. The symptoms are identical on 2 separate machines, and this definitely
    seems like a hardware issue. My theory is it has something to do with how much power the controller draws, is there anyone out there that has some insight on this? Thanks.

SnoopySphinx445, Jun 18, 2014
  4. AndreFauteux_947 Win User

Xbox wirefree for win 7 not detected in joy.cpl

Hi Andre,

So to understand the situation you are on Windows 7 and you cannot find the driver for the Xbox controller but a Logitech controller does work when wired, is that correct?

If so, are you trying to use an Xbox 360 controller, and have you tried it wired as well?

Here is an article on how to calibrate Xbox 360 controllers for Windows. You'll need to plug it into the PC using a USB cable:

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-on-windows/accessories/calibrate-xbox-360-controller-for-windows

Step 1-C explains for Windows 7.
    Hi,

Yes my logitech wired works , but my xbox unwired doesn't . Is there a specific drivers for my xbox unwired that i should try ?

Tks for your support
  5. XBF Diego M Win User

Xbox wirefree for win 7 not detected in joy.cpl

Hi Andre,

So to understand the situation you are on Windows 7 and you cannot find the driver for the Xbox controller but a Logitech controller does work when wired, is that correct?

If so, are you trying to use an Xbox 360 controller, and have you tried it wired as well?

Here is an article on how to calibrate Xbox 360 controllers for Windows. You'll need to plug it into the PC using a USB cable:

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-on-windows/accessories/calibrate-xbox-360-controller-for-windows

Step 1-C explains for Windows 7.
  6. Bazajaytee Win User

Xbox 360 Controller does not work on my PC ?

I am guessing the controller is a wired controller as the Wireless controller with Wireless PC adapter comes with drivers on a DVD in the box which work with Windows 8 (I use them myself).

As mentioned earlier by IceStorm III, a wireless controller with a Play and Charge kit won't work as that play and charge kit only carries power to charge/run a wireless controller with your Xbox 360.

If it is indeed a wired Xbox 360 controller you are trying to use with Windows 8 you can use the Windows 7 drivers which you can download here:

www.microsoft.com/.../xbox-360-controller-for-windows
  7. MyJewlzHurt Win User

Will Xbox 360 slim controller work with Windows XP?

8. Obsessive Power Win User

Xbox - controler compatibilty with PC

I can see how this is confusing for you, especially since the official support rep has said to buy the PC branded Xbox 360 wired controller. I can however concur with previous ambassadors response.
    You don't need to buy the PC branded controller.
    A standard Xbox 360 wired controller will work fine.

The only difference between the two is that the PC branded one comes with a driver disc. However, you don't need this driver disc if your PC is connected to the Internet as the drivers can be downloaded directly from Microsoft

here
    ">here

Typically, if you're running either Windows Vista or Windows 7, the driver should download automatically as soon as the controller is connected to the computer. No driver is required to be downloaded for Windows 8, as Xbox 360 controllers are fully
    supported by that OS already.

My Xbox wired controller works fine on my PC.
Thema:

1. Xbox 360 wired controller driver issue on Windows 7. - Similar Threads - 360 wired controller

2. Can't Get my Wired Wireless X-Box 360 Controller To Work

in XBoX on Windows
    Can't Get my Wired Wireless X-Box 360 Controller To Work: Maybe I'm misinformed, but I believe it's possible to use old X-Box 360 controllers for PC games now. I'm not sure if this is only limited to just X-Box One games on PC or if it can be used for...
  3. Faulty wired XBOX 360 controller

in XBoX on Windows
    Faulty wired XBOX 360 controller: I have an issue with my wired XBOX 306 controller where it keeps on disconnecting and reconnecting and sometimes it doesn't connect at all. This is my third xbox controller, two of them I've...
  4. 360 wired controller vibration issue

in XBoX on Windows
    360 wired controller vibration issue: My 360 wired controller constantly loses vibration after each PC reboot. When it does, it lights top-right green sector of the circle (normal state is top-left). A simple re-plug fixes it, however...
  5. XBOX 360 WIRED CONTROLER WONT GET RECOGNIZED

in XBoX on Windows
    XBOX 360 WIRED CONTROLER WONT GET RECOGNIZED: So i had 1 controller which worked perfectly fine yesterday til now, and i went and bought another xbox 360 controller which is also wired to play 2 player games with friends. When I got home i...
  6. Xbox 360 wired controller

in XBoX on Windows
    Xbox 360 wired controller: I purchased an xbox 360 wired controller which worked perfectly after plugging in. After 2 weeks it only vibrates when connected, the light doesn't go on and it doesn't show up under "devices" on...
  7. How I [SOLVED] my issue of "Xbox 360 wired controller shows up as 'Unknown device' in...

in XBoX on Windows
    How I [SOLVED] my issue of "Xbox 360 wired controller shows up as 'Unknown device' in...: Hello! 3 Months ago i posted about an issue with my Xbox 360 wired controller, I have solved it since then, Why i am even writing about it now is because the user Teresa194 asked me how i solved...
  8. XBox 360 wired controller with windows 10

in XBoX on Windows
    XBox 360 wired controller with windows 10: I have two old wireless xbox 360 controllers that i want to use on my laptop with windows 10. Normally they function by plug and play, but at the moment they do not work at all. The controllers...
  9. Xbox 360 wired controller not connecting to Windows 10

in XBoX on Windows
    Xbox 360 wired controller not connecting to Windows 10: Hello. I need some help on this issue. I have been trying to connect my controller to my Inspiron ONE2330 (which is a Windows 10 Home desktop, 64-bit, powered by DELL) and is not working. I have...
  10. Xbox 360 wired controller with windows

in XBoX on Windows
    Xbox 360 wired controller with windows: Split from this thread. Hi ….please I want help my xbox 360 controller I download all drivers and make apdate for windows and the laptop give me sound when I connect wire but it does not work...